Game-Labs Forum

'De Zeven Provinciën' Dutch Warship 1665 (With plans)

Jay Gatsby

The Seven Provinces was a liner of the Admiralty of the Maze with 80 pieces of artillery, the name of the ship was also written as the 7 Provinces. The vessel had a length of 163 feet, a width of 43 feet and a cavity of 16.5 feet (NB: Amsterdam 1 foot = 28.3 cm). The displacement was approximately 1600 tons and the ship carried more than 2,000 sqm sail. The crew had more than 420 heads. The ship was built in 1664-1665 in the old Admiralty shipyard on the Haringvliet in Rotterdam. The architect was Salomon Janszn Temple, a scion of a famous family of Rotterdam shipbuilders.

Model (scale 1:87) of the Seven Provinces in 1665, commissioned by the Bataviawerf Herbert Tomesen

The ship began his career as temporary flagship of Vice Admiral Jansse Aert van Nes, then it became the flagship of Lieutenant-Admiral Michiel de Ruyter Adriaenszoon (1666-1674). It participated in the Four Days Battle of North Foreland (1666), the two-day Battle (1666) and Journey to Chatham (1667), in the Second Anglo-Dutch War. Furthermore, the ship participated in the Battle of Sole Bay (1672); the double battle of Clean Field (1673) and the Battle of Texel (1673). In 1674 it went under De Ruyter expedition to Martinique. After the death of De Ruyter was in 1678 the flagship of Rear Admiral Jan van Brakel. In 1691 was Rear-Admiral Johan Snellen command of the ship, he died that same year on board. The ship was part of a combined Anglo-Dutch fleet under Edward Russell in 1692 where by the French in the Battle of La Hougue leak was shot. The last commander of the ship was Captain Evert de Lieffde, whose log has been preserved from 1692. Eventually, it was sold for scrap in 1694.

Since 1995, the Batavia Yard in Lelystad built a replica of this ship, which is considered one of the most famous warships of the Dutch Golden Age. The construction of this 'new' Seven Provinces was stopped in 2013 for financial reasons. The aim was to reconstruct the ship using all available sources and as authentic as possible.

There are several ships that have called The Seven Provinces, including the modern frigate The Seven Provinces in 2002.

JjvScJB.jpg XQIYNwx.jpgENRWdN3.jpg

JceCpES.jpg

cq3DVvY.jpg

QGNha7l.png

De_Zeven_Provincien_Stern_View.jpg 21-de-zeven-provincien-op-het-ij-2006-53

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

On a related note, I got Napoleon: Total War during the Steam Summer Sale, and noticed that the 80-gun SoL in that game looked really odd and out-of-place, but somehow familiar. I eventually found this topic (I'd probably seen it before, a while ago) and figured out that the reason N:TW's 80-gunner looks so odd is that her hull looks like it was based on this ship, which is from 1665, as opposed to a historically-accurate 80-gunner from the Napoleonic Wars. LOL

Edited by Arvenski

I visited the Bataviawerf recently, and they told me construction of the Zeven Provinciën has stopped indefinitely. They need all the funding they get to keep the Batavia afloat. The Zeven Provinciën will most likely never be completed, but its frame will be kept to show visitors how ships were built.

I visited the Bataviawerf recently, and they told me construction of the Zeven Provinciën has stopped indefinitely. They need all the funding they get to keep the Batavia afloat. The Zeven Provinciën will most likely never be completed, but its frame will be kept to show visitors how ships were built.

This is such sad news. First she is almost destroyed by fire and now no funds. I remember visiting the Bataviawerf in the 1990's when they had started framing her. I can see how expensive it is just to maintain Batavia though. They initially used all 17th century materials and construction methods.

On a positive note L'Hermione was built in France over 15 years using mostly public donations. So there may be hope yet!

i readed that they laid the keel down for one twodecker or was that some british guys 

i think the brit are planing it and the french laid it down but cant remember where i readed it.

another reason for bringing her ingame

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I wonder one thing cause I have searched a bit around the net, Is there any interesting dutch ship of the line of mid-late XVIII century?

On steels ship plans post there are some nice ships, especially in my opinion the 54 gunners