Game-Labs Forum

La Grace, Trader Brig (With Plans)

Ned Loe

La Grace

Her construction is based on the plans which were published in Architectura navalis mercatoria from 1768 by a Sweedish admiral Fredrik Henrik af Chapman. He was probably the greatest ship constructor of all times who laid foundation to modern ship construction based on accurate building plans. Long before Ford he established a „flow production“ from prearranged parts and thanks to this idea he cut down the construction time 10x. Many war and trade ships were constructed by his plans. And on his plans are based all modern replicas of historical sailing ships from 15 to 18 century.

La Grace was also renowned for her corsair activities. Especially well-known is her victory over two Spanish barques carrying sugar, tobacco and wine near the coast of Guatemala.

Technical description

Length of hull 23,8 m

Max. length inkl. jib boom 32,3 m

Width 6,06m

Draught 2,8 m

Displacement 125 t

Sail area 364 m2

High of masts 25 m

Crew 37

IMGP5455.jpg

Plans:

staryplan.gif

• Like 7

Wow; she's a beauty. I feel as though she would be a good trading vessel. One thing that sticks out to me is that she's fairly flat despite the noticeable stern and forecastles; not very curvy in comparison to the other brig models. 

I couldn't tell if she had armament or not looking at the plans, yet the photograph shows four gun ports- perhaps totaling at eight guns for the brig. How will this model be armed in-game, may I ask? Personally, I think the four guns per side would be great- enough to put up a bit of a fight versus an enemy but not enough to qualify her as a warship. 

Anyway- looks like fun :)

• 9 months later...