Game-Labs Forum

User Interface Ideas (Updated 3.20.15)

UI needs minimalist old-style art. Windows phone UI is.... visually practicable but not immersive at all.

Think of a painting, the colors, and make it back into the UI. 

It is possible to get some inspiration from older naval games. Imo they made it quite nice for a game of that time :

http://video-game-store.org/Image/covers/sea-dogs/sea-dogs-image183867.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/piratesonline/images/3/34/Options6.jpg/revision/latest/zoom-crop/width/320/height/320?cb=20130710180532

Why you want to display so many canons in the layout? In my opinion this is not necessary. Front back and sides. Four circles/elements, nothing more.

What I would find useful would be an expanded charging indicator. At the moment it displays only the loading cicle of the last fired round. Why not show the last fired round AND the first fired round. Often you fire one shot and a broadside or single shots. You can not see when the first gun is ready again. Two loading circles in a circle.

Edited by MrWagner

Would love to see some Port UI. The blue screen is scaring me...

Would be really nice to have something unique, Maybe a differnet UI for different size ports and differnet regions of the map? Flags that change from Spanish to British when a Spanish port is captured by the British for example.

Maybe a background that change when going to the shop or when in the crafting menu, or a shipyard in the background when ship building. It also makes it easier to to Navigate the menus with some visual reference.

Also PLEASE give us a interactive map. Navigation played a MASSIVE role in the age of sail.We need some means of plotting courses, take bearings, co-ordinates etc. Please do not make your ship appear on the map automatically, or show it moving on the map as you sail. Rather give us a means to determine our own position by means of a sextant or something realistic, and then plotting our own position on the map and making course adjustments or setting up new headings.

• Like 2

I would like to see wind indicator on the same side as in open world. Also I would like to see the minimap close to sail/wind indicator. It too difficult to keep attention to everything now because gui is scattered all around screen in corners. Or make the positions editable.

Would love to see some Port UI. The blue screen is scaring me...

Would be really nice to have something unique, Maybe a differnet UI for different size ports and differnet regions of the map? Flags that change from Spanish to British when a Spanish port is captured by the British for example.

Maybe a background that change when going to the shop or when in the crafting menu, or a shipyard in the background when ship building. It also makes it easier to to Navigate the menus with some visual reference.

Also PLEASE give us a interactive map. Navigation played a MASSIVE role in the age of sail.We need some means of plotting courses, take bearings, co-ordinates etc. Please do not make your ship appear on the map automatically, or show it moving on the map as you sail. Rather give us a means to determine our own position by means of a sextant or something realistic, and then plotting our own position on the map and making course adjustments or setting up new headings.

This!  Yes, please!  And a wind speed indicator would be nice: Light Air, Light Breeze, Gentle Breeze, .... 

Edited by TaranisPrime

I really like the "packed up" look you suggested, Count Maurice Benyovszky.

The only thing I might change about it would be to put the crew/sails and damage stats down on either end, so they're flush against the bottom of the screen and it makes the whole panel a bit more low-profile. The cannons are a nice artistic touch, so I am fine seeing those. If you really wanted to be minimalist, putting the cannon reload discs inside the outline of the deck would condense it even more.

I know some want to see a UI that's more antique or period looking, but the sleek and minimal (if not modern) UI is pleasing to the eye and blends in well with the sea and sky. You can both quickly grab information from it and subconsciously forget it's there when you get focused on ships. It's a way of going into cinematic mode without having to disable the UI!

• Like 1

I really like the "packed up" look you suggested, Count Maurice Benyovszky.

The only thing I might change about it would be to put the crew/sails and damage stats down on either end, so they're flush against the bottom of the screen and it makes the whole panel a bit more low-profile. The cannons are a nice artistic touch, so I am fine seeing those. If you really wanted to be minimalist, putting the cannon reload discs inside the outline of the deck would condense it even more.

I know some want to see a UI that's more antique or period looking, but the sleek and minimal (if not modern) UI is pleasing to the eye and blends in well with the sea and sky. You can both quickly grab information from it and subconsciously forget it's there when you get focused on ships. It's a way of going into cinematic mode without having to disable the UI!

I agree, that is really easy on the eyes and shows much more of the screen.

Also having it bottom center is the best place, nothing but water there in most cases anyways.

Edited by Remo

Also having it bottom center is the best place, nothing but water there in most cases anyways.

Also a very good point. A bonus is that for those with large or multiple screens, everything would be right there for them... except for the compass.

