Game-Labs Forum

Problems with unread posts

I've noticed that this forum sometimes seems to have trouble remembering that I've read the last post in a thread. I'll be browsing the forum, come to a thread that I've been paying attention to, notice that the thread title is dark blue (meaning there are unread posts), click on that little dot on the left that takes you to the first unread post, read through all the unread posts, and go on my way. Later, I'll come back, see that the thread I was reading earlier is dark blue again, click on the dot, and I'll get taken to the last post in the thread, which I read earlier. To put it another way, it will say that there is an unread post, but there really won't be (because I read earlier the post that it will take me to).

Sometimes this happens many times for the same post. I don't know how many times since this post was made that I've seen that thread's title be dark blue, but there won't be any new posts (I just keep getting taken to the post that I linked). Sometimes it even does this with posts I've made myself. I'll make a post, leave, come back, notice that the thread title is dark blue, but when I click on the dot, I'll find out that the only "new post" is the one I made earlier. 

Note, this doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally, but it happens enough to be annoying. I wasn't going to say anything, but I finally snapped and decided to make thread about it. 

• Like 1

Usually it happens because you don't notice that there are newer posts on the next page after the last unread. So the forum software think you still have (and you really have) unread posts in this thread.

Usually it happens because you don't notice that there are newer posts on the next page after the last unread. So the forum software think you still have (and you really have) unread posts in this thread.

No, that's not what's happening. A thread might not get posted in for days, and I will have made sure that I read the last post in it, but the forum will (sometimes repeatedly) keep telling me that there are new posts. Sometimes I'm the last person to post in a thread, and then it might tell me later that there are unread posts, but my post will still be the last one in the thread (so there really weren't any new posts). 

No, that's not what's happening. A thread might not get posted in for days, and I will have made sure that I read the last post in it, but the forum will (sometimes repeatedly) keep telling me that there are new posts. Sometimes I'm the last person to post in a thread, and then it might tell me later that there are unread posts, but my post will still be the last one in the thread (so there really weren't any new posts).

Same here. I have to refresh the page several times and reopen the threads before it registers that I actually read the thread.

It feels like I might've had this happen with threads that haven't had polls, too, but I can't be sure. 

Also:

If you've already voted then forum software marks the poll as unread after each new vote.

That's a pretty crappy software design, then, if you ask me. 

How can I do that? There is no way to show that I already read those threads.

Do like I did. Wait until it happens again (with a thread that doesn't have a poll), and then posts screenshots along with some explanation.