Game-Labs Forum

HMS Caledonia (1808)

HMS Caledonia

120 Gun First Ratelarge.jpg

HMS Caledonia was a 120-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 25 June 1808 at Plymouth. She was Admiral Pellew's flagship in the Mediterranean.

She proved to be a very successful ship, and it was said that 'This fine three-decker rides easy at her anchors, carries her lee ports well, rolls and pitches quite easy, generally carries her helm half a turn a-weather, steers, works and stays remarkably well, is a weatherly ship, and lies-to very close.' She was 'allowed by all hands to be faultless'. In later years she was to become the standard design for British three-deckers.

On 12 February 1814 she took part with HMS Boyne in a hot action against the French line-of-battle ship Romulus off Toulon; the French 74 managed to escape to Toulon by sailing close to the coast to avoid being surrounded.

In 1831 she was part of the Experimental Squadron of the Channel Fleet under Sir Edward Codrington. On 12 September that year she took part in an experiment whereby she was towed by the frigate HMS Galatea by means of hand-worked paddles alone.

In 1856 she was converted to a hospital ship, renamed Dreadnought and became the second floating Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital at Greenwich, where she remained until 1870. In 1871 she was briefly returned to service to accommodate patients recovering from the smallpox epidemic of that year. She was broken up in 1875.

• Like 6

Pretty interesting X framing of the hull:

1920px-Caledonia_first_rate_model.jpg

SLR2822 is the starboard half, which shows improvements and modifications of the round bow and stern made by Seppings, about 1814. This new system enabled larger and stronger ships to be built which in turn allowed more guns to be carried. The 'Caledonia’ was built at the Royal Dockyard, Plymouth and was the first ship in the Royal Navy to be rated as of 120 guns. Measuring 205 feet along the gun deck and a beam of 54 feet, it had a tonnage of 2602 burden.

• Like 1

Well, I would rather not see her making it into the game. She would only serve to stretch the balance in favour of the late, later, latest ship, thereby making all earlier ships obsolete. Right now, we have the Santisima, if you introduce this, both the Victory and the Santisima would be considered uninteresting. Having more guns is only interesting as long as you have the most. Introduce this, and tomorrow comes the bigger behemoth and so on and so forth.

~Brigand

Well, I would rather not see her making it into the game. She would only serve to stretch the balance in favour of the late, later, latest ship, thereby making all earlier ships obsolete. Right now, we have the Santisima, if you introduce this, both the Victory and the Santisima would be considered uninteresting. Having more guns is only interesting as long as you have the most. Introduce this, and tomorrow comes the bigger behemoth and so on and so forth.

~Brigand

This ship is comparable to Ocean Class. Ocean class may be even better. This is not behemoth with 32 pounders on all decks.

~Brigand

I must admit that I don't understand this Brigand.

As mentioned the Océan class is on the way, which is a 118 gun behemoth very closely resembling the Caledonia, and the Santisima already carries more guns than both at 140 guns. 

I must admit that I don't understand this Brigand.

As mentioned the Océan class is on the way, which is a 118 gun behemoth very closely resembling the Caledonia, and the Santisima already carries more guns than both at 140 guns. 

I was too fast with replying: I thought it was another mooore guns! ship, based on the year and the number 120. Later I saw the images showing her side by side with the Océan class, and they are indeed rather similar.

~Brigand

• Like 3