Game-Labs Forum

Privateer stern.

nornica

Just small topic.

Why Privateer have open cannon windows on stern? If there are no cannons there at all? It is pretty silly to open "windows" in the battle. It's pretty silly to open them anytime without any cannons at all.

Or maybe they are a toilet windows, then it's ok for me. :P

I was full health, like 10 minutes in a battle. Trying to stern camp Vic.
Broad reaching, and suddenly i fell between two big waves, or something like that, and pop I'm ded ;p That was a fast battle for me.. xD

But I think I was the first that this happened to, which is nice.

Edit:
It was a normal storm. :D

Edited by nornica

Because you can pull the two aft side cannons around and then run them out the back.

Since that would take the crew a lot of time to do it safely (aka the whole "loose cannon" being a bad thing), it is not something you can do in combat.

The only way I could see this is as an option in the customization of a ship.  You can either have a full broadside, or sacrifice a pair of guns and have stern chasers, done before you launch into a game.

The only reference I have to how this is done was in one of the Horatio Hornblower novels where they first lift the cannon out of it's gun truck and lower it down onto a mat, then move the gun truck to the new location, pull the cannon across the deck using block and tackle, and then hoist the cannon back into the truck after it was secured in place.  Any other technique might be too dangerous if the cannon were to roll free (they weigh quite a lot), and if it was to get loose it could go down a hatch and out the bottom, sinking the ship.  Thus, the laborious, but safe handling method of using a towing mat.

Edited by weirdguy