Game-Labs Forum

French Frigate L'Hermione

PIerrick de Badas

Oops ... I missed the question ... Excuse me!
It's true that the color is lighter but there may be a difference between an impression and reality. But I do not know if it's the real red. I will ask Gerard Delacroix what he thinks, he saw the Hermione not long ago. Personally I'm not shocked by the red of the replica. But to see.

Watch out for l'Hermione's monograph, I do not have it, but it seems like there are strange things. To check too!

:)

6 hours ago, Surcouf said:

Oops ... I missed the question ... Excuse me!
It's true that the color is lighter but there may be a difference between an impression and reality. But I do not know if it's the real red. I will ask Gerard Delacroix what he thinks, he saw the Hermione not long ago. Personally I'm not shocked by the red of the replica. But to see.

Watch out for l'Hermione's monograph, I do not have it, but it seems like there are strange things. To check too!

:)

Like you, I do really like the way the replica of L'Hermione actually is. Her light colors are cheerful. She's great as she is. 

Don't be mistaken on the purpose of my question. It is just my interest in history that makes me ask about the French historical colors. It seems from what I read in Boudriot's books that they were in fact quite dull. That'd be very nice of you if you could ask Delacroix and get his point of view. Thx !

If I were to buy a monograph in a near future, I wouldn't buy that of L'Hermione first, but rather L'Aurore of 1697 (or maybe Le Saint-Philippe or Les Vaisseaux du Roi) ;)

Thx for answering 🙂 

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 1

The answer of G. Delacroix :

"Et bien à l'époque, ce n'est pas vraiment du rouge mais de l'ocre rouge très économique et dont la teinte est beaucoup plus éteinte. Ce sont des pigments naturels tel qu'ils sont redécouverts aujourd'hui,  ici par exemple.

"Well at the time, it's not really red but red ocher very economical and whose color is much more extinct.These are natural pigments as they are rediscovered today, here by example."

https://www.terresetcouleurs.com/couleurs-locales.html

Precision of a painter friend who also painted the back of the schooner La Recouvrance:

"Le rouge d'époque est plus bas en valeur de ton, moins brillant, plus opaque car très chargé en terre.
Le rendu général dépend de la carrière d'extraction de la terre, de la qualité de la résine.
Autrement dit, il n'y avait pas deux rouges de même venue."

"The period red is lower in tone value, less brilliant, more opaque because very charged in the earth.
The general rendering depends on the quarry of extraction of the earth, the quality of the resin.
In other words, there were not two reds of the same kind."

• Like 1

Interesting webpage about the layout of the four officers' cabins of L'Hermione, with plan, pics and a video : here.

Each cabin is built with two rooms : a sleeping alcove with a wardrobe and a room with a trunk/seat and, in two cabins, a desk.

With the usual grey color.

Edited by LeBoiteux

Small aditionel:

"L'essai 1 est réalisé avec le pigment des Frères Nordin. Le 2 avec du pigment Lechiche. Le 3 avec du pigment Lechiche, mais en incluant de l'huile de lin à la cuisson, alors que les deux autres sont montés au gras après séchage.
 Pour vous faire une meilleure idée des valeurs de tons, le premier panneau est photographié au soleil, le second à l'ombre."

"1 is made with frères Nordin pigment.
2 with Lechiche pigment.
3 with Lechiche pigment, but including linseed oil when cooking, while the other two are greased after drying.
To get a better idea of tonal values, the first panel is photographed in the sun, the second in the shade."

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Very interesting, showing how much those red ochres could be different in that time, especially when lightened by the sun, from dull (I) to light (III), while not so different in the shade (that is logical...). The red ochre on the replica of L'Hermione looks quite similar to Lechiche's pigment n° 3, doesn't it ?

PS : Lechiche and Les Frères Nordin are current high-quality pigment makers. 

Thx Surcouf for all this info !!!

Edited by LeBoiteux

• 4 weeks later...