Game-Labs Forum

Dumping guns overboard to increase speed

It was not uncommon for smaller ships being chased to dump some or all of their guns to lighten the ship to go faster. I don't know what the differential should be but when a large ugly frigate is bearing down on your brig a few extra kt s can make all the difference.

So perhaps there should be a mech for dumping guns in the open world?

• Like 3

Guns, cargo and whatever would lighten the load. It would be nice to see some option of this in the game where a merchantman for instance is forced to choose whether to run the risk of losing just some or all of their cargo. Not that dumping guns or cargo would be a guarantee of escape though. 

The real question would be as to how they would implement it. What sort of design would you like to see in order to dump certain items whether it be cannons, cargo or loot overboard? (I know for certain that I do not want a dump guns icon like potbs).

The real question would be as to how they would implement it. What sort of design would you like to see in order to dump certain items whether it be cannons, cargo or loot overboard? (I know for certain that I do not want a dump guns icon like potbs).

What is wrong with an icon or even a drop down menus allowing you to chose what to drop?  I mean it is a game after all and some things have to be made rather simple to keep the game moving along.  Also ask yourself this, what would an actual Captain do if he wanted to dump cargo or guns?  Yep...he would yell out loudly, "DUMP GUNS AND CARGO!!!!" and his crew would dump the guns and cargo.  Not much else to it so I don't see how clicking an icon is in less involved than yelling out an order.

Nothing wrong with a drop down menu however if it is just a button like in potbs where you say dispose of 20% of your guns then you cannot specify what you want to drop unless of course that button opens up the drop down menu where you can say what you want to get rid of. I suppose I meant the button should not come along with a standalone figure to drop like it is in PotBS.

I would rather be able to specify what I wanted to get rid of whether it be livestock, cannons, cargo and I would also like to say how much.

the penalties for this must be severe. Otherwise i can see that unless we have better wind mechanics there is no tactic the aggresor could use to catch merchants who are willing to dump and weight like guns han solo style. Its going to happen every time like some kind of sop.

• Like 1

The penalties are the loss of your guns.

I don't really see a problem with defenseless merchants not getting ganked. Especially when they might get captured by the next cutter that comes along afterwards, and not have enough water to reach their destination.

Well the balance could simply be the load its carrying, assuming that the load will have an effect on the merchantman's speed to begin with. Dumping guns should only work when the aggressor is barely making progress. It shouldn't change your slow fat merchantman into a racing yacht.