Game-Labs Forum

French Frigate L'Hermione

PIerrick de Badas

On the French frigates of 12 years 1740/1780 there is no gunport. Sometimes the bottom of the port is closed to reduce the entry of water.

I think we say "sham ports" in English.

Edited by Surcouf

23 hours ago, Surcouf said:

On the French frigates of 12 years 1740/1780 there is no gunport. Sometimes the bottom of the port is closed to reduce the entry of water.

I think we say "sham ports" in English.

Thanks. Now I'll have to go look over my photos from my visit to the ship. I probably assumed there were lids to close the gun deck ports.

@Louis Garneray Yes I recall the quarter deck guns just having an open spot on the railing. But in the video it showed the crew working in the waist with water running along the deck.

The Hermione doubled the Strait of Gibraltar yesterday to take refuge behind and anchor in the evening. I can imagine the good of being at anchor. It is possible that the boat remains anchored today, a well deserved.

image41.jpg

image11.png

The frigate thus passes the strait with more than a week in advance. I suppose that until further news, she will sail near the strait to return to Tangier and honor her stopover.

And to say that some had never seen the ocean, they are now ready to "almost" all the trades of the sea. Real sailors.

image40.jpg

Tired but happy

https://youtu.be/_f3MiXwZlO4

They had a very bad weather !!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

@SurcoufOne of the videos mentioned "Force 8" conditions. That's some serious weather. Looks like she was sailing under storm stay sails at one point.

Yes, 8 of the Beaufort scale !!! With wind ralafe at 50 knots ... With only 80 crews. It is enormous !!!
In 2016 I only had 5 (about 20 knots).

To put on the cape, they had the inner jib, the foresail and the main staysail.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...