Game-Labs Forum

Future ships / different navies

Alright, so let me start out by saying that my english is not fantastic, and that my historical knowledge on this subject is very limited, this game have just got me hooked on the age of sail.  :D 
That said, i'd too like to praise the devs and their efforts, this could turn out to be a great game, and im enjoying the combat alot!
However i have some questions, and perhaps some of you lads can "enlighten" me. Im enjoying the current ship's available in game as of now (and im sure more are comming) but as far as i can tell, its really just alot of british and spanish ships + a few french (atleast there will be) and american. and while these powers probably were some of the largest naval powers at the time, i think it would be a shame if no love was shown to navies like the dano-norwegian, or the sweedish. These were also naval powers, and frankly i think the dano-norwegian navies had some of the most spectacular SOLS of the time. 
So let me boil it down.
Do you lads think we might in the future end up seeing some ships from this part of the world? Perhaps even some sols? Would you even want to see these ships ingame, or should we stick to the navies that have already been implemented?  ;) 

• Like 1

Dano-Nor shisp are beauty to behold but i dont know if the ships fits as the game is now or not even when it comes but later i think.

But i would love a ship from them since im norwegian myself.

I think the game would be disappointing if the Dano-Norwegian, Swedish, Russian, and Ottoman nations and their ships weren't included.  It makes for a far more diverse and interesting world considering they were major powers of the era.

Of course, one thing at a time, and if it takes time to implement that's fine.  I just hope they are included.

• Like 1

Based on the 2015 player polls, the criteria was:

1600-1830 hard limit

1690-1790 preferred

That falls in the right time-line when Danish-Norwegian Navy was very powerful, and had beautiful ships like the Dannebroge (1692 launch, blew up 1710).

The poll dates suggest that those beautiful ships have a chance.

Can anyone confirm if game design is still working with these time lines in mind?

Edited by Grim DeGrim

The best information we have is:

We definitely stop at 1820 mark yes. +-5 years.

Initial model line up range from 1680 till 1820.

Going earlier than that might make line battles look strange (with old galleons alongside modern 2nd rates)

In the Player selected ship 2015 - Suggestions-thread, @admin mentioned:

1600-1830 hard limit

1690-1790 preferred

And many feel that 1830 is stretching it.

Ships currently confirmed to be in the game range from 1715 (Ингерманланд/Ingermanland) to 1820 (Меркурий/Mercury).

Hope this helps,

~Brigand

Let us please not forget the Dutch Republic even when they were in a decline during this time, they were still a naval power.

Personally I would wish myself a few ships of the German States (Brandburg/ Prussian Navy, Hanseatic Konvoischiffe, Austrian Navy,...), but only for diversity and not really as a "nation" nor with any kind of priority. But there ships are for the early time-frame, what US ships are for the later time-frame.

If you just have a look at the shipyard section there are lots and lots of dutch ships currently beeing posted.

"Sadly" the devs already have a queue of nearly 10 ships for the future. Wich means that every ship you suggest is going to be "ignored" for now.

Since the devs already did two polls for ships that the users want ingame I can see another one coming when the current queue expires.

That said it is the community's choice wich ships come in. Last poll did not help the dutch in that regard.

Russia will be represented.  We have the Ingermanland and Mercury coming soon, both Russian built ships.  The Yacht is Swedish.  Also don't forget we have the Constitution in game already and America was a very, very minor faction during this time period.   I think eventually a lot more nations will be represented but the reality is, 3D modeling these ships is a very, very resource and time intensive project so the devs can only work on a very few at a time.  Also it doesn't help that everyone seems to be fixated on British and French ships almost exclusively with Spain being the 3rd most popular.  

There is actually quite a bit of support for Danish, Dutch, Swedish and other minor nationalities but that support is scattered across all the minor nationalities so none of them can quite get enough support to push up past the British and French ships.  Unlike say a British or French ship which gets focused fired so to speak, Instead you get 20 votes for a Danish ship here, 30 votes for a Swedish ship there, 45 vote for a Dutch ship on the other side and not enough to to push just one of them into production.

The Yacht is dutch

swedish, danish, spanish and dutch ships are planned.

No, the Yacht is not Dutch. It is designed by Chapman for his Architectura Navalis Mercatoria and was never build (as far as is known), so she would be Swedish.

Dutch yachts look distinctly different.

Your own quote from the thread Royal Armed Yacht:

It's a Chapman yacht. It is done based on the charts in this book. But of course some of the artistic creativity was brought by us.

The V.O.C. ship Amsterdam is Dutch though and she will be in the game.

~Brigand

Russia will be represented.  We have the Ingermanland and Mercury coming soon, both Russian built ships.  The Yacht is Swedish.  Also don't forget we have the Constitution in game already and America was a very, very minor faction during this time period.   I think eventually a lot more nations will be represented but the reality is, 3D modeling these ships is a very, very resource and time intensive project so the devs can only work on a very few at a time.  Also it doesn't help that everyone seems to be fixated on British and French ships almost exclusively with Spain being the 3rd most popular.  

