Game-Labs Forum

FAQ - The 'Open World'

Flip

*****Updated as of 9/23/2015 - I have returned home so will try to update this over the next few days, adding a few things and correcting the older FAQs.****

Q. How do I gain XP?

A. Dealing damage to enemy armor, dealing damage to enemy crew, and damage to enemy sails all grant XP, based on the amount of damage dealt.

Q. What are 'Contraband goods' and what does it mean?

A. Often when clicking on a merchant in a 'trader' variant of a ship, the description "Contraband goods found" will be displayed. These NPC's can be attacked, even if they are of the same nationality as you

at no penalty to your reputation. A good way to start earning XP and gold early on in your Open World career.

Q. Are clans/guilds available yet?

A. The system is currently not in the game but will be coming soon, you can still group up with clan mates and fight together though!

Q. Is there a agreed upon PVP gathering area?

A. The Windward Passage. Google it if you don't understand.

Q. What do (combat) ranks effect?

A. Ranks effect the number of crew you can have, and thus directly effects what boat you can sail in a competent manner. Don't try to sail a Frigate with 50 crew!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing the same questions regarding the open world mechanics, plans, etc asked over and over I've decided to compile them into one handy, albeit long, post.

Admins/Mods feel free to edit this post to update answers or to add answers or questions not covered. I have tried to include quotes or sources where applicable to make the authenticity of the answers as accurate as possible. 

Anyways, here is a start, I will add more as they come up, are suggested, or as I see them asked.

Q. When will the Open World Testing begin?

A. SoonTM  :ph34r: - But seriously has started already. 

Q. What will be the 'entry standard' set by Game Labs to Open World Testing?

A. An express invitation or having the Santisima Trinidad unlocked in the Sea Trials testing to be included in the first waves. Don't fret, everyone will get in eventually!

Q. What "Starting Nations" will be available in the Open World?

A. 

Spain - Easy: several starting zones, distant areas with low combat (ideal for traders), some zones with shallow waters.

Britain - Easy: several starting zones, 1 zone with shallow waters

France - Medium: several starting zones, no shallow water areas

Denmark - Hard: starts in between multiple enemies 

United Provinces (Dutch) - Medium: 2 starting locations

Sweden - Impossible: starts with 1 port on St Barthelemy island (we can add another port on Guadelupe which Sweden controlled around 1814)

USA - Medium: 3 ports on Florida coast, but somewhat distant from enemies

Check out this map for visualization of all this! (http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4666-nations-neutrals-pirates-and-ports-summary/)

Q. Pirates, what about pirates!

A. Anyone can be a pirate, simply attacking forces seen to be 'friendly' to you will make you a pirate. (For example, playing British and attacking a British merchant.) This will make you "kill on sight" forEVERYONE in the game as well as restricting you to only using some ports, making piracy risky and very difficult. (see this thread). Pirates are NOT a Nation in Naval Action.

Q. How big is the map?

A. The map spans 16 million square km and includes most of the Caribbean including part of the South Carolina coast.

Q. What does the open world look like?

A. Check out this thread dummy! (http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4225-open-world-beautiful-places/)

Q. Will there be crafting and an economy?
A. Yes, ships can be built and will vary in stats based on what materials are used to construct them. 

Update: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6869-basic-guide-to-crafting-ships/

Q. What are 'Explorers' and what do they do?

A. When a resource appears on the map it has to be 'discovered' by explorers, which allows it to be exploited my merchants. This in turn uses up the resource and once depleted will spawn a new resource somewhere else on the map.

More details: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4640-open-world-prototype-resources/

Q. If I sink do I lose my ship?

A. Yes and no, when you buy or obtain a ship (not captured) it will have 5 durability points. One point is lost every time you sink, get burned down, etc with permanent loss occurring after losing the 5th point of durability. Captured ships come with only one point of durability. Upon losing durability one must also repair the ship. Surrendering a ship reduces the repair cost, making surrender more appealing than sinking outright.

Q. What are "Premium Ships?"

A. Premium ships are ships bought for real money that have more aesthetic qualities than common ships to set them apart. They are never permanently lost (imagine durability set to infinity) but still require repairs when damaged/sunk. When captured they are put into a nearly useless condition to be little more than a trophy. Some exceptionally well crafted player made ships will be BETTER than the premium ships in stats.

