Game-Labs Forum

Spyglass image

The actual 18th century telescopes I have had the chance to look through show the image inverted. In other words, upside down. I do like the view of drips of water on the lens in spyglass mode, however is it intended to eventually have the spyglass image inverted? Or is this going to far along the road of realism?

The reason that 18th century telescopes showed an inverted image was because of the fact that the the telescope only had an eye piece and a single objective lens, just like a modern astronomical telescope. To obtain an upright image required more lenses within the telescope and this did not occur until much later than the time that Naval Action is set.

Maybe the inverted image option could have a much greater magnification than and upright one?

Say 10 times magnification upright and 20 times magnification inverted?

• Like 1

The reason that 18th century telescopes showed an inverted image was because of the fact that the the telescope only had an eye piece and a single objective lens, just like a modern astronomical telescope. To obtain an upright image required more lenses within the telescope and this did not occur until much later than the time that Naval Action is set.

Maybe the inverted image option could have a much greater magnification than and upright one?

Say 10 times magnification upright and 20 times magnification inverted?

Personally, I don't see the fairness in allowing different capabilities for users that want the image to be upside down.  Maturin has a good point, if you're going to give an advantage to historical "mode" for spyglasses, they should be locked at a single magnification power.  I don't think that's a feature that adds to the fun.

• Like 1

Fun fact, if a human wears glasses that invert their eyesight and make the world upside down, after a few days your brain will actually flip your eyesight to see everything rightside up.  Lets just pretend that these captains have had their spyglasses trained to their eye for a few days, so whenever they put it up to their eye they see the world as not inverted!

Fun fact, if a human wears glasses that invert their eyesight and make the world upside down, after a few days your brain will actually flip your eyesight to see everything rightside up.  Lets just pretend that these captains have had their spyglasses trained to their eye for a few days, so whenever they put it up to their eye they see the world as not inverted!

But the captain doesn't look through the spyglass 24/7 :P 

It would be a bit odd to have a realistic inverted image in a telescope with variable zoom levels (seemingly x2 all the way to x30)

........... not to mention an unfair advantage for our Australian players!

• Like 4

Yes I agree the zoom aspect is also all wrong. I withdraw my suggestion of zooming. However the view should be inverted to be correct.

I think viewers will at first be confused and then learn just how difficult it was to use an 18thcentury telescope. They will get used to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I agree the zoom aspect is also all wrong. I withdraw my suggestion of zooming. However the view should be inverted to be correct.

I think viewers will at first be confused and then learn just how difficult it was to use an 18thcentury telescope. They will get used to it.

This seems a realistic over fun question to me. I'd prefer the fun. A far bigger issue to me is the ability to look out of the prowl of the boat with a telescope as opposed to being limited with the sides.