Game-Labs Forum

Ship plans are nice and all, but when will we get information on making 3D models.

weirdguy

I can make a good 3D model of a ship for this game.  I don't even particularly care if I get paid a lot or not.

However, I won't actually start making a 3D model of a ship unless there is an agreement and plan for the 3D model of my ship to actually be used.  It is a lot of work to make one of these ships.

So far I have heard nothing but rumors that making a 3D model is possible, and that sooner or later there will be an announcement about how 3rd party 3D art guys like me can go about making a ship for the game.

Yet, nothing has been said.  I'm still not making any 3D models.

Is there a plan?

• Like 3

Concerning the ship plans, not all plans presented are set to be in-game, and are mostly just suggestions. The devs will pick their own favorites and will often have poles for community chosen ships.

As it stands, it seems that they have modelers for creating ships, but more could be useful to them.

ATM however, they have stated that the majority of resources have gone to working on the open world and the new damage model, so the modeling and addition of new ships may not be the prerogative for the time being.

weirdguy, if you want to do a ship for the game and have the skills to do so you should write a mail to the devs and ask them about the recommedations like technical requirements (polycounts and whatnot).

Some already did this but I guess they eiter went under NDA or simply abandoned their project since the public did not get any intel abou their progress. support@navalaction.com is where you want to text.

If you want to do a particular model you can tell the devs about it and they maybe approve it.

The main problem why devs did not yet come to the community with clear meanings is that they constantly change the technical requirements to their shipmodels.

Best luck.

I can make a good 3D model of a ship for this game.  I don't even particularly care if I get paid a lot or not.

However, I won't actually start making a 3D model of a ship unless there is an agreement and plan for the 3D model of my ship to actually be used.  It is a lot of work to make one of these ships.

So far I have heard nothing but rumors that making a 3D model is possible, and that sooner or later there will be an announcement about how 3rd party 3D art guys like me can go about making a ship for the game.

Yet, nothing has been said.  I'm still not making any 3D models.

Is there a plan?

First of all, Wind is a Moderator, a forum volunteer, not a Game Labs developer or employee.  He loves to find fun ships and blueprints, and posts them for us to enjoy.  He has nothing to do with actual ship modeling or development.   :)  For the record, I also am a volunteer, and not Game Labs staff, so my response is my own.

I'll follow that up with saying that I doubt you will get a guarantee that your work will be used.  Nobody is going to guarantee the usage of your work product until they've seen it, and until they've verified that it meets the requirements they have for quality levels, polygon count, etc. that they have for the game.  If they were to offer a guarantee, it would likely hinge on everything being done exactly, which may require multiple redoes of your work.  That said, I totally understand that you do not want to put weeks of effort into something that will be dismissed and not used - I've been there myself.   :)  Finally, I'm not sure they're even ready to allow outside ship input just yet as the product is still in early Alpha, which means standards are in flux and aren't set yet, which may explain the delay in posting the particular requirements they have for community submitted models.  I would second Bungee's suggestion that you email support@navalaction.com directly to see if they have any input for you.

• Like 1

First of all, Wind is a Moderator, a forum volunteer, not a Game Labs developer or employee.  He loves to find fun ships and blueprints, and posts them for us to enjoy.  He has nothing to do with actual ship modeling or development.   :)  For the record, I also am a volunteer, and not Game Labs staff, so my response is my own.

I'll follow that up with saying that I doubt you will get a guarantee that your work will be used.  Nobody is going to guarantee the usage of your work product until they've seen it, and until they've verified that it meets the requirements they have for quality levels, polygon count, etc. that they have for the game.  If they were to offer a guarantee, it would likely hinge on everything being done exactly, which may require multiple redoes of your work.  That said, I totally understand that you do not want to put weeks of effort into something that will be dismissed and not used - I've been there myself.   :)  Finally, I'm not sure they're even ready to allow outside ship input just yet as the product is still in early Alpha, which means standards are in flux and aren't set yet, which may explain the delay in posting the particular requirements they have for community submitted models.  I would second Bungee's suggestion that you email support@navalaction.com directly to see if they have any input for you.

He's right. All blueprints for ships that I post are for future 'ship vote' pickup. Think of this as a big database for future expansion. Every now and then we list best ships and people start voting. Top 5 usually end up in development. As we speak I think there are 5-6 new ships in development and will be in the game soon. Once those ships are working properly the new 'ship vote' will open up. There is no new information on standards for player made ships and none are accepted right now.  

Here is a list of candidates:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4389-list-of-ships-and-plans-presented-so-far/

If you have any ship plans please feel free to share.