Game-Labs Forum

3D Modeling Tutorials.

reilly874

Well of course a ship from the right period, low poly count. From what i can remeber 24k for medium size ship, like frigate. But please ask around because i dont know for sure.

The whole ship, without interior and sails and such. Also only the transom structure should be modelled for example, so no decorations whatsoever. The impact on the poly count would be extreme of you should do that.

Specific ship in mind?

its 26k tris for a small vessel (cutter to small frig)

then 40k for a medium sized ship (I think up to a big frigate like consti)

and last but not least you may spend 50k tris on a ship of the line kind of size ;) But 50k is the hard limit I believe

This is not official, its just what I know myself from a semi-official source (if that spreadsheet is considerd official so is my source)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy 3d artists,

I'm also trying to make some shipmodel in Blender3d, it has been 10 years ago that I worked with the program. After buyin naval actionI read this topic which turned me on again to do something in Blender again.

I'm a bit familiar to this ship as my re-enactment group represents it's marines/naval soldiers. For this, i decided to try to build a dutch Frigate called 'Delft' which sunk after the Battle of Camperdown in 1797. I poses some blueprints of the ship which are a bit big to scan or copy for the internet. These blueprints where attached to a book about the ship. The ship is being rebuild in Rotterdam (The Netherlands). For copyright reasons to the shipyard and the shipmodeler who made the blueprints i can't post the drawings itself.

The ship in question:  Note, the Chaloupe in front is a real replica.

7_s.png

I started first to begin with vertex frames which i connected with eachother to make faces.

12510229_966297640091958_976825564369639

As the result looked like a '.....' i decided to try this with Bezier curves. At that moment i didn't read above posts about Nurbs-Curve so I had to start all over again :P.

12540826_972220352833020_725805915148212

Here is a little result of my progress which i made with Nurbs-Curve. I had no experience with this so I learn something as well :).

12647279_976860892368966_614106403422208

Regards,

Stephan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Result of a few days later :), and i've also a question to the more experienced ship modelers amongst us. As mentioned i builded the hull with nurbs but i want to make the portholes without converting the object to vertices, is there a way to do this? As far as I know, i need to convert the object to vertices to cut it in :S. The 'Berghouten' (I'm a dutchmen myself so forgive my english but i mean the thicker stuff on the hull ;) ) are seperated from the hull. 

Other question: Textures or materials?

12661792_981351271919928_495071647574503

12508741_981351278586594_332920575417081

• Like 1

If you intent to submit that ship to be added to the game, be mindfull that the trin count should not exceed the 26k~ triangles. ;)

Sorry, 26k stands for? I didn't want to try this for the game in the first place, but more for a 3d print. If it can be done to get it in the game than offcourse it would be an honor (if the model isn't ugly whaha). Though, I still have to learn to get it textured etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like a good start indeed however I think your smoothing groups are wrong which causes the black spots.

Also for a first ship this is gonna be nearly impossible to model if you are new to it. I'd suggest you start out with something like a smaller frigate first.

You have to learn what every part of the ship should look like and with the 7 prov there just are too many details to start with.

I've started out with a rather difficult ship as well and it didn't look anything like a real ship haha I'll show you.

You see how bad that looks :D
The stern and bow are completely out of proportions.
But I've improved so far and this is my latest model

As you can see this looks more like a real ship.
Getting the shape of the stern and bow right is really difficult for these ships, looking at a lot of reference images helps though.
I hope I haven't demotivated you as shipbuilding is really fun to do.
Good luck with your model, I'll be waiting for some more pics hehe

Yes.. Same with me.  First I was try to make Prince. And started 3 times only with hull. After I started a corvette Olivuzza. You can see it in post

Edited by Raymond De Payence

Result of a few days later :), and i've also a question to the more experienced ship modelers amongst us. As mentioned i builded the hull with nurbs but i want to make the portholes without converting the object to vertices, is there a way to do this? As far as I know, i need to convert the object to vertices to cut it in :S. The 'Berghouten' (I'm a dutchmen myself so forgive my english but i mean the thicker stuff on the hull ;) ) are seperated from the hull. 

Other question: Textures or materials?

12661792_981351271919928_495071647574503

12508741_981351278586594_332920575417081

Also was thinking what to use. Decidet to use textures with 3Dcoat improve. But its coast lots of resurses.

