Game-Labs Forum

French Frigate L'Hermione

PIerrick de Badas

4 hours ago, Surcouf said:

...Work on azimuthal PODs in dry dock before the trip.

BLOODY CHEATER! 😜

On 5/11/2019 at 3:23 PM, Surcouf said:

Exactly! It's very strange when you go home and nothing moves and there's no noise...

It's really funny. On our sailing-trips (mostly in the mediterranean) I sleep like a baby from the first moment, where I can find some nap-time. All the swaying, the ship's noises, the talking by the rest of the crew, all fine and even helping.

First night at home after 1 or 2 weeks -> no sleep at all...

8 hours ago, Surcouf said:

The commander and his second in command.

PMAX0705.jpg

Well, ok, I really tried my best. So far, I refrained from commenting on the commander's "authentic" AWI period uniform (what is he meant to represent? A capitaine de vaisseau?,  in "petite uniforme"? Whatever. That cut of the coat tails ...too narrow for the period, the material used ... so cheap! The red collar (for undress uniform) missing, the cravat (stock is missing entirely, a no go for the period!), epaulettes are post Ancien Régime style, the waistcoat - what a strange cut (that horizontal section in the middle),  the swordbelt high over the waistcoat, arrgh! Etc., etc. (check your Boudriot and contemporary portraits to find out what's just inacceptable here) ....Oh my!

But now, with this second in command ... It's simply too much ...

That's ( meant to be) the uniform of a lieutenant de vaisseau, 1er Empire, "conforme au règlement de prairial an XII"! Of course - as for the quality of this Second in command's uniform - better but, still, overall, the same as what was said on the quality of the AWI period commander's uniform ...

Believe me, I know terribly well why I hate re-enactment... :rolleyes:

Edited by Wagram

39 minutes ago, Wagram said:

Well, ok, I really tried my best. So far, I refrained from commenting on the commander's "authentic" AWI period uniform (what is he meant to represent? A capitaine de vaisseau?,  in "petite uniforme"? Whatever. That cut of the coat tails ...too narrow for the period, the material used ... so cheap! The red collar (for undress uniform) missing, epaulettes are post Ancien Régime style, the waistcoat - what a strange cut (that horizontal section in the middle),  the swordbelt high over the waistcoat, arrgh! Etc., etc. (check your Boudriot and contemporary portraits to find out what's just inacceptable here) ....Oh my!

But now, with this second in command ... It's simply too much ...

That's ( meant to be) the uniform of a lieutenant de vaisseau, 1er Empire, "conforme au règlement de prairial an XII"! Of course - as for the quality of this Second in command's uniform - same as what was said on the quality of the AWI period commander's uniform ...

Believe me, I know terribly well why I hate re-enactment... :rolleyes:

The second commander does a lot of historical reconstruction of the very large groups. He knows very, very well that this uniform is anachronistic. He knows that. But we don't care at all because it's cool to wear uniforms all the time.
But he also has the right uniform! He uses it when you arrive in a port. The other officers also have the right uniforms.
Besides, know that the owner of the Hermione scolded him for not wearing the right uniform at sea... Anything.... Especially since the association's uniforms are of poor quality as they are absolutely not warm. And it's cold at sea.
Frankly, it doesn't shock me at all that it's not the right uniform. At least he lives his passion to the full.

1 hour ago, Surcouf said:

The second commander does a lot of historical reconstruction of the very large groups. He knows very, very well that this uniform is anachronistic. He knows that. But we don't care at all because it's cool to wear uniforms all the time.
But he also has the right uniform! He uses it when you arrive in a port. The other officers also have the right uniforms.
Besides, know that the owner of the Hermione scolded him for not wearing the right uniform at sea... Anything.... Especially since the association's uniforms are of poor quality as they are absolutely not warm. And it's cold at sea.
Frankly, it doesn't shock me at all that it's not the right uniform. At least he lives his passion to the full.

46 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

It's not the uniform that makes the man...it's the man that makes the uniform.

32 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

C'est pas l'homme qui prend la mer... C'est la mer qui prend l'homme, Tatatin

Faint excuses ... all of them. :D

On the LEG 01 (the one where I sailed), we took on board two journalists from France 3 Normandie.
Here are the episodes, they are short and the n°4 is missing.... French only!

It's stealthy, but I get run into from time to time.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 5

• Like 3

On 5/16/2019 at 5:05 PM, Surcouf said:

On the LEG 01 (the one where I sailed), we took on board two journalists from France 3 Normandie.
Here are the episodes, they are short and the n°4 is missing.... French only!

It's stealthy, but I get run into from time to time.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 5

Episode 4 missing.
At the very end of the video, in the last few seconds, the guy in red is me.

English coast and the Solent.

• Like 3

Yes !!! We weren't very discreet at the same time....

Moreover (to be checked) it seems to be the first time that a frigate of 12 (or another frigate) has passed the Solent with a tricolor flag deployed!

We shot at everything that was moving, and we're not really sure that our "best enemies" are appreciated...

Usually everyone hits a foghorn, a cuckoo or something, but nothing there!!!!!! No reactions!!!!! We think they didn't like our passage.

Even the pilot and the pilot sulked at us.

Offshore at the southern tip of England we found in the early morning a refuelling at sea between three Royal Navy pertoliers/suppliers. when they separated, one passed by us. He was greeted with a cannon as he should have been. No answer.... During a salute, the laws require that you respond normally!

Only one Spitfire made two passes with figures above us. That's not surprising. And it was beautiful! We saw from afar the HMS Victoty and the HMS Warrior. There was supposed to be a stopover in Portsmouth or Southampton, but the British did not follow up. What a pity.

(The pilot for the Solent passage costs 1100€!!!!! it hurts...)

:)