Game-Labs Forum

Ship Crew Sizes & OW Ranks

Dom

Hey there guys, I am making this thread because I thought it would be useful for us players to know how many crew members each ship requires to sail properly, especially when in the Open World Test. I did look for a thread like this but had no luck finding one so apologies if someone has already made one! I have added the OW ranks with their max crew now and will update this as soon as more ranks are added etc.   :)

Ship Crew Sizes: 

Lynx - Full crew size of 40 (Battle rating 5)

Cutter - Full crew size of 40 (Battle rating 20)

Privateer - Full crew size of 55 (Battle rating 20)

Pickle - Full crew size of 55 (Battle rating of 20)

Yacht - Full crew size of 40 (Battle rating 30)

Brig - Full crew size of 120 (Battle rating 25)

NavyBrig - Full crew size of 135 (Battle rating 35)

Snow - Full crew size of 130 (Battle rating 35)

Mercury - Full crew size of 135 (Battle rating 60)

Cerberus - Full crew size of 195 (Battle rating 80)

Surprise - Full crew size of 244 (Battle rating 100)

Renommee - Full crew size of 240 (Battle rating 120)

Belle Poule - Full crew size of 280 (Battle rating of 150)

Frigate (Cherubim) - Full crew size of 280 (Battle rating 150)

Pirate Frigate - Full crew size of ??? (Battle rating 160)

Trincomalee - Full crew size of 315 (Battle rating 180)

Constitution - Full crew size of 450 (Battle rating 250)

Bellona - Full crew size of 650 (Battle rating 280)

Pavel - Full crew size of 830 (Battle rating 270)

Victory - Full crew size of 850 (Battle rating 300)

Santisima - Full crew size of 1050 (Battle rating 330)

Open World Ranks:

Midshipman - Max crew of 40

Ensign - Max crew of 60

Junior Lieutenant - Max crew of 120

Lieutenant - Max crew of 150

First Leutenant - 200

Master & Commander - Max crew of 250

Post Captain - Max crew of 350

Flag Captain - Max crew of 650

Commodore - Max crew of 800

Rear Admiral - Max crew of 1100

Vice Admiral - Unknown Crew Size

Admiral of the Fleet - Unknown Crew Size

Edited by BungeeLemming
edited with most recent crew per rank
  • Like 29

Yeah I have moved my thread to this part of the forum as it is easier for people to find and view.

Also the post has been updated as the Ensign and Midshipman rank have been switched around in seniority! :) 

Edited by Dom
  • Like 2

Yeah I have moved my thread to this part of the forum as it is easier for people to find and view.

Also the post has been updated as the Ensign and Midshipman rank have been switched around in seniority! :)

That may be correct in the real world, but in the game, the order is currently Ensign -> Midshipman -> Jr. Lieutenant.  Admin has stated that those ranks will be changing in the near future so they weren't going to correct it right away.

That may be correct in the real world, but in the game, the order is currently Ensign -> Midshipman -> Jr. Lieutenant.  Admin has stated that those ranks will be changing in the near future so they weren't going to correct it right away.

In the new version which is going to be released it will be Midshipman then Ensign.

Awesome post! Thanks very much for the information ;) Mind if I ask if anyone has any information about the Snow in the list of crews sizes? Seems to be missing from the list... think I saw it crying in the corner, all left out and alone  :o  :o

• Like 1

Hey Dom. So, as far as i can tell a Commodore has 650 crew. I'm in a Bell and i've maxed it out so i'll have to get a Victory to check for sure. But i think you can go ahead and add it. ^^

Hey Tommy, thanks for that info I will go ahead and add that.

I am quite in discomfort with the flag ranks used since you only command a single ship.
It would be great when we can find 2 more ranks to replaces the admirals.
My own suggestion: Frigate Captain, comming in after M&C and moving the other ranks one step higher It is a rank fitting in the timeline as can be demonstrated by the fact that M&C had a single epaulette on the left shoulder, FrigateC a single one on the right shoulder and the Postcaptain had two.
Correct me when I should be wrong, this knowledge is based on Hornblower (on the Hotspur).

If the admiral ranks can't be replaced (lack of other historical correct ranks) then atleast strike out "of the fleet" to make the top rank a regular admiral. An admiral of the fleet would be the single most high ranked naval officer of a nation and having multiple players of this rank just seems stupid.

Edited by BlueEagleGER
  • Like 1

All rank names are "provisional".  They're place holders for now.

With regards to "English" ranks, I'd agree that the "Of the Fleet" is excessive and I'd like to see the top rank simply be "Admiral" as well, with maybe an extra Lieutenant added perhaps.  One challenge is that many Navies at the time had a rank structure that was far more flat than we need to indicate advancements in progression, from memory, I think the US Navy only had 3 or 4 total Officer ranks at the time.  I suppose a few ahistorical nods to gameplay might have to be made.

Reached Rear Admiral just now. 

- Rear Admiral is currently the last rank. From the first looks of it the default crew size as Rear Admiral is 1000 Crew. I'll confirm later.

Cheers.

Thanks again for the info Tommy!