Game-Labs Forum

USS Constitution's Current Restoration Project

NorthernWolves

For the first time in 20 years she will enter drydock. The overall Navy mission is to "bring the USS Constitution to her War of 1812 appearance, as far as practicable

35 large White Oak trees from Indiana were selected to replace 30-40ft long rotted hull planks. She will be in drydock until 2017. 

The Live Oak frames and knees underwent ultrasonic inspection in 1992 and some frames were replaced, but most importantly diagonal riders were restored to correct the hogging that occurred. They had been removed in 1927 and this proved to be a mistake.

Their restoration corrected the problem. Another testament to the innovations of Joshua Humphreys.

at-dock.jpg

White Oak planking

1742-1_010-copy.jpg

• Like 9

Any chance of getting your hands on the old timbers? ;)

Unlikely because the ones coming out this time are 'rotted' planks, probably wouldn't be of much use. There is some Live Oak that was submerged in a holding pond in Boston for 50 years for future use and during the '92 restoration they took these out and analyzed the timbers to see if they still had the same integrity after being under water for so long and it was determined they did not. However they would make a great table!

Looking at these pictures.. I notice there is quite a bit of tumblehome on the real ship compared to the ingame model.

I have the exact same impression. It's hard to be certain, though. I suppose the paint, guns and chainplates could obstruct the view in-game, and create an illusion where the tumblehome isn't noticeable.

I bought one of the pens on a visit last summer before she was down rigged for dry dock. I think during every refurbishment they set aside some of the wood  for these souvenirs. It has "USS Constitution" carved/engraved on the barrel and works well as a pen too. I think it was about $50, but certainly worth it!

• Like 2

There is no evidence that a Copper or Muntz metal clad vessel was faster than not clad.It was to stop marine Worms and Weed from growing on the Hull,thus slowing the ship down.Adding copper had its drawbacks as it reacted with the ships iron bolts.hence the invention of Muntz Metal which was a copper and zinc alloy.This reduced the electrolytic effect on iron bolts.Muntz metal has its own problems,notably that it as to be worked hot.Its still in use today,most notably on the Cutty Sark.

Cutty_Sark_stern_zpsrokkkvxy.jpg

The Coppering of Royal Navy Ships was a slow affair to start with which was hampered buy the issue of the iron bolts reacting.Slowly the fleet was retrofitted with new bolts.The first ship to be coppered was HMS Alarm,but in 2 years the bolts holding her together were shot so the copper was removed.Had it not been for several Conflicts Coppering probably would never have happened.The use of copper allowed the Fleet to stay at sea for far longer thus maximising the Royal Navy's combat efficiency.Interestingly,Merchant vessels were invariably not copper sheathed,possibly due to the stingyness of the Owners.

Any word on if the headrails or stern will be changed? The current head and stern date to the 1830s-50s in aesthetic if not in actual timbers. Unfortunately the original plan for the transom is lost, but the original head and quarter galleries were much prettier and more 1812 appropriate than what is on the ship currently

http://home.comcast.net/~iver.franzen/ConstitSailScan.jpg

Any word on if the headrails or stern will be changed? The current head and stern date to the 1830s-50s in aesthetic if not in actual timbers. Unfortunately the original plan for the transom is lost, but the original head and quarter galleries were much prettier and more 1812 appropriate than what is on the ship currently

http://home.comcast.net/~iver.franzen/ConstitSailScan.jpg

I certainly hope so. I think the current ones are quite ugly, really.

• Like 1

There is no evidence that a Copper or Muntz metal clad vessel was faster than not clad .It was to stop marine Worms and Weed from growing on the Hull, thus slowing the ship down

Something of a contradiction in there. I'm sure they were well aware the coper itself didn't make the ship faster, the reduced biofouling was the aim.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...