Game-Labs Forum

User Interface Ideas (Updated 3.20.15)

Best is to provide user with a suggested setup for how the developer sees the best experience (usually based on studying things like this forum) and also allow the user  to enable - disable, lock - unlock, and move their UI as they please.

My first move for such scenario will be shrinking  "your" wind/compass rose and moving radar/minimap directly under it

Something like this:

fck3gz.jpg

+ alarm color for external circle if another ship is invading my "personal space" (collision course/range).

Edited by PrezesOi
  • Like 2

I don't know.  I like the minimalist ui.  We don't need ornaments on the ai, they just cover up the view of the landscape and ships, and I'd rather look at what game labs has created in the world instead of a fancy ui.

Definitely.  The ornamental look is good for lobbies and menus, but not for the information displays.  Sparse lines, sans serif fonts, bold colors are much better.   Especially with older eyes...  like this:

UISuggestion.png

Other things I would like (don't forget adjustments for colorblind mode)

1. Yellow to indicate "Manual Trim", white for "Auto Trim", or auto-skipper

2. Distinct color for enemy ships in mini-map (a real captain would have a good situational awareness without having to turn around to look, so I don't think this adds unrealistic data.  If the ship is unknown, leave it white).   Leave my ship as an outline.

3. Larger heading indicator

4. Larger rudder indicator

5. Yellow for above-water leaks, red for below waterline.

6. Maybe move the clock.

Edited by Lt. Obiquiet
  • Like 2

Would like to discuss couple of changes we are thinking about. 

1) We want to reduce the number of buttons:

For example.. currently there are 4 buttons offer reload (1 2 3 4). What we can do is this.. replace it with one button (guns - press 1)  it will bring up a separate screen with detailed gunnery management. with clicks and drop down ammo selections + deck locks (that are done by f1 -f4).. this will free up some space + free up 7 buttons. You will still be able to press buttons consequentially if you need.. for example.. Press 1 for gun interface press 1 for gun deck press 3 for chain which automatically close the window (1-1-3).  On the other hand it is a popup and might get annoying if you switch ammo often. 

The gunnery is a tough one.  I don't envy you having to design for this.

I like the "1-1-3" type sequences better than the pop-ups idea.    Instead, you could have a hybrid display section at the bottom, as shown here.  

* Gun loading commands should affect reloading AFTER the next shot is fired.  Captains have to give a separate, subsequent command to fire the guns and cause a reload.  

* Choosing both sides should be one key, so it takes no more time than choosing one side.
* Choosing all decks should be one key, so it takes no more time than choosing one deck.

In this concept, the "R" key brings up the reload display, then the sequences are 2-3, etc.
* The menus show all options until you choose one, then the menu shrinks down to one line, and the next set of options appears
* This 'breadcrumb" trail would stay visible for a short time as confirmation.  "Reload > Doubles > Port > Deck 3"
* A gun load order is cancelled if not completed; e.g. abandoning an order after the first key or second key cancels it after a short delay with no further action
* If a ship or fore/aft has only one deck, the last menu isn't shown

* Sequence of commands is shown here is opposite order of what we have now (shot type first, then which guns to load)
     This is just my preference; it could be either way.

ImprovedUIgun1.png

ImprovedUIgun2.png

ImprovedUIgun3.png
Edited by Lt. Obiquiet

I like a lot of the ideas above, but I have a Radical idea, and shot me down in flames. I alway find it better to start from the ground up.

Why not just get rid of the UI other than chat. So for example:

- call up the compass ala the telescope

- judge enemy's from the colours they fly

- Judge the condition of the ships from damage and list etc,

- listen to the bosom calls for reload or go into gunner mode.

Granted, This would however make the game pretty unforgiving.

• Like 1

I like a lot of the ideas above, but I have a Radical idea, and shot me down in flames. I alway find it better to start from the ground up.

Why not just get rid of the UI other than chat. So for example:

1 call up the compass ala the telescope

2 judge enemy's from the colours they fly

3 listen to the bosom calls for reload or go into gunner mode.

4 Judge the condition of the ships from damage and list etc,

Granted, This would however make the game pretty unforgiving.

Many would agree with that (me being one of them) and there are also threads about most of the above too if you want to express your opinion there too.

I think "Judge the condition of the ships from damage and list etc" is a must. I'm not sure why or how you would have detailed information about the enemy beyond what you can discern from observing them.

I think the other points (1, 2 & 3) should be implemented but are able to be turned on or off either in the options menu or on designated key press. So the compass rose, gunnery information and player tags would either be shown or you use the visual information available instead. There would be little benefit to having the them turned on to the experienced players and it would look far better without them

That will make demasted unicorns neutral? ;)

Haha, I'd hope you would have checked his allegiances before it got to that stage... but yeah, if the information was 'toggleable' this wouldn't be a problem.

A suggestion for the armor/hull and gun damage indicator:

Single0Decker with some hull damage:

DamageIndicatorSingleDeck.png

Triple-Decker with hull and gun damage:

DamageIndicator.png

Essentials:

1. Armor damage is shown as thinning and/or breaks in the ship outline.

2. Gun damage is shown by removing the gun's square.

Yes, it is a lot of squares (27 x 3 decks x 2 sides in this example), but it does show which guns are damaged.  

I like that the overall damage state is evident in the density of dots and lines remaining.

I thought about showing reloading progress too, perhaps by coloring or filling up the dots, but that seems too much information for a display like this.   The count down clock we have now works well.

