• Brig Mercury - 20 guns
    • Ingermanland - 64 guns
    • Developer wild card

Here we go - Final voting

Enormous Nuestra Señora de la Santísima Trinidad

sVt4Psg.gif

Beautiful San Felipe 3 decker

1VE4gYJ.jpg

but.. there are some doubts on its authenticity.

http://www.modelships.de/San_Felipe_1690_authenticity/San_Felipe_1690_authenticity.htm

HMS Ontario - graceful snow

FfyF6Uc.jpg

Unsinkable Brig Mercury (Меркурий)

UrdA0fYl.jpg

Ingermanland (Ингерманланд)

Peter the Great designed and participated in construction of the ship

n9vMj6zl.jpg

Wild Card

we pick the ship ourselves. 

• Like 4

Everyone who's voting should remember that the Santísima Trinidad was so slow and bad at maneuvering that it was suggested she be restricted to sitting at anchor at Cadiz, like a floating battery. That famous fourth row of guns was made up of 6-pounders, which are basically useless in a real battle, except for making really tiny holes in sails. And for all that, there were larger battleships in the period who could actually sail.

• Like 1

Hahaha, now now Dr Maturin, no leading the jury :P

...but yeah, what he said. Floating fortress, bugger all use to man 'na beast. Clearly it's between Mercury and Ontario, and only one of those has HMS as a prefix, so... :)

The main reason I went for HMS Ontario is that there's no excuse for it not to be the most detailed representation of a vessel of this period ever seen in a digital format. The real thing is well documented and, well, still here! It should be perfect, it should be beautiful, it should be incredibly useful in-game.

Also, I like snows :)

Baggy

ps. Thanks for the poll, appreciate the ability to have an input.

Everyone who's voting should remember that the Santísima Trinidad was so slow and bad at maneuvering that it was suggested she be restricted to sitting at anchor at Cadiz, like a floating battery. That famous fourth row of guns was made up of 6-pounders, which are basically useless in a real battle, except for making really tiny holes in sails. And for all that, there were larger battleships in the period who could actually sail.

She was actually built as a 112 gun ship.  Later they basically tacked a third deck on to increase the number of guns she could carry, then a fourth deck for those 6lbers..  I imagine that affected her seaworthiness.

The Russians built dedicated 130 gun ship in 1800 called the Blagodat.  She never saw action, though.  Apparently issues with construction kept her in harbor for most of the Napoleonic Wars.

On the other hand, her broadside was 3/4 of a ton :P

threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=10543

AS to which ship to pick, it was a tossup for me, as a fan of the Russians, between the Mercury and the Ingermanland.  I went with the Mercury in the end since its famous battle was so badass.  I mean, come on, it took on TWO SHIPS OF THE LINE at once.  And WON.

The Russians built dedicated 130 gun ship in 1800 called the Blagodat.  She never saw action, though.  Apparently issues with construction kept her in harbor for most of the Napoleonic Wars.

On the other hand, her broadside was 3/4 of a ton :P

threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=10543

Oh, THAT Blagodat! I saw her every day for six months, or at least, her clearly non-sailing restaurant replica. Does wonders for that part of the Petersburg skyline, which you can't say for that novy russky abomination, the Flying Dutchman.

Upon further reflection, I've decided to change my vote in favour of the Ontario. My reasoning behind this is although she has 22 guns rather than 20, there is no snow currently in game. She is also very well documented, and an all around beautiful ship to behold. Sorry Mercury, maybe next time.

Obviously I voted already and this isnt the post for the next round but this beautiful little sea creature needs to find its way into the game eventually :P

And dont be to harsh on the crew. It was only the second seatrial, the jib was being ignored completely, the fore sail was being handled by a fellow who had never been on a boat before, the helmsman was still learning that a sailboat cant sail directly into the wind, and the Captain had never sailed anything larger than a sunfish, and the boat needs some obvious tweaks. In short, none of us knew what we were doing.

post-1305-0-34528100-1391196689_thumb.jpg

Seems like we are making HMS Ontario (unless more votes come in)

and Ingermanland as a developer wild card (we need a 64gun too and i love that ship)

Once vote closes in a week - we will post a separate topic where we will discuss Ontario, its stats, visuals and drawings. you will participate in in from the start to finish.

• Like 3

Seems like we are making HMS Ontario (unless more votes come in)

and Ingermanland as a developer wild card (we need a 64gun too and i love that ship)

Once vote closes in a week - we will post a separate topic where we will discuss Ontario, its stats, visuals and drawings. you will participate in in from the start to finish.

Awesome! I can hardly wait to see both ships in game!

I dunno if this will help you at all in your modeling of the Ontario. http://www.ageofsail.net/aosont1.asp

Ontario-sheet1.gif

Most of FLS' ships were built by fans.

Not that many of POTBs hardcore PvP-ers gave a shit what their vessels looked like. The game just re-used models and made up gun counts regardless of the what was physically modeled.

I hope that this will be a game where players will have a reason to fight in vessels of all sizes, and where (actual) piracy and commerce raiding will take place, thus giving various smaller vessels an important role.

• Like 1

On a lake, maybe. I wouldn´t trust her that much on the open sea :P

And: Ingermanland!

The Great Lakes of North America are the largest lakes in the world. As such ships built in the 1700s and early 1800s to sail them were designed based on ocean going vessels of the time. It's just a shame that many of them were built so hastily due to the wars against France and America.

Edit: I'm not certain if ships today are seaworthy, I'll have to do some more research.

I remember reading an article on the wreck analysis of a great lakes schooner (18th century), compared to a coastal (marblehead) schooner. The conclusions where that the schooner build for the lakes was less sturdy build. The planking was thinner but most importantly, the hull timbers where not all cross-connected by deck timbers. This article concluded by mentioning that this study confirmed earlier hypothesis that the great lake's schooners where cheaper to build, but would, at least at the time of their building, not be considered ocean worthy vessels.

I will see if I can dig up the article online, but it was published quite a while ago, so I'm not sure it is available.

~Brigand

I remember reading an article on the wreck analysis of a great lakes schooner (18th century), compared to a coastal (marblehead) schooner. The conclusions where that the schooner build for the lakes was less sturdy build. The planking was thinner but most importantly, the hull timbers where not all cross-connected by deck timbers. This article concluded by mentioning that this study confirmed earlier hypothesis that the great lake's schooners where cheaper to build, but would, at least at the time of their building, not be considered ocean worthy vessels.

I will see if I can dig up the article online, but it was published quite a while ago, so I'm not sure it is available.

~Brigand

Please do. If I'm wrong, I'd like to know. In the meantime, I'll do some more research online and see what I can dig up.

Edit: I have a few articles here, the main one being this... http://www.mnhs.org/places/nationalregister/shipwrecks/mpdf/mpdf2.html

Further Edit: In the link I posted above, I found this "The American and British Navies fought the War of 1812 on the lower Lakes and along the coast. The conflict on the Lakes centered on the massive shipbuilding programs by both belligerents. Though square-rigged ships tended to be faster under the right conditions, they proved to be a disadvantage on the Lakes. Experience also demonstrated that shallow-draft vessels were as safe and efficient as the traditional deep-draft ships." - Which coupled with the rest of the article, I translate to mean around 1812 the designs of ships began to differ from traditional admiralty designs. Ships like the HMS Ontario (which was built in 1780) were still being built to admiralty design, as private shipbuilding was not given the go-ahead until 1785.