If you wanted to get really slick with this, you could actually put the wind direction, yards, and compass bearing into the center too. The wind direction could easily be overlaid onto the ship outline (perhaps only visible on the outside so it isn't cluttering what's already inside). The yards/boom could be arranged to neatly overlay the armor in a subtly contrasting color or shade that's not too overbearing (and this is where removing the little cannons would de-clutter the interior). As for the compass bearing, that could literally be an arc above the ship that sort of frames the whole display, showing the 100-120 degrees off the bow. It could be slightly disorienting for some who might see it as the degrees off the port side, but I'd like to think that most looking at it would understand that the center of the arc us where the bow is pointed.

Edited by Van Valkenburg

I do not like the UI ideas shown here. Remember this is not WOT or WoWS and do not take ideas from there. The UI has to stay simple and no extra info should be given. Part of the game idea is to learn to sail a ship and look for wind directions etc. 

i think optional or flexible ui should be a possible goal, perhaps like a more minimalist ui and a more expanded one with limited customization. obviously nothing top priority but maybe just an idea for the future since a lot of people are picky about how they like their ui.

Love the look, good job on the UI, the only thing that i would like to say is about he sail drop amount, Id like to see the "full sail", "battle", "full stop", etc instead of just a percentage. I think seeing that vs a percentage it the realism, i don't know about anyone else but i got this game because i love to sail and i love this time period of ships and using the proper terminology was a big part of the enjoyment, learning the lingo of sailors. same thing with controlling the individual masts that make this game so much better than any other game of this style.

• Like 1

-In interpretation (education, not linguistics) and visual displays, we have something called the rule of 3rds.  1/3rd should be imagery.  1/3rd should be text.  1/3rd should be blank.  Now, obviously when talking about games and HUD's (for what it is) this changes a good bit, but you can use this to practical advantage to avoid going too minimal or too excessive.  And to explain these thirds, research shows this is roughly the most optimal for providing the most information without overloading the user or boring them/intimidating them away.

-As a side note, I'd still like to see the bearings on the compass.  Being able to say to a group "ship at 20 degrees far" is extremely handy in a large fight where one ship tries to slink away and they're just a faint outline on the horizon.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the crew swapping features are in can we do 2 things.....make it so we can set the minimum amount of people we want on a service while activated.  have the hotkeys rebindable.

Example.... I have 200 crew,  sailing has 65 max.  and guns has 175 max.......  if both are activated i wasnt to be able to set sailing to have max and guns to have the left overs.  if i have the sailing turned off i want it to drop to a set amount too.   I should be able to toggle it 3 times too really...  Off Mix & Max.    another option would be to remove the buttons and have sliders for each service and a button o the side of it with "focus"  on it so you can set that to 100% immediately....I suggest percentages but displaying # of crew.

Rebinding the keys is also important because now we are toggling on and off 6 and 7 a lot in smaller ships so having the ability to set it to a better key is good. 

Consider changing  the 1-4 key  ammo choice so it toggles rather pops up a sub menu that locks UI.

Add Clan tags to player names in all instances of player name....you should be able to just concatenate the guild tag and player name on each UI load up easily enough.

Can you also make the reported which now displays hits to hull/sail/crew also put that info in the Ctrl-L screen

In port...

I'd like it like Captains desk in his coach cabin at the back of the ship surrounded by ledgers and books, like a background...

winchester_railways_by_liebatron-d55mwpy

Remember Rail Road tycoon with ledgers and books...But with more of a Naval Captains desk etc.

473154465.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=62CA8

Everything was written in ledgers back then, so some nice "font's" and a nice style would make a nice tone to the game, very in keeping. 

Font's like this...        181253.gif           

Candlescript.jpg

Maybe 5 or 6 back ground interiors, so one for cutters and sloops etc (small and spartan), getting progressively grander until you get like a Victory sized Cabin!

Victory,,,

picresized_th_1404213010_Victory_0076.jp

Smaller ships.

tumblr_mxbm32xKCj1ru6r9jo3_r3_500.gif

Simple icons with an elegant Font, would work. 

Edited by mwnciboo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A modified screenshot I took the other day...

Test_UI.jpg

A good effort mate, but there is a vital flaw in your background.

Firstly, the ships would never get that close to a jetty, the jetty was only used for the ships' boats. Ships would be anchored in the harbor.

Secondly, your scale is completely wrong. Unless that ship was a cutter, which it is not, it is a Belle Poulle. Look at the size of the guns compared to the size of the barrel standing next to them on the jetty.