Game-Labs Forum

Toxic online behaviour

Brigand

Sir, links to "liberty" and "freedom" (and I am an ardent patriot and proponent of Liberty myself), are out of place here.  This is Admin's private home.  One may not enter a person's private property and, while abusing their hospitality, crow about liberty and freedom, and tell the host that the rules in their home are null and void because the guest has rights.  Admin has stated his terms for usage of the forums and the game.  It is incumbent on those who wish to play Admin's game, and frequent Admin's forums to follow Admin's rules.

TLDR (and in more modern speech):  This is not a government web site.  The 1st Amendment, etc. do not apply here.  Please follow Admin's rules for the game and forum or you'll have a very short stay (you'll be silenced).   ;)  Thank you.

With regards to in-game behavior.  Yes, people are annoying sometimes.  The Developers have been extremely responsive in incorporating game mechanics to limit behavior that they find unacceptable.  In the case of damage farming, there has been an unequivocal statement that one should fight their ship and not sit idly by to let others get "free" damage.

My sincere apologies for what ever I have done to offend you. I have removed the reference to Taber Alberta and the recent law regading swearing . I ment it only in it reference to the prohibition to profanity not the content of liberty. I do not understand what rules I have contravened in my post. The previous discussion ( as referenced in my post above) seem to illuminate the rules here. I am out of my depth and thoroughly confused .

My sincere apologies for what ever I have done to offend you. I have removed the reference to Taber Alberta and the recent law regading swearing . I ment it only in it reference to the prohibition to profanity not the content of liberty. I do not understand what rules I have contravened in my post. The previous discussion ( as referenced in my post above) seem to illuminate the rules here. I am out of my depth and thoroughly confused .

You've done nothing to offend me.  Actually, there is usually a person who shows up whenever the rules are being discussed that tries to bring Freedom of Speech and other politics in - I was nipping that in the bud before it began.  Your post wasn't offensive in any way.  The post bordered on politics, which is forbidden, however, if you'd like to summarize the attempt and effects of what happened we can discuss that.

In effect, the occasional word will slip out, it's when it becomes a habit, or escalates into a series of back and forth cursing that it begins to become a problem.  Mostly, people grossly abusing the rule get a warning, I only know of one ban to date (and that was extremely excessive).  Admin understands in the heat of the moment something might slip out, it's when every moment is the heat of the moment, and a Captain complains about it, that action might be taken.

• 2 weeks later...

(...)So, the question of where to start has already been answered, the actual big question is: will you join in? Or will you let others do the fighting?

~Brigand

Saying "yes" is only a 1st step, that can lead to nothing but hopes...

There is a http://ashleywolff.org)

• Like 1

The "swear" words used have changed significantly over the years.  The f-bomb dropping sailor is more a product of the 20th Century compared to to the "salty" language of an 18th Century Jack.

but even more importantly is the context with which the "swearing" is used. If it was used as an expression without malice then it should be allowed. Not everything is black and white.

I have to admit, more than once I have been part of a swarm of yachts that displayed "threatening behaviors" towards others :ph34r:

oh my

Edited by Jack Freedom

but even more importantly is the context with which the "swearing" is used. If it was used as an expression without malice then it should be allowed. Not everything is black and white.

Of course, and the rules allow you to swear at the weather, your main mast, curse the cannonballs, rail at life.  Telling someone else to f***ing uninstall you s*** b**** mother f***er we can do without.  Even if your commanding officer in the modern navy used to greet you with that every morning.  :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I'm not the type to brag, but when i play a game, i intend to have good fun. i had an excellent time, until today. 

Here's the situation. I log in, and sail from Fort Royal (french capital) in my Basic Lynx (i wanted to explore new corners of the map, so i let my brigs in port)

in the help chat, a french player is complaining that a Swedish Trinc pursued and sunk him near Fort Royal. So i start opening my eyes. All i see are a bunch of french ships, namely snows, brigs, trader's snows, an IA controlled Bellona, etc, etc...

Suddenly a wild Swedish trinc appears and targets me. Right, why not. I manage to escape this ruthless attack by MrDoran (post captain, swedish) by crossing paths with him and fleeing upwind where he can't follow with his square sails, and start to go back to port to repairs. Before i got there, the same trinc attacked me again. And again, until finally i succeeded to enter port and quit the game.

Again i can only stress the number of french ships available for the taking, all worth a lot more in gold and XP than my Lynx. But no, he targeted me only. It was the first time that such unsportsmanlike conduct happened to me. Each time i met in battle an opponent much heavier armed than me, they almost always let me flee with messages of good luck and whatnot. 

