Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Rules of engagement changes discussion.

Hello Captains.. lets discuss the planned changes to ROE this patch. 

Patch is kind of radical and experimental. If you don't like it hold on - lets test it and adjust based on feedback.

Some of the features we are testing 

1) Battles are now going to close 10 mins after the start. In current game time 10 mins is 12 hours of real time and we believe this is enough to finish the battle (1 full day). This time can be tuned going forward. Bots will continue to enter battles as they see fit if they believe the player needs help. 

2) Enemy of the enemy is your friend. Battles are now open for all nations. But there are only 2 sides in battle. So if you are a british player and you enter the battle between the dutch and swedish players you will receive the swedish flag or a holland flag depending on the side you are reinforcing. After a first british player entered that battle all other brits will only be able to enter on his side.

3) Battle rating difference will be more important and will decide if reinforcements could be available. Players will not be able to reinforce the battle on the side that has 3x BR advantage. This rule does not work for nations being reinforced. 

4) Bots on the open world will actively pursue open battles and enter to reinforce weaker sides. Nations with lower port count (sweden, denmark and holland) will not experience this in full because they have a lot less ships in the OW. 

5) Friendly fire will be punished by 3x negative XP. Weekly tribunal will transfer players with large friendly fire numbers to pirates. Blocking, ramming or other forms of griefing of friendlies is strictly prohibited. Please report such behavior by F11. Deliberate and consistent griefing will be punished. 

Some of the mechanics described above are building the way for future player controlled alliances or peace agreements (that will take some time to code).

Lets discuss if these are fine. Propose ideas, changes or potential loopholes or red flags that we might have missed.

• Like 11

For part 2, are you saying there will be some kind of popup that will let us choose which side to defend?  Do you guys have long term plans design wise to make it so we can truly have 3 or 4 different nations duking it out in an instance?   Because that would be awesome...

Part 3 sounds pretty good, no more extreme seal clubbing...but I assume that wouldn't stop 10 trincs in a blockade from engaging a sole lynx if they all enter the battle at the same time?  It just blocks the 1 guy scouting with a fast ship and then all his buddies joining later?

For part 5, if you are I dunno 'having a bad week' and get made a pirate, is that a permanent faction change then?  Or is there some sort of way to get let back in with good behavior?  

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by blocking...I assume you mean in battle?  Isn't that a little hard to prove without a video and how exactly is that griefing? If someone wants to eat a few broadsides for me, I'm fine with it, I guess I don't understand that one...

*cough* so this patch is coming out tomorrow, right? :D *cough*

Edited by Booyaah

I like 1-4. For part 2 it would be awesome if reinforcements could keep flying their flag (visually) in the instance. Trafalgar here we come :)

Regarding 5 .. XP loss means you can get demoted or you'll just earn less from that particular battle?

Tribunal as in Sea Trials or an automated system? For piracy trials I would be afraid of automation to be honest.

2) Enemy of the enemy is your friend. Battles are now open for all nations. But there are only 2 sides in battle. So if you are a british player and you enter the battle between the dutch and swedish players you will receive the swedish flag or a holland flag depending on the side you are reinforcing. After a first british player entered that battle all other brits will only be able to enter on his side.

3) Battle rating difference will be more important and will decide if reinforcements could be available. Players will not be able to reinforce the battle on the side that has 3x BR advantage. This rule does not work for nations being reinforced. 

Lets discuss if these are fine. Propose ideas, changes or potential loopholes or red flags that we might have missed.

Does this mean if an escaping player happens to find a fleet of enemy NPC that has very high BR he can still escape into as in locking the instance from players because noone can reinforce the NPC's due to high BR? I propose BR mechanic removed for NPC's if possible.

Otherwise everything sounds nice, not sure about mixing PvE with PvP though, have to test and see before judging...

Edit: One situation that comes to my mind is a player who is getting ganked is locked out of reinforcements of his friends because some NPC fleet was passing by and joined into the battle, locking it for further player reinforcements due to BR.

Edited by Kaos

Regarding item 2 -- are you saying when you enter a battle between 2 other countries' ships you automatically reinforce the weaker side?

1. No probs here - usually by 10 mins you will spawn so far away that jumping in is pointless anyway.

2. EPIC! one thing that has been bugging me so far is a cowardly enemy jumping into an instance with a bot to avoid PVP. Now i can follow his yellow hide into the instance as an ally of the bots.

3. Kinda meh on this one PVP wise - moving forward if we want even pvp battles we can use the skirmish function won't we? In fact if you are an aggressive player you will always face more bot opponents - meaning no player can now enter my PVE battles unless allied.

4. may become annoying if you are grinding or fighting a large group of bots to have "allied" bots jump in and fire through you all the time. not to mention the ramming.....

5. NP

• Like 3

Does this mean if an escaping player happens to find a fleet of enemy NPC that has very high BR he can still escape into as in locking the instance from players because noone can reinforce the NPC's due to high BR? I propose BR mechanic removed for NPC's if possible.

Or you can join the battle on his side and help him. And maybe become friends.

Questions:

1. If a player has too many friendly fire hits and he became a pirate, is there a way to make your way back? restore reputation?

2. 2 players vs 1 player = 1 3rd rate, 1 1st rate vs 1 frigate - how will system react to this in reinforcement? you will need 3 frigates to kill 1st rate and damage 3rd rate. Are you introducing ship strength similar to Potbs? 

