Game-Labs Forum

First scenario as confederates help

fightingln

Hello all,

I'm finding the first scenario as confederates very difficult to win: after a few first losses i thought i mastered it and won epic victories and such, but now i'm back to being defeated every time by a balanced AI.

I always try to take oak ridge with Davis before reinforcments arrive, while Archer deals with Caleb and skirmishers to occupy Mcperson's farm.Artillery follows close and establishes itself between archer ans Davis.

Do people here have different strategies?I used to pull it off without problems but now...

Also i have remarked that skirmishers charged by my brigades do not take any losses in the shock and pursuit, even though the units are well mixed together.I'm puzzled.

Thank you in advance.

Normally, if you capture on time Oak Ridge with Davis and place him in a good cover (avoid to exhaust him on the way and keep him always in General's range to replenish morale and condition so he can defend Oak successfully ), it would be very difficult for Ai to win. Personally I ignore the skirmishers and avoid spending condition/morale by charging on them (I just focus on the plan to capture Oak Ridge, just marching and volleying). Heth's skirmishers can protect Davis' flanks and rear from the constant annoying come back of these light units, when he will pass McPherson ridge.

The only certain charge in the beginning is that against Calef. But avoid ordering the charge from a far distance. You can use Heth skirmishers to shoot a couple of volleys on Calef until Archer comes in close distance and launch the charge. Heth's skirms can protect Archer from Union skirms while charging (until you move them to support Davis). The same time arty should advance and position on McPherson ridge. With Davis on Oak, Archer on McPherson forest recovering and the arty on McPherson ridge (or in a -risky- line between Archer and Davis loaded shell/canister, you can welcome Iron with a hell of a fire and take it early out of action. Keep positions repelling Iron, Cutler, until the rest division arrives (Petty and Brock).

At this point you'll have a big advantage and the only thing you should concern is the upcoming Union guns... (ignore Herr Ridge and Oak Hill, you can send later an exhausted or suffered heavy casualties unit to seize them).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Try this way.

At the start flank Davis and Archer north to the 750VP. Bring up the cannons and protect the cannons with your skirmishers. Bring up your general. Form a battle line facing south but do not leave woods yet. Set up your cannons fortify the VP. When Pettigrew and Brock arrive use a pincer attack move Davis south. Swing Archer east and south. Hit the left with Brock and Pettigrew. Fall back Archer if Yanks get on your flank. If done correctly you can easily push the Yanks off the VP for 1000.  Now you have one to go. When the rest of 3rd Corps arrives use all three of them to hit the southern VP from the left be careful not to tire them out by running. Then push south with your northern flank. Capture the VP, Bring up your guns set them up on good ground and wait for the counter attack. This tactic on any difficulty always works when done correctly.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Also i have remarked that skirmishers charged by my brigades do not take any losses in the shock and pursuit, even though the units are well mixed together.I'm puzzled.

Thank you in advance.

That's a known bug that was fixed in the upcoming major patch.