Game-Labs Forum

Prinds Christian Frederik, Danish 66-Gun SOL(1804)

Kontreadmiral

Prins-Christian-Frederik(18.jpgprins_christian_frederik.jpg

Prinds Christian Frederik and the Battle of Zealand Point

The Prinds Christian Frederik, named after the Crown Prince, was the only Danish SOL which survived the bombardment of Copenhagen, but it was lost at the battle of Zealand Point in 1808. The Danish naval hero Peter Willemoes was killed onboard the ship when he took a cannonball to the head.

Plans: http://www.orlogsbasen.dk/visskib.asp?skib=Prinds%20Christian%20Frederik&la=1

Information: http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=705

More information(In Danish): http://www.navalhistory.dk/danish/skibene/p/prindschristianfrederik%281806%29.htm

Edited by Kontreadmiral
  • Like 3

The game should include a Danish SoL from this period, I think.

The British were very impressed with many of the battleships they captured, and bought them into the service or took off their lines.

From what i've read about some of the danish ships they were supposedly very beatifully build? (I'm a Dane but have no real knowledge about the age of sail) 

- Might you have any knowledge about what impressed the British? - Were the Danish ships built a bit differently, sturdier maybe? Or was it purely the cosmetics of say, the "Christian VII"? 

Cheers,

Tommy Shelby

It definitely had to do with performance, rather than cosmetics. I'll check the source I read it in, although it may have been an offhand comment.

Oh that's cool! - Since the alot of the waters around Denmark are relatively shallow (And the vikings used that to their advantage as well) i'm thinking the Danish ships might have been built to sail in places with less water? (I might have to set up a document comparing Danish and English ships, just to see the where the differences lies) ^^ 

Oh that's cool! - Since the alot of the waters around Denmark are relatively shallow (And the vikings used that to their advantage as well) i'm thinking the Danish ships might have been built to sail in places with less water? (I might have to set up a document comparing Danish and English ships, just to see the where the differences lies) ^^

Historian Andrew Gardiner simply writes that the British were very "impressed" with some of the two-deckers captured at Copenhagen in 1807.

In particular, the 80-gun ship renamed as HMS Christian VII has the honor of being the only non-French foreign design to be used as a model for a class of British battleships (the Black Prince class).

Here is the famous Sir Edward Pellew's opinion of his flagship, Christian VII: "she combines every essential requesite that a Ship of War can have or of expressing my hope that I shall see many of her class."

Presumably, the Danish hullforms led to a good balance of SoL qualities: a stiff, steady gun platform with good seakeeping abilities and room for stores, fairly fast and weatherly.

I doubt that the SoLs were of particularly shallow draft, as this leads to a leewardly ship that can't stay at sea for long. This is the reason the British didn't favor the captured Danish frigates, although they recognized the innovative nature of the designs by Hohlenberg.

• Like 1

Waow. Thanks for spending time on this!

- The more i learn about the Danish ships the more i want some to be ingame. Not only a SoL but also a frigate - I'm sure there are some places around the carribbean where a shallow draft frigate will be nice to have! 

Again, many thanks for this! 
Cheers.

Destroyed after several hours of battle with the english ships STATELY and HMS Nassau 

The most interesting thing about the whole thing is that HMS Nassau was originally named HMS Holsteen and was a 60-gun Danish lineship as well.

Poor Danish and Sweedish getting all their ships boarded or destroyed O__O