Game-Labs Forum

Generals running away

When did the generals start running away? Its getting really annoying when I've got say the general of the first scenario runs away before I can even get onto Macpherson's Ridge as the rebels. I could understand if it happens when most of his brigades are running away but its happening when their behind a brigade thats attacking. And then attacking Oak and Semenary Ridges is next to impossible when my general is skidaddling!

But is it just me or does the proximity of the general make a difference? I feel like the closer a unit is to the general the more morale benefit they get. But keeping them close to my troops is a nightmare when they want to stay away from any enemy troops. I just had Hill run away during an attack on Cemetary Hill without any of his troops running away due to a surprise Union charge catching me unawares. Needless to say the attack broke down with huge casualties once my troops realised their general was two hills to the rear and still going. They then followed his example......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

But is it just me or does the proximity of the general make a difference? I feel like the closer a unit is to the general the more morale benefit they get.

It does not make any difference. The General will replenish all units inside radius that belong to the same Corps (highlighted green) in the same way. Units do not have to be covered completely by the command circle, thus the replenishment will be triggered even just a couple of sprites at the side of the unit touches the command circle. Note, however, that the replenishment speed is depending on the so far performance of the unit in that specific battle. A unit that has suffered a morale drop once will replenish it faster than another that has suffered twice and so on.    

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice. Can I ask why generals run away? I know it'll be easier now im not keeping them right behind the frontline brigades but it would be nice if I knew the parameters so I can try and avoid them all as my general running away is usually a deathknell....

Generals are not fighting units but they may be panicked if they get very close to the enemy or caught in the middle of an infantry engagement.  If they do they will retreat (its flag will blink in white) and remain temporarily out of player control until they recover. For that they have an auto-evade system to avoid proximity with the enemy. Try to protect your general behind your infantry line. If the enemy attacks your front line and your General falls back, re-order him constantly to stay closely but behind your line and support your troops. If, however, there is a crack in your line you must decide quickly what part of your split line he will support because if there are hostile units between 2 parts of your front the General will not be able to move from the one part to the other (or you'll have to outmaneuver the enemy which might be fatal for your troops since both parts will be found without support during the General's outmaneuver).

• Like 1

Generals are not fighting units but they may be panicked if they get very close to the enemy or caught in the middle of an infantry engagement.  If they do they will retreat (its flag will blink in white) and remain temporarily out of player control until they recover. For that they have an auto-evade system to avoid proximity with the enemy. Try to protect your general behind your infantry line. If the enemy attacks your front line and your General falls back, re-order him constantly to stay closely but behind your line and support your troops. If, however, there is a crack in your line you must decide quickly what part of your split line he will support because if there are hostile units between 2 parts of your front the General will not be able to move from the one part to the other (or you'll have to outmaneuver the enemy which might be fatal for your troops since both parts will be found without support during the General's outmaneuver).

Just a wee add on here i have experienced some unscrupulous opponents were they take advantage of incarcerating your General! Yes i do mean taking General prisoner!

By using his skirmishers and vedettes he sweeped the General into Map corner and pinned him there oh joy!

A great lesson in watching over the most important unit on the map!!

Also i've seen opponents using General as a Recon unit by moving it around the map to extract intel. All very gamey stuff and i can't understand how some ppl think this is perfectly legal?

I know we all try to gain edge to get that Victory but this only corrupts the game.

i would be interested to hear what the Devs think about this kinda stuff.   :unsure:  

• Like 1

Well, though personally I would never use such tactics, I have no problem if my opponent does. Every exploit of the current circumstances is acceptable since that is the substance of the term "strategy". And every game, no matter how perfect it is, will have flaws that may be exploited. UGG, however, offers countless opportunities to experiment in strategy in a more "traditional" military way. Talking about Generals, here is an example of using the General in an aggressive way:

I had to attack as CS at Devil's Den map. The plan I came to, was very risky but promising and completely based on the General (Longstreet). The later is considered the best General in UGG and has the largest command radius and exactly that was the advantage I decided to exploit. So, I split (!) my force and send most of Hood's division (3 brigades), including the elite Texas Brigade to a long maneuver, south of (Big) Round Top and positioned them in the back of the enemy line, almost at the mid-right edge of the map (US artillery almost broke the plan). Meanwhile I waited for McLaws division to enter the map and take positions. My plan was simple: I would launch a simultaneous attack from the west and east. My objective was the forest at the Cemetery ridge, just south of the VP. If I could advance my troops in that area which provides excellent cover, then the battle would be actually over and to my favor. The biggest problem was that the troops located in the east had not a General support and despite their eliteness they would be doomed. So the crucial strategic factor was assault sync.

TvrBhL.jpg

To the action: when McLaws division took position I launched the simultaneous attack from east and west: rantevouz point the mentioned forest. From the west, I followed a path between Wheatfield and Devil's Den. My opponent tried to halt my advance and attacked me from north (peach orchard), the south (Little Round Top) and the east (from the forest which was my objective). My attack from the east forced him to keep forces at the forest so his attack from that point against my western advance was weak. Also using a couple of good units, I delayed his counter-attack from north and south. Soon, a safe corridor was created and managed to advance Longstreet just when my east units were starting wavering. Now Longstreet could also support those units which soon recovered and re-attacked. The result was to seize the forest and position my tired units in the woods to recover. My opponents had the most part of the map and all three VPs but I had split his forces in two and captured a strong position at the center of his front line. The rest was easy. I defended easily this position and when my units recovered I launched an assault on Little Round Top to the south. My 3rd Corps that came as reinfs swept the north part of the map and soon the battlefield was mine.

• Like 4