Game-Labs Forum

Swedish 130 gun ship 1790 (paddle powered)

Narva

Sketch of 130-gun ship proposed by Patrick Miller to King Gustav III of Sweden in 1790. In Statens Sjöhistoriska Museum, Stockholm.

i_160a_s.png

Found this drawing on google and thought it looked awesome even tho I know there is absolutely zero chance it will make it into the game I just wanted to show you guys this beast.

I dont even know if this is real so if it is not I'm sorry but I just thought it was awesome :D

• Like 2

Is this real?

If it is, a stern like that is actually something ive never seen before 

it never made it past the drawing board because Sweden had no use of ships of this size since they cost to much to build and maintain and they went to deep in the water for Sweden we liked ships that were low in the water so we could sail them around our coast's and the archipelago.

Ignorant assumption here, but wouldn't the flat inward-facing sides of those double hulls have created tons of resistance whenever you tried to turn the ship? It just seems like a poor design.  

Edited by Arvenski

like all catamarans she will have close to zero rolling making her the most stable gunplatform

Catamarans are stable because the hulls so far apart. I imagine that if you just cut the bottom out of a monohull, you just get a nightmare.

Catamarans are stable because the hulls so far apart. I imagine that if you just cut the bottom out of a monohull, you just get a nightmare.

Yeah, I can't imagine simply splitting the hull in two without increasing the overall width of the hull would improve stability much if at all. 

The rather significant loss of hull would however result in quite a loss in terms of buoyancy, which seems like it would be a bit of a problem for such a big and heavy vessel - esp. considering the areas in which it had to sail.

• 1 month later...

Well, the prototype to this ship was actually buildt and was planned to take part in the war against Russia. But when it was completed the war was already over.

post-818-0-83234300-1428837466_thumb.jpg

post-818-0-48447500-1428867630_thumb.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiment_of_Leith

Why the "final" version ( that the OP posted )never got built was becase King Gutaf III asked Af Chapman for advice with this ship and Af Chapman answered  ( roughly translated )

"To take this idea and create a large armed naval ship is just the same as if you would want to give an elephant the shape of a flea just so it would be able to jump 100 times it's height up into the sky, but in the end all you end up with is a spoiled elephant and not a flea"

Hehe i guess Af Chapman didnt like the idea with this ship even thou he mentions something about stability and speed.

• Like 2

You guys have noticed that it's a proposition for a paddle powered doubled keeled ship right? ^^

I was thinking oooohhh ahhhhhhh cooool...then I noticed that and I cocked my head sideways like a dog when it's trying figure out just what the hell it's looking at....

New recruit here, been shanghaied from SimHQ :)

seen the post about paddle power...

Steam%20Loco003_zpskoq70jcg.jpg

My father and uncle both worked at Denny's Shipyard in Dumbarton, with ancestors going way back to the 1700s working at the same shipyard before it became Denny's (James Paul, Engineer 1739)

Edited by Alicatt
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...