• Like 5

I'm all for a minimalist UI due to immersion purposes. Anything to reduce clutter and unnecessary 2d art work.

The transparent options are good but they could be even smaller or made more inconspicuous

I don't know.  I like the minimalist ui.  We don't need ornaments on the ai, they just cover up the view of the landscape and ships, and I'd rather look at what game labs has created in the world instead of a fancy ui.

Exactly! We should be enjoying the game and graphics instead of 2d menus.

Trying to keep the UI as minimal as possible while providing you all the necessary pieces to your ship. So, hopefully as I hack away at this it gets better each revision. 

I feel the screen might look more convoluted when everything is fully active, but in normal standards is fairly minimal. 

yes! I think you could minimize or come up with a way to reduce the amount of boxes at the bottom of the screen.

A suggestion for the armor/hull and gun damage indicator:

Single0Decker with some hull damage:

DamageIndicatorSingleDeck.png

Triple-Decker with hull and gun damage:

DamageIndicator.png

Essentials:

1. Armor damage is shown as thinning and/or breaks in the ship outline.

2. Gun damage is shown by removing the gun's square.

Yes, it is a lot of squares (27 x 3 decks x 2 sides in this example), but it does show which guns are damaged.  

I like that the overall damage state is evident in the density of dots and lines remaining.

I thought about showing reloading progress too, perhaps by coloring or filling up the dots, but that seems too much information for a display like this.   The count down clock we have now works well.

I respectfully disagree, because how would we know this in real life? It should be up to the player to know how much damage he hast taken. This game should not mimic War Thunder or World of Tanks in any way.

You can also put in the HP bars for the ship insted of them being in the top left 

aCU6RDZ.png

No way... If this game is to be taken seriously it should not be based on an HP system wth

Edited by JackFreedom
  • Like 1

I respectfully disagree, because how would we know this in real life? It should be up to the player to know how much damage he hast taken. This game should not mimic War Thunder or World of Tanks in any way.

LOL, I was thinking the opposite -- that a captain would know this information... the UI is just a way to convey it without annoying, repetitive spoken recordings of a fake crew and to compensate for the limits of flat-screen perception.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

No way... If this game is to be taken seriously it should not be based on an HP system wth

I dont know if you have played the game yet or dindt know, but there is already a HP system in the game, and people who play it still take it "seriously"

in the top left conor there is Hp bars showing each side of the ships and how much damage they have taken.

63BncuL.jpg

Py0fCBi.png <------ its this one if you are still confused

I just suggest that the devs minimize the space there things use,

and the cannon decks to make more room for enyoing the game. By commbineing they into this a small but easy to use ship menu in the conor.

That have the same cooldown system as the one we use now, but shows the cannons deck like this

cvkZyE9.png  The highest is front cannons, and side is from top to buttom showing the side deck from form top to buttom making easier to use that the way its visualize now, and that lowest in the back cannons.

The last picture show how much space this would save, so we could enjoy the battle more, without all these thing taken up the screen

And personally thinks its a more user friendly  :)

vhz2jG7.jpg

Edited by mortenlnielsen
  • Like 4

Lots of good text and images

May i suggest adding an outer ring on the compass to show direction of nearby shallow areas?

post-818-0-28145100-1430624593_thumb.jpg

My example, Shallow areas sighted on the front port side of the ship.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It has been worrying me that I can't tell how old an entry in the chat system is. Was it just typed or has it been sitting there since I went into the last instants. The solution would be the addition of a time stamp which is nice and easy on the face of it. Until you consider what time notation you would use, GMT? or an ingame date and time system that can also be used for navigation and planning combined operations. Your thoughts?

It has been worrying me that I can't tell how old an entry in the chat system is. Was it just typed or has it been sitting there since I went into the last instants. The solution would be the addition of a time stamp which is nice and easy on the face of it. Until you consider what time notation you would use, GMT? or an ingame date and time system that can also be used for navigation and planning combined operations. Your thoughts?

How about   "14 min ago" - "12 min ago" - "6 min ago" ------ any older than 1/2 hour could then revert to "archive"?

There would be some overhead updating - but it would be very clear to the players.

• Like 1

I would like the ship moved down in the display to show more ocean where it counts - where the prey is (and the threats as well) like this:

Currently:

lower1.jpg

My proposal:

lower2.jpg

Sorry about the quickie photoshoping

OR; perhaps the distance from the ship of my viewpoint can be increased ......

• Like 4

This is personal but if I could ask for Human and non human (cyborg) players names to be in diferent colors or colours in battles like they are diferent force friend and foe.

Thanks to consider this it  should be a great help.

Edited by Tryite

• 4 weeks later...

This design is too modern. It feels like I am in a modern naval game. The concept looks good and I like it, but doesn't represent the age of sail at all. Can you try to add ornaments around buttons? Just my review.

example:

pwSRKKu.jpg

On the fancy vs modern Ui style, I tottaly agree that the game deserves a more oldstyle UI, but I think that that can be done in a simplistic way, using the same color scheme that we have now, but with old typefaces and some more 18th centurish forms and details... the example shown above looks to fancy, time consuming to make, and visually poluted...

I'll try to make some drafts on what I imagine would serve the game well, and then I'll post here for you guys...

There we go, just a little example of what I'm thinking about:

Same general concept and color scheme that we already gave, but with some fancy bits and letters... Use this as a template to imagine the rest of the general UI

post-9231-0-26529700-1436471185.jpg

Edited by felelo

• 4 weeks later...