There is actually quite a bit of support for Danish, Dutch, Swedish and other minor nationalities but that support is scattered across all the minor nationalities so none of them can quite get enough support to push up past the British and French ships.  Unlike say a British or French ship which gets focused fired so to speak, Instead you get 20 votes for a Danish ship here, 30 votes for a Swedish ship there, 45 vote for a Dutch ship on the other side and not enough to to push just one of them into production.

Considering that France was the 2nd naval power at the end of the XVIIIth century and at the beginning of the XIXth century, and when looking at ships ingame, France is clearly under represented.

UK, US and Spain already have their emblematic ship, it's not the case of France. However, France situation will improve with the incoming ships and Océan's devs choice.

Spain also deserves more ships

I really hope to see other nations ships, but not at the expense of the naval power historical place.

• Like 2

Considering that France was the 2nd naval power at the end of the XVIIIth century and at the beginning of the XIXth century, and when looking at ships ingame, France is clearly under represented.

UK, US and Spain already have their emblematic ship, it's not the case of France. However, France situation will improve with the incoming ships and Océan's devs choice.

Spain also deserves more ships

I really hope to see other nations ships, but not at the expense of the naval power historical place.

The problem with "emblematic French ships" is that they also tend to be emblematic English ships a few months later.

The Surprise is actually a French ship, the Le Unité for example.

The Yacht is dutch

swedish, danish, spanish and dutch ships are planned. 

I like that sir, i welcome them very much, but there is also other nations that where powerfull, like the Portuguese, and there is no ship of this nation, nor any news about it.

I would like to ask what is the reason(s) for this nation to be excluded? we where in the peak of our power in the game period.. is it about lack of plans existing in the net or from independent people? no money to buy plans from the Portuguese Maritime Museum? Lack of knowledge regarding Portugal, and other nations? and im not biased, i would play with all ships

Edited by ArlindoBerto

I like that sir, i welcome them very much, but there is also other nations that where powerfull, like the Portuguese, and there is no ship of this nation, nor any news about it.

I would like to ask what is the reason(s) for this nation to be excluded? we where in the peak of our power in the game period.. is it about lack of plans existing in the net or from independent people? no money to buy plans from the Portuguese Maritime Museum? Lack of knowledge regarding Portugal, and other nations? Bias from certain devs? im not provoking nor i want to start a flame war, it simply might be possible and you should fight it, if it exists off course, and im not biased, i would play with all ships

That's highly accusatory.  I would edit the post to be more civil in your questions.  Alas, I'm sure there's no specific oversight on Portugal.  There's lots of nations that deserve to be included that aren't yet.  It's simply a matter of time and resources for a small dev team.

I would like to see Portugal in game.  Also, Venice should be in game.  Both haven't been mentioned really, but had very good navies in the era.  I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  Stay positive. ;)

We are all proud of our historical Navy and yes the more prominant ships from the later era nearer to battle of trafalgar were bound to receive higher profiles which leads to them being in game earlier, however I am sure that eventually even after first full release we will see additional ships making it into the game.

Remember that as far as we know, all players will have access during game play to all ship types regardless of their player allegience

Maybe later in the game it would be nice to have some Asian ships of the age of "Zheng He"

Yes it was around 1400+ but ships like the Chinese Junk´s or the big treasure ships are realy nice

and at the end it will be a Game

Would be fun to Raid or Proteckt this Treasure ships of your clan or something.

Zheng He

Zheng He's Treasure ship

The problem with "emblematic French ships" is that they also tend to be emblematic English ships a few months later.

The Surprise is actually a French ship, the Le Unité for example.

True.

This is another excellent reason to make more french ship such as the Téméraire, cause while making a french ship, you also make an english ship.

It would kill 2 birds with one stone. ;)

Maybe later in the game it would be nice to have some Asian ships of the age of "Zheng He"

Yes it was around 1400+ but ships like the Chinese Junk´s or the big treasure ships are realy nice

and at the end it will be a Game

Would be fun to Raid or Proteckt this Treasure ships of your clan or something.

I like the chinese treasure fleets ships or the roman triremes, but there is no place for such ships in NA.

Even if it's a game, NA must show a minimum of coherence.

I  don't even know how they will mix ships of the end of XVIIth century and ships of the beginning of the XIXth century.

Edited by Dagann

• 2 weeks later...

Dano-Nor shisp are beauty to behold but i dont know if the ships fits as the game is now or not even when it comes but later i think.

But i would love a ship from them since im norwegian myself.

I was hoping to sail under the Dano-Nor. My wife's grandparents were Danish so I thought it might be a change from the typical english or american I usually play.