Game-Labs Forum

UGG LAUNCH ISSUE FOLLOWING CRASH

auldbrogan

Last week I was invited to play by a 'friend' in the UK. I have played this person twice in the past without incident. On this occasion, when I clicked on the 'Join' button, my PC went nuts - Black screen and lightning-like flashes of error notices.

When at last it stabilized and my PC came back, the screen resolution had been drastically altered - reset to the maximum magnification. Once that condition was resolved and the monitor desktop returned to normal 100% size, I tried to relaunch the game. It opened, but in a window only about a third the size the usual full screen. The game functions, but cannot be expanded to its full screen presentation - the 'maximize' button on the window being greyed out and inoperable.

Anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions for resolution?

• Like 2

Thanks for the swift response!

Yes, I have rebooted numerous times since the crash, 3 days ago.

Yesterday, during a lengthy session with an online IT tech, we successfully resolved the resolution issue that resulted from the game's crash during the invitation phase. We also updated the video card. The PC automatically runs updates, but I don't think anything in the past couple of weeks.

Today, I went to the forum.game-lab.net Technical Solution page for UGG and followed Nick Tomadis' excellent 'how-to' directions for Game Folder Clean-ups and uninstall/reinstalled the game 3 separate times - without fixing the issue.

I even tried uninstalling the game and then re-buying it (taking advantage of the 50% Off Spring Special), but Steam won't let me do that either. My thinking was perhaps with a mint copy I could eliminate whatever was causing the problem that way. No such luck.

At this point, I seem to be out of options.

As a post-script, I should probably add that I have a copy of Napoleon:Total War (with the DarthMod app) that launches perfectly thru Steam. No constricted window issues whatsoever. So, I'm guessing the problem must be a corrupted something in UGG itself...

Edited by auldbrogan

Both of us were IN the multiplayer setting. Rab sent me his invitation to join the battle via the Shift/Tab message method. When I clicked on the 'Join' banner, all hell broke loose. I think it happened twice. We both experienced the same effects described by Mitch the Mooch, but as far as I am aware, my opponent did not wind up with the launch window issue I am left with.

My reply to Dartis: http://steamcommunity.com/app/discussions/2/620712364020164746/

That's pretty much where I'm at for the moment...  Thanks for weighing in, btw. LOVE  the game! Been playing CW and other wargames since Avalon Hill's Gettysburg boardgame was published in 1959. Yours is the BEST EVER. Hands down. I'm just looking to get my UGG back up and functioning properly.

Edited by auldbrogan
  • Like 1

Ok then please try this:

Go to the folder where the exe of UGG are located, usually in: 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Ultimate General Gettysburg

Right click on Ultimate General Gettysburg.exe =>Properties=>(1) Press on Compatibility mode tab => (2) Tick on "Run this program in compatibility mode for" => (3) Select "Windows 7" => Press OK

post-42-0-47798600-1426717541.jpg (Sorry it is in Greek)

Do the same for Ultimate General Multiplayer.exe.

Please advise if this has helped.

Nick, Thanks so much for taking the time to try and help me solve this issue. Also, for the diagram you so painstakingly put together to help me navigate thru the cyber-maze of files (even if "it's all Greek to me..." - sorry, I couldn't resist).

Anyway, as it turns out, the answer was right there under all of our noses the whole time. A very patient Support Tech from Steam Support, named Clyde, was able to deduce the cause after viewing a screen-shot I sent along with one of my last replies. After all the back-and-forth about msinfo32 files, error reports, dead-end re-purchase ideas, and hand-wringing on my part, Clyde looked at the image and asked if I had checked out the Options button in the game's small launch window? Who'd have thunk it? I had noticed it at one time or another, of course, but I had NO clue what that meant, and I never toggled it to find out.

Somehow, along with the jumbling of my screen resolutions during the crash, the event had flipped the switch on the 'Window Mode' setting from Off to On. That's all there was to it. I set the button to OFF and in seconds the world was right again. Voila!

I am truly grateful for the support offered by everyone.

post-4906-0-36099900-1430494674_thumb.jpg

I've had it happen to me as well a few times.

As you did i just reset windows mode back to full screen.

It still asks me everytime i start UGG if i trust the app and want to run in master mode or some such words.

I just click "yes boss"