Game-Labs Forum
admin

Open world: Combat, Rules of Engagement, Damage, Bot combat AI discussions

Maybe it is my lack of skill, but it seems that stern camping is still an option.

Yesterday I was attacked by a pirate frigate, I was in an Agamemnon. The enemy player managed to gdt behind me and shot my stern with his chasers. I returned fire with my stern chasers, but after 6 rounds he managed to destroy my stern guns. I tried to turn, sail backwards, etc, he countered every maneuver of me and stayed at may stern, except for once when I gave him a full broadside, and was shooting me first with balls, than with grape and finally finished me during boarding. 

The effect of grape was devestating, too much in my opinion.

Although the other player was very skilled, there should be a chance to defend yourself when your bigger ship is attacked by a smaller one, which in real life would never have been able to win.

10 hours ago, Sea Archer said:

Maybe it is my lack of skill, but it seems that stern camping is still an option.

Yesterday I was attacked by a pirate frigate, I was in an Agamemnon. The enemy player managed to gdt behind me and shot my stern with his chasers. I returned fire with my stern chasers, but after 6 rounds he managed to destroy my stern guns. I tried to turn, sail backwards, etc, he countered every maneuver of me and stayed at may stern, except for once when I gave him a full broadside, and was shooting me first with balls, than with grape and finally finished me during boarding. 

The effect of grape was devestating, too much in my opinion.

Although the other player was very skilled, there should be a chance to defend yourself when your bigger ship is attacked by a smaller one, which in real life would never have been able to win.

Sorry to be blunt, but it almost definitely is a skill gap that's to blame.

After whinging about people being able to too easily kill larger rated ships with smaller we got a completely unnecessary reworking of the damage model that blew up what balance we had, just so people could feel invulnerable sailing their line ships around.  And now you want even more handicaps thrown their way? I feel like you need to really think about what you could do differently in that situation to not let someone just sit on your stern and kill off your crew... (HINT: Use difficult angles to the wind to make it so he can only lose wind to you in order to turn and fire on your stern, or risk exposing himself to your broadside fire.)

But this is the key: you're in the bigger gunned ship, so you shouldn't be running from him period. Just turn, demast him and kill him dead. Why run away?

• Like 1