Game-Labs Forum

USS Brig Eagle (1814) "with plans"

Eagle.jpg

EagleSM61web.jpg

The US Brig Eagle fought in the War of 1812 on Lake Champlain (The Battle of Plattsburg Bay).

The Eagle was built at Vergennes, Vermont between July 23rd and August 11th of 1814 by shipwright Adam Brown. An amazing feat in itself when you consider it generally took many months to build a ship of this size and the shipbuilders who built this ship did it in only 19 days. But time was of the essence.

Finished in bare time to participate in the decisive Battle of Lake Champlain on 11 September 1814, Eaglerendered service. The first vessel in the American line, she fought HMS ChubHMS Linnet, and HMS Confiancealongside the USS Saratoga. During the course of the battle she was holed 39 times and had 13 men killed and 20 wounded. After the battle she was laid up for preservation at Whitehall, New York, but was sold in 1825.

Type:                           Brig

Displacement:           500 long tons (508 t)

Propulsion:                Sail

Complement:            150 officers and enlisted

Armament:                 8 × 18-pounder guns + 12 × 32-pounder carronades

Rate:                          I do not know how the rating system works

Plans (3 Pictures) + other Pictures press Show of Spoiler to see it.

u8y2wga4nnv.jpg

1y9kc3f1nzqb.jpg

Eagle%20Section.jpg

gallery_616_544_5438.jpg

gallery_616_544_15144.jpg

gallery_616_544_22707.jpg

gallery_616_544_37673.jpg

1302215210_702_FT0_img_0680_.jpg

sources:

PS: I used the search function of this forum, but i didn't find this ship here, if this ship is already posted @mods pls delete it. Edited by Obinotus
  • Like 3

These lake boats, Niagra, Eagle, etc, all the same.

They are fast and heavily armed, but the speed comes from the shallow hull which in turn means they would be unseaworthy and have next to no room for provisions. Which is fine running around in shallow water and never far from a base, but not much use on the open sea.

I agree with Alex Conner.  The Lake Champlain vessels from the war of 1812 are not true ocean capable sailing ships.

They're custom built just to work on Lake Champlain.  They're not deep ocean craft.  They're so shallow draft that they would be unweatherly like you wouldn't believe, and as Alex pointed out they also have barely a cargo space for food and water, which is not a big deal when you are never more than 3 or 4 miles from shore on a freshwater lake.

They're great looking, I agree, but my vote is to stay away from the Lake Champlain stuff.  They're too specialized and don't fit into the goal of Naval Action.

we allready have the snow (hms Ontario) as an ship from the lakes

I know what you are trying to say, but actually we're not talking about the Great Lakes, aka Lake Superior, Huron, or Ontario.  Those lakes are practically fresh water oceans.  I've even seen a US Navy Guided Missile Cruiser docked at Duluth when I was there.

Remember that Lake Champlain is just a relatively large, but otherwise normal lake inside New York state.  That is another matter.  Those vessels are very different, mostly because they have a ridiculously shallow draft.  

Edited by weirdguy

I agree with Alex Conner.  The Lake Champlain vessels from the war of 1812 are not true ocean capable sailing ships.

They're custom built just to work on Lake Champlain.  They're not deep ocean craft.  They're so shallow draft that they would be unweatherly like you wouldn't believe, and as Alex pointed out they also have barely a cargo space for food and water, which is not a big deal when you are never more than 3 or 4 miles from shore on a freshwater lake.

They're great looking, I agree, but my vote is to stay away from the Lake Champlain stuff.  They're too specialized and don't fit into the goal of Naval Action.

I know what you are trying to say, but actually we're not talking about the Great Lakes, aka Lake Superior, Huron, or Ontario.  Those lakes are practically fresh water oceans.  I've even seen a US Navy Guided Missile Cruiser docked at Duluth when I was there.

Remember that Lake Champlain is just a relatively large, but otherwise normal lake inside New York state.  That is another matter.  Those vessels are very different, mostly because they have a ridiculously shallow draft.

A brig can operate in open sea for example the HMS Beagle was a "research vessel" a modified "brig" with a ridiculously shallow draft, because they needed that for exploring or isn't it?

Edited by Obinotus

Beagle was a Cherokee-class brig, built as a warship by the Royal Navy. As such, she would have been designed to be weatherly and capacious for long-distance ocean passages.

That means that her draft is likely much greater, relatively speaking, than a Great Lakes vessel like Niagara.

Of course, the Cherokee-class was saddled with the moniker 'coffin brigs' because a fourth of them were lost at sea. They were at the low end of what is survivable on open water, with low freeboard and a tendency to flood their decks.

• Like 2

Even though they are not built for the open seas, I don't see why they couldn't be in NA.   Even if with massive leeway if it's quick enough to get in close and be able to harass shipping someone in NA will like it.  

Maybe those who turn Pirate could find a use for it and also (if we're able) modify to it helps to mitigate some of the negative qualities while still keeping a high speed. 

A brig can operate in open sea for example the HMS Beagle was a "research vessel" a modified "brig" with a ridiculously shallow draft, because they needed that for exploring or isn't it?

A brig is a type of sailing rig. It says little about the size or sea worthiness of a vessel. Some brigs were large, some brigs were small, some had a very shallow draft. Some were build for use on lakes, some were used on the open ocean.

The USS Brig Eagle was clearly not build for the open ocean.

~Brigand

Even though they are not built for the open seas, I don't see why they couldn't be in NA.   Even if with massive leeway if it's quick enough to get in close and be able to harass shipping someone in NA will like it.  

Maybe those who turn Pirate could find a use for it and also (if we're able) modify to it helps to mitigate some of the negative qualities while still keeping a high speed. 

The main reason is that there are plenty of other brigs and snows you could do that are actual ocean going vessels instead of small vessels made just for use on one large lake in upstate New York.

• 6 years later...

I think a ship like this could be useful for some people, it could end up being something to use as a launching off point from the smaller ships.  It could be used as a privateer type vessel for small fast ships that are cheap and fun to play around with.  Responding to what some people are saying about it not having a large hold. If it’s not going out into the open ocean and staying in coastal waters there’s no need for a large hold.  And to the people who say it can’t compete with ocean going vessels, it was built as the same type of vessel as the Niagara and that seems to hold up fine. 

Disclaimer: I’m from Vermont and probably a bit biased because the Eagle is local history and can be used as bragging rights over people from New York and Massachusetts that they didn’t get invaded in 1814.