Game-Labs Forum

Reinforcements behind lines

Superdelic

I was playing single-player today, trying to stop a big counter-attack by the Union. I was doing well, slowly pushing forwards on them while still holding my line and VPs, but all of a sudden 3 infantry brigades and 4 artillery brigades reinforced them from WAY behind my lines. I had no reinforcements coming and they easily were able to go straight to my back VPs and take them before I could respond.

Reinforcements zones need to change based on where the battle positions are, it's just ridiculous having 7 units spawn behind you, right by your VP. Either that needs to change, or at LEAST the mini map during briefing needs to state where these zones are, so we can accomodate it in our strategy. Completely ruined the fun of the battle.

Reinforcements always arrive from logical directions. The Union may arrive from South or Southwest in most scenarios. I may be wrong but it looks like some of the AI union forces came from south, sneaked behind your lines, hidden in the fog of war, and captured your objective. The AI can do "circular" maneuvering around objectives to flank or avoid your forces.

Superdelic - at least when you play that scenario again you will know what the AI will try and be waiting for it. The poor little AI will have no idea and send his troops right into your trap. Unless of course the AI knows that you will know and therefore changes it's tactics. :-)

I have to submit, iam not pleased with reinforcement as well. There are a bunch of scenarios where you can get advantages if you know where reinforcments are arriving.

I.e.: 1st day scenarios most of the time theres only arriving dead artillery at breams hill. Dont count on Andersons Division if you play me in battle of Devils Den, Iam already waiting in McMillan woods taking out Perry directly. In chance to change history you can take out union cav within minutes and so on and so on.

Sometimes it feels a little bit unfair using the knowledge but I suffer as well if Iam playing the "wrong" side. :D

I would really love larger maps where the reinforcments needs longer to walk in and you cant afford to place units on the edges to wait for the arrival of enemy reinforcments.