Q. After a battle, do I have to repair my ship?

A. Yes, if damaged, this can happen on the OS (by use of a kit) or in a friendly/neutral Port.

Q. What happens after I sink/surrender?

A. After losing a ship the player spawns in the nearest friendly, neutral, or free port; whichever is closest. 

Q. I have more questions about ship loss and I want to enter the discussion!

A, Click this silly.

Q. Are battles in the Open World instanced or do they take place on the map?

A. Battles are instanced separately from the Open World Map.

Q. Will ships be upgrade able?

A. Yes, ships can be upgraded with permanent and non-permanent modules, the difference being permanent ones can only be removed by destroying the module.

Q. Can I get off my ship and explore ports, islands, etc in avatar form.

A. It all depends on how successful the game will become. It might be possible in the near future. 

Q. Can I avoid PVP altogether?

A. Yes and no, the world is currently planned to be open PVP anywhere, that said, friendly NPC's in the area will enter battles to help you if engaged. So, for example, playing in certain areas where NPC's have fleets of first rates will make you almost completely safe from PVP.

Q. Can I log off in the middle of the vast ocean?

A. "Logging off will be possible in the open sea. Your ship will be vulnerable for some short period of time and then will disappear from the map." - Admin

Q. Will there be npc's in this trial or is it going to be strictly players?

A. "Some NPCs are sailing the world already - they will need tuning of course." - Admin

Update: Many NPC's can be found, ranging from a lowly Lynx to a fleet of 74's.

Q. Can my tiny boat engage that big scary elephant 1st rate?

A. No, smaller boats can not attack boats that are exceedingly larger (think Lynx vs Victory). This is planned to cut back on greifing/trolling.

Q. If I 'tag' someone on the Open Sea Map to engage in battle, do other players get 'sucked' into the fight?

A. Yes, all nearby friendly players and NPC's will join the battle. Whether NPCs always join if nearby or only if you are alone is unknown. This is planned to prevent splitting.

Q. If my friends and I win a fight, who gets to keep the surrendered ships? 

A. The player that does the most damage to the surrendered ship will 'own' it, if the surrendered ship was a result of boarding combat, the player who boarded the ships will 'own' it.

Q. Are there guilds? Can they own ports?

A. Yes, yes, and yes. Guilds will be able to found/own ports - details to come!

Q. If I have 100 friends who play can I make my own Nation?

A. Yes in theory it is planned. You could play as a 'neutral' and fly under the flag of the Ottoman Empire, Russia, Genoa etc and wage war. Good luck though! 

Q. Will the Sea Trials version of combat (instanced from a lobby) continue to exist?

A. Yes.

Q. Where can I find guilds recruiting players for the Open World?

A. Here: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/forum/39-guilds-clans-and-trading-companies/

Done for now, will add more as they come up/as I see them,

Q. Will there be a way to flee battles? For example, if I am caught by the stronger enemy and go to an instanced battle, will there be a way to get out without fighting/striking colors?

A. In the beginning of the battle both parties are given a certain time to engage or disengage from combat. Once that time has passed if you are out of combat for a certain amount of time you can exit the battle.

Once you exit to the open world you will be invisible and invulnerable for a certain time to allow you reposition yourself and avoid campers. -Admin

Q. Do battles have a hard timer?

A. Yes. "Battle also has a hard time limit.. so it will not be endless per se.. just long.'' - Admin

Q. What happens if I disconnect somehow (power failure, pc crash, internet dies) during a battle?
A. "
I spoke with Admin this morning, and he confirmed that disconnecting will act just like a Surrender at that moment." -Henry Darby

Basically disconnecting will act as a surrender in its current form.

"Autosurrenders ease the pain of people with bad internet." -Admin

• Like 34

Just a quick question about "Battles are instanced separately from the Open World Map"

- does this mean what I think it does? That once a battle is imminent all the combatants are sucked out of the beautiful open world scenery and dumped back in the old circular arena with it's default backgrounds of islands etc.?

If this is so (and I really hope it's not) it'll mean that the open world geography will become largely irrelevant to tactics. We won't, for example, be able to embay an opponent or drive them into shallow water during a fight.

I'm sure I'm wrong but a little reassurance would be nice

regards

• Like 7

Just a quick question about "Battles are instanced separately from the Open World Map"

- does this mean what I think it does? That once a battle is imminent all the combatants are sucked out of the beautiful open world scenery and dumped back in the old circular arena with it's default backgrounds of islands etc.?

