Game-Labs Forum

Merchant Ship Collection (With Plans)

Ned Loe

Falmouth - The Falmouth was commenced by Mr. Perry to Blackwall Yard (England) on the 22nd of August 1750 and launched on 14th August 1752 as show on page 27 of "Chronicles of Blackwall Yard" by Henry Green and Robert Wigram . It was the first trading vessel of the English Indiaman Companies and showed a close resemblance to a warship in sail plan and rigging, with the most up-to-date reef-points to her topsails The ship was equipped with a large amount of artillery, unusual for the trading vessels of that period. In that she was run along the lines of naval discipline was due to the fact that the vessel could sail alone without any convoy ship, since its rich load was a good bounty for all the enemy vessels and pirate ships.

The Falmouth could easily combat a war-ship of the same tonnage, thanks to its crew of 180 experienced men including the best trained gunners. The superiority of the crew was partly due to the incentive granted to each gunman allowing each individual to transport his own 5 tonnage of goods there and 2 tonnage back. These goods were usually sold as smuggled goods to the black market. The Falmouth was of 499 tons and was in service until 1764 completing five voyages for the East India Company under the Captain George Hepburn. She was lost on her sixth voyage, wrecked at Sogar Bank in 1766.
Guns: 36

di-T4YINSEV.jpg
di-O57FWJT9.jpg
di-CJENRXAT.jpg

di-M2FDD37F.jpg

Galeas from Stettin - is a small type of trade ship, which was common in the Baltic Sea and North Sea from the 17th to the early 20th centuries. The galeas was developed from the Dutch galliot, which was rigged in a similar way, but was equipped with a rounded stern. This ship carries the flag of the Baltic seaport Stettin.

di-KQQ2WHWV.jpg

German galiot and dutch galiot:
di-UHMCBLQL.jpg
di-8CPRBLP9.jpg
di-LE908DLR.jpg

Spanish Merchant Frigate 

Frigate belonging to the Real Compañía Guipuzcoana de Caracas. Merchant frigates from Gipuzkoa were the key to the success of this trading company. They consolidated the transatlantic transport and economy of the province at a time when pirates, privateers or enemy fleets were the scourge of transoceanic trade. The swift Gipuzkoan frigates proved their worth against enemies and rivals.

di-R349SFOA.jpg
di-XCKKESYH.jpg
di-28WCDLYA.jpg
di-G7UJZ9LM.jpg

di-KMAXNGVB.jpg

where you found the images?

That's not a merchant ship :) That's the equivalent of a Bentley's or Rolls Royce: it's a very expensive passenger vessel for the "Well-to-do" and Royalty :)

If calling it a merchant ship is what it takes to get such a beautiful ship in the game, I'm all for it.  :D

HM Brig Supply - 1759

H.M. Brig Supply was launched in 1759 as a Deptford yard transport. In 1786 she was converted to an armed tender. It is in her modified form that she wrote herself into history by arriving ahead of the first convict fleet in Australian waters. She was also the first to sail into Port Jackson. H.M. Brig Supply is now known as the ship from which Australia was founded.

di-E1NDHYFC.jpg

di-YP3A2KIK.jpg

Nuestra Senora de Pilar - 50 guns merchant ship from 1731. Large hold up to 500 tonnes cargo. Ship was sailing 20 years from Acapulco to Manilla. 

