Game-Labs Forum

Booyaah's One Google Map to rule them all !!

added the end of north america to the map it was told to me by some players that went there claim to be around the US/Canada Border.

When I was there the last week, the end of US Coast was roughly in the Virginia with North Carolina border.

added the end of north america to the map it was told to me by some players that went there claim to be around the US/Canada Border.

I just saw that new point and wondered 'did someone really spend all that time sailing up the US coast?'  That's pretty hardcore, how long did that voyage end up taking you?  Would be cool if they added like 50 US ports along that coast :)

That would be a wast of time... just like adding a lot of the south american coast where Portugal own everything would be a wast of time.

We need areas where many nations got ports.

I think GL plans to add a lot of areas, even the English Channel at some point.  It isn't necessarily a waste of time if we have the population.

I don't know who is doing it by someone is going through and moving a lot of the ports around in the community map to locations where they actually are not. For instance mimbres in the bahamas is now in the completely wrong spot for where it actually is in the game world. Just thought I'd let you know so you can clarify it booyah.

Edited by Tom Selleck

English channel got English on one side and french on the other, The dutch near by... so a lot of differnet nations in the area.

Problem with north america would be that it is only US ports... and then british ports in Canda.

Ahh i don't see that as a problem at all. If resources are going to reflect what they were historically during the time period then the U.S. players in order to maximize profits will by shipping logging from the U.S. ports to other nations ports, which means there will be a lot of fat merchant vessels making long voyages to and from the desert isle that is the U.S. area, which means a target rich environment. ;-)

Booyaa, R u gonna close the map at one point befor stuppid ppl change things to annoy others?! It would be a shame if it would get screwed up by others.

A lot of it is already screwed up.  He will have to go through and verify things to get it right, or have others post inaccuracies and he can change them.

Booyaah...Great job on the map !  Which link is the most current to the locked down map?  I see two on the original post. 

Also, I noticed on one map there is an X-0 line.  My understanding is that any location west of this line is displayed at - ####### (negative coordinate) and anything to the right is displayed at ##### (positive coordinates for our Caribbean map only).  That being said, there appear to be several ports in the Bahamas particularly where it seems that according to what the coordinates show for the port, they would be on the other side of the zero (X) line.

I guess my question is, are the port X - Z coordinates correct or is the X-0 line accurate?

I wonder how the coming wipe will effect this map?  Keep up the great work Booyaah.  Thanks again.

Dean

Booyaah...Great job on the map !  Which link is the most current to the locked down map?  I see two on the original post. 

Also, I noticed on one map there is an X-0 line.  My understanding is that any location west of this line is displayed at - ####### (negative coordinate) and anything to the right is displayed at ##### (positive coordinates for our Caribbean map only).  That being said, there appear to be several ports in the Bahamas particularly where it seems that according to what the coordinates show for the port, they would be on the other side of the zero (X) line.

I guess my question is, are the port X - Z coordinates correct or is the X-0 line accurate?

I wonder how the coming wipe will effect this map?  Keep up the great work Booyaah.  Thanks again.

Dean

Google maps is not THE map and has inaccuracies when trying to use it.  It looks like someone disabled the coordinates

Google maps is not THE map and has inaccuracies when trying to use it.  It looks like someone disabled the coordinates

This, the problem is I actually went to the 0 x-axis.  Google maps does not line up with the in-game island formations in the Bahamas around Nassau where the 'middle' axis is.  Primarily because they are using Age of Sail maps and not modern day maps to create their game world map.  I've tried to place close guesstimates of where I think the ports should have been displayed on Google maps, but it really can't be exact as the island formations don't even line up.  I have brought this to the attention of the devs in the inconsistencies thread.

The current 0 x-axis is just there to give you a 'relatively' close approximation.  I'm sorry if you navigated based on the visual spot where the port was listed and it was actually on the other side.  That is why I wanted in-game coordinates to be listed for each port, and then each capt can look at his actual in-game coords and figure out navigation wise if he needs to head N/S/E/W.

Dean

The first map is the locked down one that no one currently can touch but myself.  The lower one anyone can update, I just left it there because, well at least I can compare inconsistencies.  I moved a few ports around last night back to what should have been their approximate visual location on the official map as it was clear someone had probably accidentally dragged them a few inches off on the map scale.  

Also, if you want to help me contribute more directly to the locked map, I don't mind giving out edit privileges to individuals, I'll just need you to PM me the email address attached to your google account.

• Like 1

Either there is significant distortion in the Mercator projection on Google map, or someone has incorrectly documented the latitude of United States ports on the East coast. Bermuda is not south of Wilmington as indicated on the map under discussion here, as far as the game coordinates of Somerset conclude.

Twenty two days at sea and rations were running short :P

Edited by Hugo Leopard

Either there is significant distortion in the Mercator projection on Google map, or someone has incorrectly documented the latitude of United States ports on the East coast. Bermuda is not south of Wilmington as indicated on the map under discussion here, as far as the game coordinates of Somerset conclude.

The map doesn't have a known projection as far as I know, and I think it has a made up projection.  It was procedurally generated, probably from some image that was adjusted so that the algorithm could read it better.  Maybe it is based off some old map. 

Someone found Bermuda.  I don't know how.  I suggested in another thread how I would try to find it, and someone found it shortly after I posted it, I don't know if what I suggested helped them or not.  But I would travel due east of Charlestown for several hours.  It is probably at least a 2 hour trip if you are in a Coni or Trinc.