If this is so (and I really hope it's not) it'll mean that the open world geography will become largely irrelevant to tactics. We won't, for example, be able to embay an opponent or drive them into shallow water during a fight.

regards

You've got the general idea of it as far as I know, yeah. It all depends on how much integration there is between the open world and the instances (so if you do chase someone up a bay in the open world, will the instance be in a bay as well? Of that, I'm not sure). 

regards

old circle had only one purpose. kiting and running. in open world it will be allowed

in the prototype you will see the same instances.. because open world mechanics are more important for testing. 

eventually more varied instances will be added 

and some day we will pull the map from the open world. 

• Like 9

old circle had only one purpose. kiting and running. in open world it will be allowed

in the prototype you will see the same instances.. because open world mechanics are more important for testing. 

eventually more varied instances will be added 

and some day we will pull the map from the open world. 

Glad to heard that. Overjoyed:P

Is there any way to "Redeem" yourself so that you can stop being a pirate?Maybe you were agitated/drunk/whatever and you decided to attack a friendly, is there any way to say "I regret that, take some gold, can you all stop shooting me now" or something?

Edited by Stuka

Great post.

Maybe include something about weather dynamics, day/night cycle and navigation?

If you can find hard facts about them I will gladly include them. Just post them here.

Is there any way to "Redeem" yourself so that you can stop being a pirate?Maybe you were agitated/drunk/whatever and you decided to attack a friendly, is there any way to say "I regret that, take some gold, can you all stop shooting me now" or something?

So far, it appears that the plan is to make that pirate flag a permanent situation. Be careful whom you attack!

• Like 1

To expand on this:  Any information yet about what will "flag" you as a pirate specifically?  Is it an active "pull a friendly from the open world and fire upon them" kind of thing, do a certain high percent of damage to a friendly, or the dreaded "crap, I overshot and hit my friend with one piece of chain, and now I'm a pirate forever! (hope not)"?

So far, it appears that the plan is to make that pirate flag a permanent situation. Be careful whom you attack!

I think it should be based on reputation.  I mean if you take one ship as a pirate, kill their crew and sail off with their cargo, there are no witnesses and even if there were, if they just sailed to the other end of the Caribbean no one would have a clue they had ever pirated anything anywhere.  Basically they could just re-integrate at the new port.  I mean it isn't like today with cameras and internet.  Also even with all this technology, if you were walking down a street, would you be able to recognized a somoli pirate if he was standing next to you?

Real world example here.  Worked as a Bank Manager and one day two Dept of Homeland Security agents ask to see me.  Apparently one of my customers whom I shook hands with and joked with every week when he came in to make deposits was arrested in conjunction with money laundering for Al Quedia.  I had been shaking hands and talking to a someone who hated my guts and wanted to destroy me every week and didn't have a clue.  

Point being unless you gain a reputation as a pirate, no one is going to be able to identify you as one so there should be some sort of reputation threshold required, like maybe pillage 5 ships or something or maybe make it so pirates are only KOS and barred from ports in relatively small local area unless/until their reputation grows or they commit crimes everywhere. 

To expand on this:  Any information yet about what will "flag" you as a pirate specifically?  Is it an active "pull a friendly from the open world and fire upon them" kind of thing, do a certain high percent of damage to a friendly, or the dreaded "crap, I overshot and hit my friend with one piece of chain, and now I'm a pirate forever! (hope not)"?

Attacking a neutral or an ally will flag as a pirate, not friendly damage in a battle (but friendly damage will be recorded).

hey flip I got one for ya when do the next set of ships come out when o.s. testing begins or sooner ?

Going off a guess here... Considering the devs have said the final sea trials patch has already been issued, I wouldn't expect new ships until the open world launches. That said, there are a few, which, last we heard, were nearing completion such as the ingermanland (sp?). So maybe we will see it before hand but assuming open world is close to being ready for initial testing by all accounts, I would expect them after said event.

I refrain from adding this kind of Q and A since the answers are not backed by facts and can lead people astray.

• Like 1

This is very bad imo, your own faction cant come and help you if youre being attacked by pirates/other factions. I hope they change this, it might be a dealbreaker for me.

This is very bad imo, your own faction cant come and help you if youre being attacked by pirates/other factions. I hope they change this, it might be a dealbreaker for me.

It's because people from the area are in fact pulled into the match. Kind of unfortunate I wish open world was open world without instances.

Edited by Jack Freedom
  • Like 2