I know nothing can be done to prevent nasty behaviour like this, experienced players hunting down newbies to feast on their tears, but i'd still like to file a complain against this swedish player, who harassed me in such a manner. Believe me there's nothing more unpleasant than having one hour to play and spend all that time running from a much heavier ship, in a straight line, repairing sails every 5 minuts to keep the speed up. Not my definition of fun at all.

Hope my text is clear, my english is a little rusty nowadays.

Thibaud

P.S.: For some reason the forum thread concerning bad behaviour in OW is closed, so i file my complain here. 

Edited by tibozeboss
  • Like 1

Oh hi,

welcome to Mr Dorans world.

He tried to gank me (in a Surprise back then), too. I in a privateer. He costed me 1 hour of my life.

And we two are not alone. He does it with everyone he sees. No matter if he can catch up or not. Bevore the matches I made sure to be downwind to him and still he insisted on attacking me. Weird behavior imo. waste of time.

Mr Doran is famous for this actions and many players went ahead and ganked him instead.

Rigt now there are no rules wich prohibits such behavior.

We can only apply to the manners of the players and hope that such players are the minority.

regards,

Bungee

• Like 4

In the era we are attempting to emulate with this diversion: love was love, money was money - but: HONOR was SACRED.

Many men in the era would sacrifice everything (even their life) for their HONOR.

My $.02 is that it lacks HONOR to attack a human player in any ship more than two (2) steps below yours, or to attack any individual human in a pack.

NPC's are fair game after all - target practice if nothing else.

---

Yesterday, I think I scared the crap out of a newer player (or new alt?) - a Midshipman in a Lynx - I came out of port in my Surprise right on top of him and as he sailed downwind I took off downwind as well, he juked and jinked and finally ran aground trying to "get away" from me - I just sailed by and on downwind (wondering what he was worried about).

He'll learn Surprises "prefer" downwind, and I have no reason at all to send him back to his home port ;)

• Like 3

The question of "toxic" language is a dicey subject to say the least.  However, when one remembers you have to make the conscious decision to actually type said language, "toxic" language loses its aura of a "heat of the moment" exclamation.  There is no need for "adult" language unless you are joshing in chat with your mates, otherwise leave it in the room you are playing in.

• Like 2

Attacking enemy players is a valid mechanic and is not considered toxic behavior.

For example during the glorious first of June events

Vanstabel convoy 170 - ships captured 40 british prizes on its way to France. You might consider it a realistic mega gank fleet.

Howe fleet also captured a lot of smaller vessels, including unarmed traders with no combat experience.

During napoleonic wars a lot of frigate captains received promotions for capturing multiple smaller prizes.

That small vessel could be carrying precious exceptional frigate drawings or repairs for a damaged fleet which will later sink you. Delaying it might help you defend a port. But at this stage there is no cargo and attacking a lynx gives no rewards to high level players. The reward is the fact of catching and sinking someone, and apparently it is good enough for some.

BUT if the player is griefing then it is bad and should be reported.

As far as I remember no ship can catch a Lynx in instance. Ow curves are getting fixed this patch.

• Like 2

I don't think we are trying to emulate the blood and gore of the era - so much as the "feel" of the swashbuckling and the joy of a "good" fight.

In Sea Trials for example Prater sank me many times and I may have got him once or twice, but in the end we BOTH had a good time win or lose.

----

While getting jumped in OW by a Raker in a Trinc while exploring in my NavyBrig, and having him chain and chain and chain me till I couldn't get away, until he caught fire - was not "FUN" for me - at least seeing him on fire was worth the price of admission - I hope it cost him dearly to repair that.

It WAS memorable - just not FUN. I realized I consented to such when I became a Captain in NA.

IRL even attacking a small vessel carried REAL risk - it might blow up as you were boarding, it might get a well place shot off and kill you (the fictionalized Waakzaamheid comes to mind) or disable you easily - hit a mast etc.

• Like 1

I just realized what it is about the Raker's behavior I dislike - When I enter battle with a couple or three of "enemy" NPC's - I will chain one down and capture it fast, so I can have a real test of a battle with the remaining ones. So I am either gathering loot or testing battle mechanics.

If I am in a battle with a Player who paid $ for the game - I want to give him (or her) a reasonable chance to beat me, I don't think I want to treat them like I would an NPC.

I think I just resented the Raker treating me like he was "harvesting" me - with the chain shot from the front of the trinc - even though it is a legit tactic.

I think it is up to the community to police this behavior.  If a group is attacking lowbies without mercy, it is up to the community to fight back and knock them down a peg or two.  This also creates content and story for the game.  And, like the admin and many other have stated, you cannot restrict attacking small ships with big ships, otherwise people won't transport valuable items in larger ships, they will transport them in lynxes so no one but lynxes can attack them.

I say this as one of the many Lynxes who have been repeatedly attacked by a Raker (7 times in a row, aprox. 2 hours).