The rest looks good. 

The question is, if one team has 2x 1st rates, what reinforcement numbers will second team need to fill the strength gap between ships?

Are you introducing ship strength similar to Potbs? 

Battle rating system has been on since 21st Nov. All ships were balanced according to a certain battle rating, that was adjusted several times based on its performance in combat. XP rewards also depend on the BR difference (you might have noticed that already)

Or you can join the battle on his side and help him. And maybe become friends.

Or you can join his battle on his side to stalk him and attempt to catch him again when he leaves the AI battle. :)

Or you can join his battle on his side to stalk him and attempt to catch him again when he leaves the AI battle. :)

Or he can just log out at the post battle result screen, ending the stalk elegantly.

Or he can just log out at the post battle result screen, ending the stalk elegantly.

Is it possible to put a timer on this Admin? So that people will be "kicked" out of the post battle result screen?

- And about the friendly fire stuff. In case of accidental friendly fire will shouldn't we have a sub-thread in the tribunal where people can "confess" (E.g. In the heat of battle i ram Leviathan and damages him heavily. After the battle i go into the subthread and write a short "report" on what happened. Leviathan would go in and confirm and without "confirmation" one would still become a pirate. - I'm just worried that some of the less experienced players might automatically become pirates because of an automated process ^^) 

• Like 1

Battle rating system has been on since 21st Nov. All ships were balanced according to a certain battle rating, that was adjusted several times based on its performance in combat. XP rewards also depend on the BR difference (you might have noticed that already)

Is there an old post with the BR info?  I can't find it...

Is it possible to put a timer on this Admin? So that people will be "kicked" out of the post battle result screen?

Or just disallow logouts from a post battle screen, but yeah probably a 2-3 min visible timer counting down would be good as well.

Edited by Booyaah

It will always be more effective to put incentives in place that persuades players to accept fights, even fights they most likely will lose. We don't have that at all now so people do the only logical thing: run.

...And about the friendly fire stuff. In case of accidental friendly fire will shouldn't we have a sub-thread in the tribunal where people can "confess"...<snip>

You can't expect most players to visit the forums of the games they play.

Proposing an idea. Reinforcement system based on ship strength. Could be something that is already in the game.

IZ080dl.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1OGKgRV.jpg

Strength value is - ship guns+damage+armor etc

What do you think?

• Like 2

In current game time 10 mins is 12 hours of real time and we believe this is enough to finish the battle (1 full day). 

10 minutes of battle only?! According to you and your team's thinking, if you believe that 10 minutes is enough, increase the speed of ships, the rate of fire, the manouverability and other issues then. Will be more easier to us to finish a battle in that really short period of time. Aside from people will level up slower than before and have less time to capture prizes or suppressing the menaces in the nation's coasts, and giving more survival chances for people that will venture his own person and ship on almost-impossible enterprises.

Anyway, is just a test, test that isn't started yet. But I really not agree with the point 1 of your post.

¡Saludos!

You can't expect most players to visit the forums of the games they play.

If you aren't willing to go post that you accidentally hit a friendly (and get him to "confirm" for you) that is also fine. Then you would just have to rely on the automated process to NOT make you a pirate after accidental friendly fire or ramming ;) 

10 minutes of battle only?! According to you and your team's thinking, if you believe that 10 minutes is enough, increase the speed of ships, the rate of fire, the manouverability and other issues then. Will be more easier to us to finish a battle in that really short period of time. Aside from people will level up slower than before and have less time to capture prizes or suppressing the menaces in the nation's coasts, and giving more survival chances for people that will venture his own person and ship on almost-impossible enterprises.

Anyway, is just a test, test that isn't started yet. But I really not agree with the point 1 of your post.

¡Saludos!

I am sure you misread the post somehow.

Battle still last for 1 hour.

It closes in 10 minutes. If you cannot reach the battle in 12 hours (10 mins game time) you won't be able to enter to reinforce. 

• Like 6

pls make it so bots dont attack(split) humans on os anymore and make a duel function addition to the battle timer, so when after 1, or 2 min nobody joins a  fight the battle locks (when the enemys are roughly equal)

i rather have the enemy get reinforced by magical teleporting players than bots, or at least let players in future take over those bots

i like you guys being radical and experimental, this gets stuff done.

Yes, I think the amount that bots attack humans needs to be turned down by like 50% or so.

I am sure you misread the post somehow.

Battle still last for 1 hour.

It closes in 10 minutes. If you cannot reach the battle in 12 hours (10 mins game time) you won't be able to enter to reinforce. 

Yes, it's true. I have read again and again your post and realised that my bad english understanding have won over me. I see now. Sorry about that.

I agree with your point 1.  :lol:

Also, we need to be able to group into "Fleet's" like the AI. (So that when travelling 3 frigates together, the AI will count their combined battlerating before choosing to attack, flee or ignore the play)

• Like 4

Just a question from someone waiting to get in. But does NPC fleet engage other NPC Fleet?

In the heat of battle damage to friendlies happens, ramming/over shooting, During ST, I know I rammed a few friends and even shoot a couple, all accidently.   Point #5 will hard to implement fairly,  it is one thing for two members of say TDA to work it out on the forums, and a completely different matter for members of two different nations to do so.

Edited by DesertRat