Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KvotheTheArcane

Arctic Exploration

One of the fields of exploration that fits within the time frame of the game is the attempts by Franklin, Ross, and Perry to discover a northwest passage, in other words polar exploration. The more famous expeditions used British Vesuvius and Fury Bomb class ships that were constructed throughout the early 1800s, some saw combat in the war of 1812, and in conflicts with North Africa. The ships were refitted (generally before 1830) after combat and used to great effect to explore the frozen north due to their heavier construction (HMS Hecla also saw service as a survey ship). Players could start out with the military variants (balance issues aside since they carried 13 and 10 inch mortars) and then have the option to refit for exploration. This type of exploration could be a niche field that provides an alternate high risk/high reward style of play and adds diversity to the game. Players could become trapped and run a loss or make it back to port with valuable scientific data. There could also be the ability to choose to rescue each other in the relatively isolated environment or abandon each other in the name of profit. People could also try to find npc explorers who got lost and never made it back through finding the expedition party or ships stuck in the ice.  Quick list of some of the positives and negatives:

Pros: Provides something to do at the higher latitudes away from the meridian, High risk/high reward that's not illegal, Adds diversity and specialization into the game.

Cons: Something the devs have to work on (research, balancing, map, ship models, etc.), Lack of widespread appeal. 

Most of the naval games focus on the Mediterranean and Caribbean, but if Naval Action is going to be open world then the Polar regions could be incorporated as an interesting piece of history and help make the game stand out even more. 

• Like 4

i think game labs should invest all their limited resources in antarctic exploration first though.also we should be able to cartography the moon from our ships. (pls dont ban me)

• Like 2

@ Paraclete and Schetzengel : Come on, guys, be nice  ;) 

@ KvotheTheArcane

Well I guess there are certainly more urgent issues about Exploration than "Where to explore ? », such as "What to actually do as an explorer (explorer's tasks) ?"

See exploration gameplay : http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1534-exploration-gameplay/

Nonetheless, there are some very interesting ideas in your post... may be quite difficult to implement for the devs… 

But I like the ideas of looking for lost npc explorers (quest), of specific ships ; of risking to be trapped by the ice, of icebergs… that is of "regional dangers". And what a landscape to watch !!!

However, you should visit the thread « Locations you want to see in game » :

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1276-locations-you-want-to-see-in-game/page-6

PS : As a matter of fact, as a would-be explorer in NA, I’d love to answer «  everywhere » to the question "Where to explore ? » (India, Australia, the Pacific Ocean, China...). May be some day... :) 

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

At a young age Nelson went to the arctic, he tried to chase down a polar bear and shoot it....It would be interesting to have in game but the devs have only so much time.

Edited by Joe
  • Like 1

At a young age Nelson went to the arctic, he tried to chase down a polar bear and shoot it....It would be interesting to have in game but the devs have only so much time.

According to you, what would be interesting ? Sailing the Arctic or shooting at bears ?

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

I had a hard time finding the right forum thread to post this in, it could fit under location, exploration game play and to some extent ships and economy. Open world included more of the options than just one area and since it is more of an open world game play idea rather than just one specific aspect I decided to post it here. 

Most of the research I did that was within the time frame of the game focused on the Arctic, and the hunt for an northern path above Canada by the British in the early 1800s, ill look into more exploration voyages and explore the Antarctic. I focused on the Arctic because i was more informed in that area, but the concepts could easily be expanded to the Antarctic as well

Also for more information on the ships, i found a decent book online that has information on British ships from 1817-1863. It includes the design and technical information for the Vesuvius and Fury class mentioned in the initial post on pages 279-281. (The image quality for the design drawing of the Vesuvius class is not very good but its the best one I have found so far)

https://books.google.com/books?id=imFEBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA280&lpg=PA280&dq=british+fury+class+warship&source=bl&ots=i8k40xNt1n&sig=1roPF-a45AwIB_aHZhlAkl0RzTM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gTtBVcHmH9LUoASDmIDIAw&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCw#v=onepage&q&f=false

I know there is a slim chance of polar exploration being included, but it seemed worth considering as something to potentially include in the game and get input from the community on.

Also for more information on the ships, i found a decent book online that has information on British ships from 1817-1863. It includes the design and technical information for the Vesuvius and Fury class mentioned in the initial post on pages 279-281. (The image quality for the design drawing of the Vesuvius class is not very good but its the best one I have found so far)

https://books.google.com/books?id=imFEBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA280&lpg=PA280&dq=british+fury+class+warship&source=bl&ots=i8k40xNt1n&sig=1roPF-a45AwIB_aHZhlAkl0RzTM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gTtBVcHmH9LUoASDmIDIAw&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCw#v=onepage&q&f=false

As soon as you have some decent plans and informations about a ship, you ought to post on the shipyard thread : http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/forum/28-shipyard/ 

with that kind of display, for example : http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4601-hms-endeavour-1768-transport-exploration-with-plans/?hl=exploration 

This way, your ship would be listed on "The list of ships and plans presented so far" :  http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4389-list-of-ships-and-plans-presented-so-far/

And, she (and your ideas about exploration) would be known by the community :).

Edited by LeBoiteux