Guns:  22x18 pounders

22x10 pounders

6x6 pounders

plus 10 x 3 pound mortars

di-UKH8NQPV.jpg
di-GJFSCK78.jpg
di-MWKA2H4M.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Description Scale: 1:48. A plan showing the inboard detail for 'Elphinstone' (1825), a 114ft three-masted merchant ship. Mould Loft Number 60. The Lloyd's Survey Reports (LON64 and LON1505) do not record the shipbuilder or the dimensions, but the tonnage is the same. Moreover, LON64 states that she was fitted with iron lodging and hanging knees, and had 'diagonal ceiling from clamps of lower deck beams down to the thickstuff of bilges'.

large.jpg

Description Scale: 1:48. A plan showing the body plan, sheer lines with inboard detail, and longitudinal half-breadth for Walker (circa 1780), a three-masted 110ft merchantman built at Blackwall. The dimensions on the plan are described "as for frigates". Pencil annotation on reverse suggests she was built about 1776, and converted to a Sloop, however no provenance for this.

large.jpg

Edited by Hairy Fishnuts

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if this has been mentioned and I don't know where this goes.

There is a book from Seawatch Books about 17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships by Ab Hoving and Cor Emke and models by Herbert Tomesen and photos by Emiel Hoving (Photshop)..  152 pages 24 sets of plans (12 ships)  both in 1/4 and 1/8 scale.

I have this book as I am going to build several of these models.  Plans are too large to scan.

There are plans for a second volume but unfortunately Cor Emke died in March of this year.  He is the one that creates all the plans.

Seawatchbooks has many books with plans from professional shipbuilders.  I have several of there books, plans included.

There are many other sites/links that have plans and descriptions of ships. (I was approached by a person named Alex - from Game labs, on modelshipworld on plans and I sent him many links.

For more info on any ship go to modelshipworld.com  The largest and most visited model ship website on this side of the galaxy.

Marcus

• Like 1

Seagoing Vessels:
Pinas Witsen – scale 1-96 – 4 sheets of plans.
Fluit “Langewijk” – scale 1-96 – 3 sheets of plans.
Fluit “Zeehaen” (Able Tasman) – scale 1-96 – 3 sheets of plans.
Fluit “Roode Leeuw” – scale 1-96 – 2 sheets of plans.
Cat “Peacock” – scale 1-96 – 1 sheet of plans.

Coastal Trade:
Boyer 86ft – scale 1-48 – 3 sheets of plans.
Galliot – scale 1-48 – 2 sheets of plans.

Inshore:
The Narrow- & Wide-ship – scale 1-48 – 2 sheets of plans.
Kaag – scale- 1-48 – 1 sheet of plans.

Fishermen as Traders:
Buss 1598 – scale 1-96 – 1 sheets of plans.
Hooker – scale 1-96 – 1 sheets of plans.
Pink – scale 1-48 – 1 sheet of plans.

If im correct, these are the ships in there.

• Like 1

That's not a merchant ship :) That's the equivalent of a Bentley's or Rolls Royce: it's a very expensive passenger vessel for the "Well-to-do" and Royalty :)

Just like the paviljoen, Heren, Prinsen jachten, but there are many flat and round bottom yachts that are merchant vessels.  They occurred mostly in the inner waterways.

Marcus

• 1 month later...

If calling it a merchant ship is what it takes to get such a beautiful ship in the game, I'm all for it.  :D

Wicked mouse is correct by mentioning that the Utrecht is not a merchant vessel.

The term "yacht" originates from the Dutch word jacht "hunt". It was originally defined as a light fast sailing vessel used by the Dutch navy to pursue pirates and other transgressors around and into the shallow waters of the Low Countries.

Luxury States-yachts were based on war-yachts, and used in the 17th and 18th century to transport prominent members of Dutch society in great comfort over shallow rivers and inland waters. Between 1600 and 1800 around two hundred states-yachts were built in Holland. All single masted ships, of 15 to 30 meters (49 to 98 ft) in length. They were the equivalent of today’s chauffeur driven Maybachs and Rolls Royces.

States-yachts were owned by the States of Holland and the Dutch East India Company to maintain contact between large merchant vessels and the shore based headquarters.

Yacht of the VOC chamber of Rotterdam

In the 18th century wealthy merchants also started using luxury states-yachts as means of transportation or purely as pleasure yachts.

The crew was located next to the galley near the bow of the yacht. The large windows on the stern provided natural light for the guests in the main saloon.

