Game-Labs Forum

French Frigate L'Hermione

PIerrick de Badas

Pointing into the 50's isn't unheard of, were talking a fine french frigate here, not a slab sided ship of the line.  Niagara pointed up into the low 50's, I was on her tiller close hauled a number of times watching the anemometer and looking up stunned trying to figure out why the fore topsail wasnt luffing yet.  Some of these ships were simply built with slightly better rigging geometry to allow sharper bracing of the yards.

Those are hand stitched natural fiber sails on Hermione, cut in the same way the oldies would have been.  Niagara has fairly flat cut sails, that helps but its not a modern invention, they were figuring out that enormous baggy sails lost wind energy too easily in the 18th century, sails got much flatter into the 1800's.  She braces her yards alot sharper than Lady, to the naked eye its significant

The lower yards closer (foresail and mainsail) are 50 ° and 30 ° for the foot ropes from the keel. There necessarily has variations depending on the type of building, the nationality of the building and its design period.

With the heel and therefore the looseness of shrouds under the wind, the angle can be 50 ° to 60 °.

Yes me too !!!

No, not really yet defined program currently. After her trip, she return in France and first stopover in Brest, then she return to Rochefort. Then she makes a gathering of old boats in France in 2016.

After ... I do not know, or say... that I can not say anything ;)