Game-Labs Forum

Your Opinion on a Perfectly Balanced Ship

This is out of my curiosity and want to hear your thoughts!

The ship can be in game or out but I would like it to be time specific to the game. You can give a name, a class, what ever you feel!

To get things rolling, for the in game ships I would say the Bell and the Trinc. Any 4th rate or 3rd rate would do as well as any medium class frigate. I feel the firepower to maneuverability ratio is perfect, or close to perfect, in these ships.

• Like 2

I don't get this topic. Perfectly balanced in what manner? Game-wise? But then how can you judge ships out of the game? In real life? But balanced in what way? As a line ship? And if you get that "perfect firepower / maneuverability ratio" doesn't that only mean it's perfect in scenarios that require that exact ratio and would be perfectly not perfectly balanced in any other case?

I don't get this topic. Perfectly balanced in what manner? Game-wise? But then how can you judge ships out of the game? In real life? But balanced in what way? As a line ship? And if you get that "perfect firepower / maneuverability ratio" doesn't that only mean it's perfect in scenarios that require that exact ratio and would be perfectly not perfectly balanced in any other case?

NA is a game without ship classes and matchmaking. So some will look for THE ship, the best one, the one and only one to buy ant play with all the time.

Fortunately, there's none. It all depends on what you want to do (explore, fight, trade...), where you want to sail (on shallow waters or the open sea), which features you're looking for (sailing close-hauled...), how much it costs...

However, there should be lots of frigates in the OW...

But time (and gameplay) will tell.

Edited by LeBoiteux

The brigantine, a schooner-brig mix, would be pretty balanced. You have the square rigged mast to run before the wind, while at the same time the fore and aft rigged main mast grants excellent maneuverability and easily let's you tack upwind. For a trader (or pirate) in coastal waters this would be an excellent choice. If you are carefull, you can escape any threat by choosing a course they can't. When under attack by square riggers you go upwind, when followed by schooner-types you go downwind. Likewise you can use this advantage to catch your prey, if you like. Of course a brigantine will be limited in size and guns, and you wont stand long between ships of the line. But cost of upkeep and minimum number of crew should be very small. For example during a manoeuvre the gaff sail aft could be worked by only 2 men and in a sudden storm the crew only has to fur square sails on a single mast.

If the brigantine is too small for you, try the barquentine. Just add an other gaff sail mast for a total of tree masts. Compared to the gain in length you need almost no extra crew and the ship is still very easy to handle and turn. The increased length may even lead to a gain in top speed.

All-Types-of-tall-Ships.jpg

• Like 1

@Galileus It doesn't matter. It is honestly up to you. Balance what ever you want. State your favorite ship. Find a ship for several pairs of balances.

@LeBoiteux This isn't about finding THE ship. THE ship is specific to each individual and their playing style. Plus the ships mentioned don't have to be from the game. This is simply about what you think is the best ship from real life or in game. I've already made my mind up.

I mentioned the Bell and Trinc b/c they are in the game, but as I said above, any real life 3rd or 4th rate as well as a medium class frigate would be my perfect ship. For someone else it could be a sloop. I simply just want to know what other people's opinions are because I'm curious.

Edited by Agesilaus II

The perfectly balanced ship of that era would be thus.

The hull would be French in design.

The crew English.

The number of crew Spanish.

The sails American.

I think the officers would be English, but the crew full of yanks. They generally seemed to be very competent with excellent morale in this period.

This is out of my curiosity and want to hear your thoughts!

The ship can be in game or out but I would like it to be time specific to the game. You can give a name, a class, what ever you feel!

To get things rolling, for the in game ships I would say the Bell and the Trinc. Any 4th rate or 3rd rate would do as well as any medium class frigate. I feel the firepower to maneuverability ratio is perfect, or close to perfect, in these ships.

Depends on the orders or role. Line of battle in a large fleet, then a 1-3 rate. Cruising then a large frigate. Piracy, something small, fast with lots of crew. I doubt a perfectly balanced ship exists, and it certainly shouldn't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

1st rate

65m+ in length

Good stability

1200 men crew

118 guns

3 decker

4 bow chasers

6 stern chasers (2 on quarter deck, 2 on bottom deck , 2 in stern galleys).

Bottom deck x32 40 pounders

Middle deck x34 24 pounders

Upper gun deck x34 18 pounders

Forecastle with x4 60 pounder carronades and x4 8 pounder guns.

Quarterdeck with x4 60 pounder carronades and x6 8 pounder guns.

Building time period 1760-1780

Displacement: 4000-5000 tons

Beam: 15m

Figurehead: Roaring gorilla XD

Gun ports with carvings of demons. Cannons come out of their mouths.

Paint scheme: Very dark red with orange lines and thin green lines in between.

Yellow, Black, Red stern with small stern balconies.

Name: fuego negro.

Nationality Spanish but I'm not certain.

YEP,I like big ships haha

I'll attempt drawing it too.