The first Royal yacht was the "Mary". The Yacht Mary was built in the Netherlands and was presented to Prince Charles Stuart by the town of Amsterdam on the occasion of his proclamation to King of England.  Measuring 66 feet in length by 18 feet in the beam, it was 100 tons burden and carried an armament of six

three-pounder guns. The hull is of a typical Dutch form with a flat and shallow draught using adjustable lee-boards to act as a keel when under sail.

It is considered the prototype of the pleasure-boats.

General information about Yachts.

"Yacht" a boat with decks, sails and cabins, It draws very little water & is excellent for short voyages. One is accustomed to using them for promenades & short crossings."

For centuries, the Netherlands had depended upon and

cultivated its countless waterways as its primary means of transportation, both of goods and of people. The successful opening of trade with the Indies brought vast wealth to whole sectors of Dutch society, and it was only natural that this bounty expressed itself on the sea.   Even prior to the "great boom" of the early 1600's, many of the Netherlands' small, open or half-decked craft, such as the round-sterned Kaag, were often used as pleasure craft. It was an easy and natural progression to deck them over and provide for a small cabin, usually aft, but occasionally in the middle of the boat. As Dutch town-dwellers grew more affluent, more and more of these crafts were being built exclusively for pleasure. By 1620 hundreds of yachts were plying Holland's canals and its inland sea some owned by the Dutch East India Company and its officers, but many more owned by shareholders and other indirect beneficiaries. As early as 1630, boisterous racing competitions were being staged, often pitting neighboring cities against each other in friendly rivalries. Waterborne parades and even mock-battles became a staple of Dutch entertainment culture; even their pleasure-yachts celebrated the country's naval prowess by carrying cannons.

Thank you for reading.

Marcus

• Like 1

All my old hosting went down so i post here my merchant ship collection:

Vlissingen 1747 Dutch Indiaman:

QEae6rm.jpg

HMS Supply:

l9GjyFW.jpg

ocP4GDn.jpg

Prince of Wales - Indiaman:

TMfT6hl.jpg

Wxzi5Lk.jpg

5H942yx.jpg

mWqFUnE.jpg

89QTAc0.jpg

Portsmouth:

FdBSoZ2.jpg

Nuestra Senora del Pilar:

TxEffOo.jpg

IHShlg7.jpg

wNWObnj.jpg

Unknown Spanish Merchant Frigate from Caracas Trading Company:

IBCvyiG.jpg

uQQTB0F.jpg

8zedRxt.jpg

EK59GZ1.jpg

Investigator:

F8wdsSB.jpg

gW6Yzmb.jpg

RUqWBOd.jpg

Il Luedo - barque:

VcthIbZ.jpg

k1FTQMk.jpg

fovsIoZ.jpg

HMS Glatton:

DLA4U7V.jpg

Goetheborg:

XfYiu3Z.jpg

idEpLAU.jpg

okDSUUX.jpg

Geldermalsen:

DAtMAVM.jpg

JZVyQSb.jpg

730HRId.jpg

German Galiot:

FBEt5as.jpg

Galiot Die Stad Elbing:

ZwV9lcD.jpg

Falmouth:

RElbDPz.jpg

MUC6tmE.jpg

FChrgKO.jpg

MwVmm9Z.jpg

Dutch galiot 1740:

ucVTHuH.jpg

LZWC35M.jpg

Cato:

LZWC35M.jpg

rOfwb3v.jpg

• Like 4

Bart,

Where did you get that picture from the Vlissingen? I know a professional modeler who has the actual model that was built around the 1900's. Bought this at an auction with other large models that need repair. If you have any more information I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Marcus

Bart,

Where did you get that picture from the Vlissingen? I know a professional modeler who has the actual model that was built around the 1900's. Bought this at an auction with other large models that need repair. If you have any more information I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Marcus

From uncle Google im afraid...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...