Game-Labs Forum

The Blue War Machine

So now I have 4 games under my belt, 2 CSA and 2 Union.  First Union game against Balanced AI ended in a Major Victory, and I played through a number of phases/maps.  I just finished my 2nd Union game against Determined AI, and it was even easier.  Wiped out the CSA in 3 maps for a Decisive victory.  They lost almost exactly twice as many men as I did (15,000 to my 7,500).  I dominated all 3 maps to the point I was basically spawn-killing units as they tried entering the battle.  CSA artillery wouldn't even have a chance to unlimber before they were gunned down.

Out of the top 12 units, 11 were infantry, 1 battery, 1 skirmisher.  Only one unit was CSA, Daniel's Brigade.

#1 Iron Brigade 736 deaths/1697 kills

#2 Cutlers Brigade 555/1036

#2 Bucktail 667/945

#4 Daniel (CSA) 782/823

Now, I obviously don't have enough playing time to make any definitive recommendations for changes here, but I'll offer my observations.

It seems the actual number of troops in a unit is a major factor in inflicting casualties, with no counter-balance.  All things being equal (morale, condition, cover) a 1500 man unit will tear through a 750 man unit.  Add a height advantage, and now we're talking about a killing field.

A counter-balance to the Union numbers could come in the form of poor morale, since UGG doesn't model experience levels (Crack vs Green troops, for example).  SMG's experience system factored in this level of detail to great effect, offsetting larger Union units (Green) against smaller, experienced CSA units (Veteran/Crack) with better morale and faster reload times.

In other words, the Union has the manpower on its side but no discernible weakness against CSA units.  The game says the Union has lower morale than the CSA, but I have yet to see that.  I also think the melee doesn't seem to be working well, which is a major disadvantage to the CSA who must rely on fast charges to take hills and rout the Union.

Since individual unit experience isn't modeled in the game like SMG does, the main factor that could offset the strength in #'s would be lowering overall morale.  From my short experience playing the game, CSA morale takes an utter beating from the Union.  These guys are constantly running for the hills.  And I would be too if I were taking the kinds of losses my Union troops inflict on them (And its NOT artillery, although I'm sure that factors into their poor morale).

Basically, if as the Union commander you manage your troops right and keep morale/condition/cover at decent levels, the CSA simply doesn't have the firepower to overcome this advantage.  Especially since the CSA is attacking the majority of the time and face uphill attacks against men in cover and canister shot.  Or maybe I'm some strategic magician? hah.

My final attempt at playing as the Union will be against a Determined AI with the "Boost AI" button activated.  Hopefully this levels the playing field for the CSA a bit.  After that, I suppose I'll have to take my Union army online and see how that goes. :)

Anyone else have similar experiences playing as the Union?  Does this hold true online as well?

• Like 1

You need to trye out multiplayer.. it plays out much differently there. I have no constructive feedback to offer on the AI other than it will never play as a human does which is why MP is much more interesting.

Friend me if you like and we can play a few matches. 

Thanks!  I'll dive into MP soon.  That's definitely where the real challenges await, but also where any balance issues will come to immediate light.  Is MP generally more balanced than the single player scenarios, or do people find the same issue with the Union being overpowered?  If multiplayer battles play out in a more balanced fashion, then it may be that the AI is incapable of using its units properly.

The game does make a difference between green and crack troops, green troops being one-star brigades and crack troops being three-star brigades. The CSA gets many more 3-star brigades that have better numbers than the Union 3-stars which, apart from the Iron Brigade and Vincent, are usually under 1000 men strong. CSA also gets many more 2-star brigades. These brigades are much more resilient and recover morale and condition much faster than your average Union brigade, which keeps them in the fight longer and provides them with better mobility (ability to run over longer distances with less penalties). Union troops are less mobile and much weaker on the offensive, so as long as you put them in a position in which they must attack (e.g. retaking victory points) you will have the advantage.

Key to winning as CSA:

- Seize the high ground before the Union does, or dislodge them from it before they have the chance to fortify. Exhaust your troops if necessary for this purpose.

- Once you have captured the high ground, sit back and watch as Union troops make futile attempts to retake it.

- ???

- Profit!

Edited by Jugashvili

Interesting, thanks for the info.  I suppose I didn't notice because all of my Union troops act like 3 star crack brigades and the CSA 1 star Green troops. lol.  The challenge against the AI is definitely playing from the CSA side, so I'm thankful that part of the campaign works well.  Would enjoy losing a few phases/battles as the Union though.  I'll try Boost AI and see how that goes, then onto MP. 

Multiplayer has it's issues like any game would but it's fairly balanced and skill will win the day in most of the grand scenarios except Pickett's charge that's pretty much impossible as confederates - which it should be.

Sun Tzu says it well: "Know you enemy and know yourself and you'll never lose a battle". It holds fairly true in this game in multiplayer.

Confederates can be very strong. You might be surprised at the force they overwhelm your lines with. I'll show you Devil's Den if you like, it's especially obvious there against an unprepared opponent.

• Like 1

Interesting, thanks for the info.  I suppose I didn't notice because all of my Union troops act like 3 star crack brigades and the CSA 1 star Green troops. lol.  The challenge against the AI is definitely playing from the CSA side, so I'm thankful that part of the campaign works well.  Would enjoy losing a few phases/battles as the Union though.  I'll try Boost AI and see how that goes, then onto MP.

Thank you very much Linkolns for your recent feedback,

If you would like I will send you a beta key to test the latest beta version which addresses all these issues. Today/tomorrow we will make available the first version.

Thanks Koro, that's good to hear.  No, MP can never be perfect but as long as there isn't some fundamental balance flaw then most scenarios should be winnable by either side, when facing opponents of similar skill.  My worry was that my steamroll of the AI in the single player would translate into MP due to some balance issue with the Union.

Nick, yes I'd love to test out the beta stuff if you need fresh eyes.  I'm an old modder from the Empire Earth RTS era (worked for SSSI at one point), and did some balance work on Titan Quest.  I definitely don't have the time to spend 8 hours a day doing that anymore but I hope I'd have an eye to help out where I can!

• Like 3