Game-Labs Forum

True Colours of the HMS victory takes 72 layers of paint back to see original colours

Destraex

I am not sure why they think it is black just because they went back down the layers. This could possibly just have been an undercoat?

"

Nelson's flagship HMS Victory to show its true colours - with a blue deck and none of that 'hideous' orange
  • Historic paint experts recover hundreds of fragments of its original paint 
  • These suggest hull of ship was originally mostly black and later repainted
  • Lincoln researchers claim she was painted in orange as part of restoration
  • They have disentangled 72 layers of paint to discover how ship appeared
  • HMS Victory is best known for her pivotal role in 1805 Battle of Trafalgar

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583165/Nelsons-flagship-HMS-Victory-true-colours-blue-deck-none-hideous-orange.html#ixzz3a6qVJdiV 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583165/Nelsons-flagship-HMS-Victory-true-colours-blue-deck-none-hideous-orange.html

• Like 3

How very interesting, thank you for sharing!

Kind of related, but not so much.

Not sure if a controversial view point, but I much prefered the original version of HMS Victory 1765 before the reconstruction of 1805 and then the current 1925. The stern is so much more pretty, was more just full of character, not so square and flat. :P

75718d1269004409-grande-richiesta-i-pian

75714d1269002089-grande-richiesta-i-pian

75713d1269002089-grande-richiesta-i-pian

75717d1269004409-grande-richiesta-i-pian

75715d1269002089-grande-richiesta-i-pian

75720d1269004409-grande-richiesta-i-pian

Have plans, if anyone is interested.

Edited by Admaa
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I must confess that I have always preferred the yellow band as opposed to the Nelson Chequer. As much as I understand that it introduced a certain uniformity and a way of distinguishing friend from foe, I do believe that the yellow band with the blue trim was far more appealing. I believe that is why the Bellona in this game is one of the most mesmerising ships. Should be nice to have the option to see the Victory in the same (although I shall leave that discussion in the ship colours thread already begun).

The 'Victory' HP shows also the development of the Victory during the 18ct. Colour (also some fittings) of the ship changed from time to time.

I give the link:

http://www.hms-victory.com/restoration

The stages of changes are listed there as:

"As Launched 1765-1779"

"Copper Bottom 1780-1799"

"The Time of Trafalgar 1800-1805" and

"Portsmouth 1817-1922"

• Like 1

This discussion comes up for every boat being preserved.  The key is not what her 'original' colors or configuration was, but what was the color/configuration at the time she is restored to?  IIRC, she's restored to her appearance at Trafalgar, where evidence clearly shows that she sported Nelson's personal paint scheme.  A different thread has shown that the USS Constitution has also undergone many different paint schemes, including being painted white at one point in her career.  Paint changes.  Hopefully, this will help inspire the devs to allow varied paint schemes later on in development to alter the colors of these ships a bit, as even the originals often had multiple different appearances throughout their careers.