• Like 2

Fond memories of the days back in the early 90's when Sir Timothy John "Tim" Berners-Lee the wonderful English man gave us the ability for the internet (for free) to connected those of like mind within the gaming community, a time when meeting people from far flung places was exciting and a pleasure, where Americans first started to learn they did not invent pizza and friendliness was something you shared with your team and your enemies.

What it has devolved into, what the gaming community has sunk too is sadly a reflection of the type of people in todays world, lacking self respect and any respect for others. A breed of give me give me give me spoiled foul mouthed brats with no patience and no sense of wanting to achieve anything other than a quick fix of one upmanship by any means available fair or unfair.

I hope the community here will be mature enough and like minded enough to, as the poster says, change that attitude within this game :)

Sadly i think it is a war we may not win as those who bully and Toxify  < (real word?) seem to either out number those who don't, or seem to as they scream louder in general.

• Like 1

To conclude, i'll just remind all here the famous word of the french corsair Surcouf, while boarding a British Ship:

British captain: You french fight for money, while we fight for honour

Surcouf: We always fight for what we lack the most

Fair wind to all of you!

• Like 2

Hello everyone.

During a battle against an AI Cutter, I position myself for boarding with my Lynx. So I capture that Cutter and in the same time appeared with Mr Doran Trincomale in battle (Subject that there have no two people of the same nickname). I thought he would understand but siituation error. Some cannon shots well placed to me and ultimately my two cowls ships. I leave you to judge such behavior. I do not have a habit of complaining but frankly, it's small.

Sincerely JGdV

Sorry my english very bad

Bonjour à tous.

Au cours d'une bataille contre un Cutter AI, je me positionne pour l'abordage avec mon Lynx. Donc, je capture le Cutter et dans le même temps apparu avec MrDoran avec sa Trincomale dans la bataille (Sous réserve qu'il n'y ai pas deux personnes du même surnom). Je pensais qu'il allait comprendre la situation, mais erreur de ma part. Quelques coups de canon bien placés et finalement mes deux navires sont coulés sans que j'ai tiré un seul coup de canons contre lui.

Je vous laisse juge d'un tel comportement. Je n'ai pas l'habitude de me plaindre, mais franchement, c'est petit. 

sincèrement JGdV

Edited by Jean-Gaspard de Vence

Hello everyone.
During a battle against an AI Cutter, I position myself for boarding with my Lynx. So I capture that Cutter and in the same time appeared with Mr Doran Trincomale in battle (Subject that there have no two people of the same nickname). I thought he would understand but siituation error. Some cannon shots well placed to me and ultimately my two cowls ships A few well- placed cannon shots and ultimately my two ships are sunk without me firing a single shot against him.. I leave you to judge such behavior. I do not have a habit of complaining but frankly, it's small.
Sincerely JGdV
Sorry my english very bad

Bonjour à tous.
Au cours d'une bataille contre un Cutter AI, je me positionne pour l'abordage avec mon Lynx. Donc, je capture le Cutter et dans le même temps apparu avec MrDoran avec sa Trincomale dans la bataille (Sous réserve qu'il n'y ai pas deux personnes du même surnom). Je pensais qu'il allait comprendre la situation, mais erreur de ma part. Quelques coups de canon bien placés et finalement mes deux navires sont coulés sans que j'ai tiré un seul coup de canons contre lui.
Je vous laisse juge d'un tel comportement. Je n'ai pas l'habitude de me plaindre, mais franchement, c'est petit. 
sincèrement JGdV

I did a bit of editing to clear up the one sentence. (Je l'ai fait un peu de montage pour effacer la seule phrase.)

--------

The game mechanics would allow only two explanations for his behavior - only flags of the the two "factions" involved can "join" a battle - so:

1: He flies the same flag as you - he is a pirate - the game just doesn't recognize it since he only attacked his own team inside a battle instance (it's called teamkill).

Une: Il vole le même drapeau que vous - il est un pirate - le jeu juste ne reconnaît pas car il ne attaqué sa propre équipe dans une occurrence de bataille ( il est appelé teamkill ) .

2: He flies the same flag as the cutter you captured - just like in real life when you capture an enemy ship - it might be recaptured before it gets back to your home port, and YOU as well!

deux: Il vole le même drapeau que le navire que vous avez capturé - tout comme dans la vie réelle lorsque vous capturez un navire ennemi - il pourrait être repris avant cela nous ramène à votre port d'attache , et vous aussi!

s'il vous plaît pardonnez mon impertenance

From memory it was an English ship that I was capturing. How can a Swedish return to an Anglo-French battle? The rest does not matter too much but I would remember in the future. Sincerely JGdV

The short answer is that that isn't possible - ce n'est pas possible.  Are you absolutely sure it was an English ship and not Sverige?