Ned Loe

Random open sea loot.

I would like to see Random open sea loot. This will include,

-manufacturing goods,

-avatars(survivors) from destroyed ships who can offer a mission,

-treasure,

etc..

Bloodsail_wreckage.png

what would be your perfect open sea loot?

• Like 3

It's a damn fine idea! This exists in AC4 Black Flag, although it's over spawned in such way that I can get a big crew quickly by rescuing survivors... 

I would like to see bottles that contain messages, leading to a quest or a treasure map, laid out by a dying captain! Some high quality muskets would also make me happy :P

All in all, this would be nice, only if open sea loot is a little rarer than common rarity, sometimes containing something valuable that can be sold for a high price. If it's too frequent, it might get annoying to players having to stop the ship all the time just to get some scraps of wood and sailcloth (most times).

This suggestion reminds me of patrician II; it had random encounters events such as your crew getting drunk on your supply of fine wine or a crew that refuses to sail because they insist there is an evil gnome living in the hold etc.

This would be great, but why not even make it so that when you kill a ship and dont pick up the loot,

assuming theres a function for that, it stays in the water for lets say 12 h?

+ throw the guns or inv overboard!

This suggestion reminds me of patrician II; it had random encounters events such as your crew getting drunk on your supply of fine wine or a crew that refuses to sail because they insist there is an evil gnome living in the hold etc.

An evil gnome! AHAH

This would be great, but why not even make it so that when you kill a ship and dont pick up the loot,

assuming theres a function for that, it stays in the water for lets say 12 h?

+ throw the guns or inv overboard!

I like that! On the throw the guns away thing, they wouldn't be recoverable, since they are huge hunks of metal that will sink really quickly.

for future development, you could even distinguish between flotsam and jetsam, the former is floating wreckage, and can be legally claimed as its own by whomever finds it, the later is part of a ship, its equipment, or its cargo that is purposefully cast overboard and it is legally owned by the one who tossed it overboard. (When I first came across this, I thought it strange that if you deliberately toss something overboard, you are still the owner. But if it is washed overboard by accident, the stuff is no longer yours (unless you pick it up again, offcourse). This turned out to be as it was because they wanted to encourage captains to dump their cargo to try to safe the ship and crew, instead of risking the crew in order to prevent financial loss).

Flotsam would be just a nice bonus for the finder while jetsam could be turned over to the port authoroties for a bonus in reputation (or sold in the less than legal cirquit offcourse).

I definitely like this idea; randomly coming across some loot that could be anywhere from rubbish to something very valuable.

I also agree that it should not be as common as in AC IV.

One thing I would like to see though is, instead of just clicking and automatically salvaging, you would instead have to stop your ship and actually set up to salvage the flotsam. Salvaging could take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes! (depending on the size of the flotsam/jetsam). 

This would also mean that someone else could come in while you are trying to salvage an item and try to take it from you! >:D

• Like 2

well.. maybe you change this to:

We have had a storm and therefore there are some wrecks still afloat wich will be missions bound to a certain time.

Like a race its: first come first served. Such missions will called out in harbours like: "a storm battered merchantman needs help near Marsaille-bla bla bla(missiontext going on)"

Rewards: stuff or: simply loot the ship.

The more players, the more wreckage around.

But sole survivors look rather imaginary. How long can a man survive in the sea while having nothing to eat and drink..?

Still this game is more realistic than ACIV will it be? I hope so.

Nothing like heavy stuff. that sinks to the ground of the sea.

I like the idea. So long as it's not as prolific as in Black Flag.  In Black Flag flotsam is ubiquitous, and has very little value. I pretty must didn't bother with it after the first few minutes. 

finding open sea look should be precious and rare even causing to stop everything and chase (or return) 

otherwise its just farmville like clicking we think.

• Like 1

To be honest I think the chance of finding random loot (of any value) flaoting around would have to be so low as to make it a waste of time for the devs to code the feature. It might seem like a nice idea, and in an SP game it would do no harm (albiet still be rather pointless in my opinion).

However, assuming that we are concerned with the eventual MMO this game will become, we need to consider a feature like this in carefuly. It is a well established fact that in MMOs people will do whatever makes them the most moneyper hour with the lest effort, regardless of wether this is something they find fun or not. It is ridiculous, yes, but humans are ridiculous creatures. Therefore we have two options for a feature like this:

Option 1 chances of loot are very small and reward is negligable; most people will not even realise the featue is in the game and it becomes a waste of dev time.

Option 2 the chances of loot are ballanced such that you can make signifigant amounts of money sailing around; people will sail endlessly around not even trying to play the game "properly" and/or people will make a simple macro that occasionaly changes course and clicks on the prompts when you find some flotsame. I don't think I need to explain why that would be a bad thing.

Sources of money that are entriely random are a very bad idea for an MMO, people will try hard to get them, then feel bitter and disillusioned when after 20 hours they get nothing but someone else got lucky in 5 minutes. Above all else an MMO that wants to stay popular must present an even playing field for the players, even if a small amount of realism has to be sacrificed to achieve that.

To be honest I think the chance of finding random loot (of any value) flaoting around would have to be so low as to make it a waste of time for the devs to code the feature. It might seem like a nice idea, and in an SP game it would do no harm (albiet still be rather pointless in my opinion).

However, assuming that we are concerned with the eventual MMO this game will become, we need to consider a feature like this in carefuly. It is a well established fact that in MMOs people will do whatever makes them the most moneyper hour with the lest effort, regardless of wether this is something they find fun or not. It is ridiculous, yes, but humans are ridiculous creatures. Therefore we have two options for a feature like this:

Option 1 chances of loot are very small and reward is negligable; most people will not even realise the featue is in the game and it becomes a waste of dev time.

Option 2 the chances of loot are ballanced such that you can make signifigant amounts of money sailing around; people will sail endlessly around not even trying to play the game "properly" and/or people will make a simple macro that occasionaly changes course and clicks on the prompts when you find some flotsame. I don't think I need to explain why that would be a bad thing.

Sources of money that are entriely random are a very bad idea for an MMO, people will try hard to get them, then feel bitter and disillusioned when after 20 hours they get nothing but someone else got lucky in 5 minutes. Above all else an MMO that wants to stay popular must present an even playing field for the players, even if a small amount of realism has to be sacrificed to achieve that.

Ever tried to hack a scan/sleeper site in EVE Online? Annoyed me more then getting insta-locked off a lowsec gate. Still, what some find annoying beyond all reason others quite enjoy. Though perhaps random loot spawning may not exactly work in the examples you outlined, perhaps the wreckage of a late players ship would better fit the bill? Of course if that ship was destroyed in PVP then there is a good chance who ever killed them has looted the wreak and done a runner... however if they were destroyed by PVE, or even by a storm, then you may just get lucky and find something of value that used to be in their hold.

I believe that a "sweet spot" will need to be found in order for this to be viable enough to be implemented yet not abused: 

Valuable to be worth stopping for, but not so much that you are passing up something worth wile.

Common enough so that a number of players will have seen them, but  rare enough to where they cannot be farmed and used as a means of economic sustenance.

This could mean a small stash of gold (Anywhere from 50-200 doubloons/game currency) to maybe a cannon or two, to some cargo that, if sold in the right port, could fetch a fair price.

Again, a sort of "Goldilocks area" may be all that is needed and really shouldn't be that hard to find and tweak.