Game-Labs Forum

Hello!

I was wondering about how to take game immersion to the next level. There is a device called Oculus Rift, which is a visual headset that basically, places the player inside the game! No amount of monitors can offer the in-depth imersion that the OR offers.

How cool would be it, to sit at the helm, watching the ship crash against the waves of a huge stormy sea?!

There are some games out there that already support the OR device. War Thunder is one of them.

Right now, there is only a dev kit, which is rare, buggy, has low resolution and it is incredibly expensive, although, once they become mainstream, the upcoming games will definitely embrace the technology. I think that Naval Action should have OR support, to stand out of any other sailing game.

It already has some pretty stunning graphics!

Here is the official Oculus Rift website link, for those who want to know more about it :)

http://www.oculusvr.com/

Have a good day!

Wow, that was a quick reply!

That is great to know! I can't wait to get one and try it on Naval Action!

I'm sure I will be ok, I went fishing on the high seas, in a small motorized boat, near Ericeira, a portuguese coastal port.

Everybody was puking the hell out of them, while I drunk my beer and fished some big bad boys (not bragging :P).

I could definetly see OC making me sick, I don't really get sea sick but the combination of bouncing up and down vision whilst my inner ear tells me I am stock still sounds like a recipe for disaster. I suppose you could maybe have some kind of camera smoothing to make it more bearable, but I doubt it would be easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I wanted to expand on the idea. 

With the new Rift headsets, they have said that have all but eliminated the motion sickness, and increased the resolution etc.

What I want to see is Rift inclusion coupled with voice commands. Imagine standing on your quarterdeck, next to your 1st Lt, giving commands. Yelling for ship to tack, trim sails, run out guns, hoist the colours etc etc. The immersion and experience could be amazing. Now imagine all this with no UI. All information relayed through voice. The bosun letting you know how much water is being taken on, a man up above shouting down, reporting damage to the enemy ship. Master gunners informing you that a gun has exploded. No UI. It would be amazing. And the technology is there. 

You could even make a MP mode just for that, so everyone is on the same playing field. Restricted to 1st person, standing on the deck with no UI. I cannot imagine a game I'd rather play.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First of all, I don't see how the Oculus Rift guys think they can negate the nauseating effects of visual motion when your inner ear balance systems are telling you that you are rock steady....... I have over 20 years experience at sea without EVER being seasick but find I can get very close very quickly to motion sickness just by driving a tank in WoT over rough ground in sniper mode.....

Secondly...check this out for your voice commands www.voiceattack.com  I use it and it is simple and reliable and also cheap.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I was wondering about how to take game immersion to the next level. There is a device called Oculus Rift, which is a visual headset that basically, places the player inside the game! No amount of monitors can offer the in-depth imersion that the OR offers.

How cool would be it, to sit at the helm, watching the ship crash against the waves of a huge stormy sea?!

There are some games out there that already support the OR device. War Thunder is one of them.

Right now, there is only a dev kit, which is rare, buggy, has low resolution and it is incredibly expensive, although, once they become mainstream, the upcoming games will definitely embrace the technology. I think that Naval Action should have OR support, to stand out of any other sailing game.

It already has some pretty stunning graphics!

Here is the official Oculus Rift website link, for those who want to know more about it :)

http://www.oculusvr.com/

Have a good day!

its just alpha how bet letting them work on bug's and fixes and developing content 1st to get hte game where they want it ( new ship's, new resources, etc etc )

stuff like this OR should come at the tail end or maybe when it goes to beta