• 2 months later...

Gotta say as of late I've been considering giving 3d modeling a go.  Downloaded Blender and ready to make my fingers bleed.  I'm going to take prior advice and work on a smaller ship until my feet are properly wet.  The question is, Spanish or American (I'm eventually aiming for a larger ship project, and there are several from both nations that appeal)?

Gotta say as of late I've been considering giving 3d modeling a go.  Downloaded Blender and ready to make my fingers bleed.  I'm going to take prior advice and work on a smaller ship until my feet are properly wet.  The question is, Spanish or American (I'm eventually aiming for a larger ship project, and there are several from both nations that appeal)?

Because there are a lot of American ships in game at the moment compared to the Spanish, my vote would be for a Spanish ship.

I would be open to a Spanish frigate or corvette. If you have any ideas, send me a pm with the plans and info I would need, or a link to the page. As for lineship projects, I'll be looking at the following:

Portugal: Principe Real

Spain: Princesá

USA: America or the 1799 plan

That decision doesn't need to be made now of course, but those are what I'm considering atm

maybe you want to have a look at this ship here:

Spanish Frigate

22 Canons 

cKwQ0NT.jpg?1

rCE1KjM.jpg?1

c45V0Bj.jpg?1

Its a 22 guns, 16 swivels frigate which however more likely refers to be a corvette. (maybe the spanish didnt have the term corvette like the british didnt have ith either. I think its a french "invention"

Shpqright appears to be Jorge Juan.

The ship itself beeing the Perla

The plans should be adequate and you have lots of views which make modeling so much easier.

About SoLs.. They are a pain n the butt. Starting over fom zero you might be better off modeling something smaller scaled :)

edit: also look at that:

Thank you to Mr. Mirones and the others how download this plans for Spanish Ships.

kgofVE2.jpgThank you !!  You have download many Spanish ships , I have more information about Spanish Light Frigate 22-24 guns.

Name  Sta. Bárbara,  22.  (sistema Jorge Juan)

Esta pequeña fragata de 24 cañones, botada en Guarnizo en 1768, fue la cuarta que llevó este nombre en la Real Armada. Su vida operativa es digna de mención pues fue una de las unidades más agresivas y exitosas que enarbolaron el pabellón real durante las guerras contra Inglaterra a lo largo del S.XVIII.

Un vez rotas las hostilidades con la Gran Bretaña en 1779, en apoyo a los insurgentes de las trece colonias de Norte América, se aprestó la “Santa Bárbara” para misiones de patrulla y acoso a las unidades enemigas en elEstrecho de Gibraltar, desde su base en Cádiz. Así las cosas, el 26 de septiembre de 1780, la “Santa Bárbara” junto con la “Asunción”, se estrenó apresando una fragata y una urca que habían zarpado del peñón con destino a Inglaterra.

q92msIP.jpgM5RMUuf.jpgG793ISa.jpg

I am not sure about this user's name guesing tho.

The plans clearly show the shipwrights name. And he never did another 22 gun ship

A Jorge Juan frigate would be nice, especially after reading on his influence on the Spanish Navy :)

Thanks Talos for that, I will be looking at those plans you posted.

As a relative newbie to this, any and all tips and aid is appreciated.

My problem is I can't find them in my directory. I also don't know how to align them so the ship can take proper form. Wind's tutorial posts are no dialogue and speed form, so I can't follow them.

Edit: So my problem was that the images wouldn't show up as long as I had them in My Documents.  When I created a new folder on my desktop and sent the images there, they popped up in Blender.  Initial frustration levels down to 0% :D

Edited by Haratik

• 6 months later...

Months later (sorry guys) the Delft looks like this. Though job as i'm not an professional in 3d models. 

The model has been made via drawings of it's original builder (Pieter van Zwijndrecht) in 1782, that i got form the Shipyard which builds a Replica in Rotterdam (the Netherlands).

Still need to do a lot of sculpting, textures, and down size the Tris, if this needs to be game proof. Afterall the model was first ment for 3d print (wich will be done soon).

14711110_1145538142167906_84879576692882

10520596_1177508758970844_70570322448234

15403690_1205607676160952_69771451220051

15443172_1205607656160954_51074136612196

Any tips advice are welcome ;)

• Like 7