Game-Labs Forum

Sailors and sailing

Baggywrinkle

965783_10200304421306271_1535241720_o.jp

This is my boat, Sanctioned Mistress, which I'm sailing in the Alaskan inside passage these days, when I'm not 'working' running whale watching boats and the likes.  I've also raced boats up to 44' at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and sailed a number of tall ships, most extensively the schooner Adventuress and brig Lady Washington, though I also did a stint on CGC Eagle.

• Like 1

Advantages of tidal waters, refreshing the antifouling in 4 hours? :)  What design is this, AKPyrate? Looks a little British, if you don´t mind me saying this. I am a little familiar with Scandinavian designs, since I am mostly sailing the Baltic (spent some time in world wide shipping on Bulker, though).

Last year I spent 4,5 month sailing the round trip around the Baltic sea and had a great time with my second home, an Ohlson 29...

img_4757.jpg

cropped-p1120615.jpg

Edited by Ole Pinelle
  • Like 2

Me and my family have a little force five (slightly bigger than a laser I think) And our misadventures in it are the stuff of legend. Incompetence + 6 year old pop rivets holding everything together + crowd of watching fishermen = recipe for fun. And by fun I mean pain.

That ptink noise and then seeing the boom swoop up parallel to the mast when a kilometer away from the dock. 

Edited by Capt Aerobane
  • Like 2

Ole Pinelle: she's not quite British, but British Columbian.  The Fortune 30 design (33.5' with the bowsprit) was built in the late '70s.  She's a heavy, overbuilt boat (which is one reason I like her), but the decks stay fairly dry in everything but heavy chop, and sailing off the wind is quite pretty.  I've been able to maintain steerage way before in a dead calm just surfing down cruise ship wakes on the way up Gastineau Channel.  Doesn't point great in lighter airs (partly due to an older and stretched mains'l), but has a 20 hp diesel to go anywhere she needs on only 1/2 gal per hour.  Downwind, she runs wing on wing beautifully, and she's an easy one to single hand.  Her favorite speed is around 3-4 kts (fastest I've had her is 7.5 kts SOG with way too much sail up and a following sea/current-probably about 6.5 kts through the water), which happens to be great salmon trolling speed!  Planning on getting her winter cover off this weekend and doing a few pre-season sea trials as soon as the job/family allow.

Edited by AKPyrate

Ah, I only know the Banner 32 by Huntingford, there are a few here in the Baltic. Fin with rudder on skeg, looks like a design I could get used to, too. The ATACAMA is also built in `78, but still stiff and no signs of osmosis and the old Volvo Penta is as reliable as you can wish. I almost bought an old OE 32, since I really prefer stability over speed, but I guess I stay with the old for another 5 years, since I just refitted a lot of the essentials.

What turns me away from modern designs is the focus on room and down wind capabilities, since I find myself most of the time on reaching courses against the choppy baltic sea and unstable winds. Here the old Swedish and Danish designs suit me best.

• Like 1

I have done quite a bit of Sailing in my time.At school we had a 2 old RN boats, a Cutter and a Whaler.The Cutter was a lovely boat,she was built in 1935 and lasted untill 1977.While she was being lifted to go on a low loader for Maintainance the gunwhale parted company from the main Hull so she was condemned and burnt.In the RN i used to sail the Bo'sun Dinghy most weekends.I did have a trip on a Nicholson 55 but i didnt really enjoy it.

Ah, I only know the Banner 32 by Huntingford, there are a few here in the Baltic. Fin with rudder on skeg, looks like a design I could get used to, too. The ATACAMA is also built in `78, but still stiff and no signs of osmosis and the old Volvo Penta is as reliable as you can wish. I almost bought an old OE 32, since I really prefer stability over speed, but I guess I stay with the old for another 5 years, since I just refitted a lot of the essentials.

What turns me away from modern designs is the focus on room and down wind capabilities, since I find myself most of the time on reaching courses against the choppy baltic sea and unstable winds. Here the old Swedish and Danish designs suit me best.

I've got a Yanmar on mine, and she's reliable as I could ever hope.  Change the zincs and oil regularly and she'll last forever.  I've heard much the same of Volvos, and probably any decently designed sailboat engine since we're just not pushing them all the time.

I'm not a huge fan of modern designs either, but for different reasons.  Aesthetics aside, they're just not as comfortable for me in moderate to nasty weather (technical terms there, right?).  I like a heavier boat that will not slap onto every choppy wave.  I also feel that this will give longevity to the hull by not flexing quite as much (haven't tested it, but my 1978 boat is still in great shape and is one of the later ones that was built extremely heavy while they were figuring out how strong fiberglass really was, so it's a theory that works for me).  My boat's great on a reach, less than ideal on a broad reach, amazing wing-on-wing, and like all cutters, could do better pointing into the wind.  However, her sail plan can be well balanced and sometimes I don't have to touch the wheel for half an hour without the autopilot running.  Today I just took the winter cover off, so one more prep day to bend on the sails and do some cleanup and I can go sailing.  Of course, she'd also benefit from a pressure wash as well once I get the chance.