Game-Labs Forum

2nd battle after a restart

Alexology

Hi there all, 

I have not played the game much but I ran into an issue today. I won the first battle as the confederates as an epic victory (big smiles on this one!). I then moved into the second battle but when I tried to assault the next ridge after the start of the battle my troops almost immediately broke and ran. 

So my marvellous attack fell apart totally. So I restarted the battle and had a look at my units morale and discovered that they were really in bad shape. So I developed a new plan and sent most of my force to rest in a rear area and let my cannon go to work on the enemy holding the ridge. 

So the problem? Well firstly why were my units on terribly low morale while the enemy were not after they lost the first battle? 

The next problem was that when I received reinforcements from the north of the map I sent them straight into combat only to discover that they all broke and ran after only a few moments of combat too. These were fresh troops (not used in the last battle) but had arrived with very low morale. 

So am I looking at a bug here or as intended? Incidently when I finally did try to attack the enemy forces did not break at all and this is after their having lost the previous battle. 

Hi,

This happened probably because you exhausted your units in your previous battle and they could not continue on an immediate first assault. I remind that morale and condition shape is saved during the campaign for all units. Your reinforcements arrived tired (if you were in the scenario near Cemetery ridge) as they marched faster to sync with your advance. So you should have rested a bit before commencing an assault. Watch the condition of your units and do not attempt to attack unless it is high enough. Keep reserves so that you have always fresh troops and keep the pressure on your enemy.

Resting and reorganizing in a good position, scraping together reserves, and organizing a position is fun in itself and also quite useful.  A useful role in any multiplayer with more than 1 player on a side, since it's easy to get focused on critical fights.  

Wow ok that adds a whole other level of complexity to the game. OK guys thanks for the help. 

One more thing before I try this again, if I hold my forces back in the second battle and fail to take the objectives what happens? Do I have to win (even only just win) the scenario in order to continue or is the entire campaign carried over and I can try again with the new forces in a possible third battle? 

Let me be clearer, if I hold my line, re-org my troops and allow the morale to build up again but thereby lose (or fail to win) the second battle, what will happen?