Game-Labs Forum

iPad version feedback

BHunterSEAL

I haven't seen a thread devoted to this subject so I figured I'd start one to share my thoughts on the iPad version of UGG. I was a Darthmod player since it was relatively early in development for Empire and bought UGG for PC about 30 seconds after it came up on the Steam store, so you could say I'm fairly familiar with the dev's work. Keep up the great work!

General thoughts: UGG for iPad is easily the best real-time strategy game on the platform, and would probably be my favorite tablet wargame of any type if not for the appearance of Panzer Corps last year. Controls are quite smooth, and it's extremely impressive how much visual fidelity has made it into this version. I have no qualms about recommending this to any fan of the genre, although fans of the game on PC may find the campaign less engaging. 

Performance: On my third generation (circa 2012) model, performance was solid with full unit counts and corpses right up until the 5th or 6th missions of the campaign, when I had to tone down the corpse count to maintain a solid framerate in the face of huge numbers of troops on-screen. 

What's missing: Obviously, the most significant feature not to make it to the iPad port is the dynamic campaign. The campaigns are linear and losing a mission--failing to accomplish all of your objectives within the allotted time--means that it must be reattempted. Units appear to be returned to full strength between missions. Replayability is limited to selecting different difficulty levels--it's unclear which of the PC general "personalities" made it to iPad, but I found the Easy / Medium / Hard AI to be sufficiently varied and challenging.

Touch interface: Playing this on PC, it was clear that the controls would translate perfectly to iPad and I'd even go so far as to say that it plays better on this platform. Dragging orders is smooth and responsive, as is panning / zooming the map. Missing is the ability to set orientation at the end of a move (ctrl-right click on PC) for either individual units or formations; this is less critical in the tablet version, which generally focuses on smaller sections of the battle with fewer troops. The Limber/Unlimber button is useful and will hopefully make it to the PC version--definitely helpful when you need to have better control over artillery movement close to the front.

Gameplay changes: As mentioned, the iPad version is focused on smaller engagements within the overall battle. These tend to be shorter than on PC, which is beneficial given the lack of mid-mission saving. Artillery is grouped into regiment-sized units, rather than batteries: this is an extremely helpful change, as it allows for much more efficient control. It is no longer necessary to micromanage each battery to make sure it has proper LOS/LOF. Finally, there is a 'fortify' button of rather vague effect, but it appears to increase a unit's ability to stand and fight. 

I have it on iPad air and it works great. It is a lot of fun. I did notice when playing as the Union that sometimes artillery units for the Confederates will suicide themselves in frontal assaults until they are wiped out. It is perfect for touch so adapts to the iPad easily. Overall it is much better than any games I have tried from the App Store.

I have now noticed a couple of anomalies while playing the iPad version.  As follows:

-When a unit is routed, or they are in retreat and uncontrollable, they sometimes will leave the map and as such never return and the unit is lost.

-When I was defending Cemetery Hill one of my two artillery units when I would give it a direction command would just not go to the proper location and seemly advance through my line toward the enemy line.  Halt does stop them but I could never get it to go to the location of the other artillery unit. 

-Same issue 3 different brigades on this mission and one here and there on others, had difficulty getting that unit to form part of my line, so I ended up either using them as cannon fodder or in reserve.  

-On the raid mission in which the player must kill 1500 Confederates, the same issue with calvary retreating off the map.  They never returned so I had to try and complete the mission with only 2 of the remaining calvary units.

Thanks!

Edited by Deathjag

It took me many tries to advance past the kill 1500 mission. I have had brigades leave the map after being routed but I can see that happening. I have had a few problems with brigades doing their own thing but they eventually follow my orders.

@ Deathjag

If a unit loses 65% of its force, then the next time that will suffer a morale drop shall withdraw permanently from the battle.

If a unit gets repeated devastating moral drops (0%), there is a good possibility to withdraw permanently from the battle (no matter of the number of men). Try to keep your morale damaged units temporarily in safe to recover before throwing them again in the heat else you risk to get panicked and finally withdraw. 

It is not clear your problem with commanding your units, please provide more infos and if possible a screenshot.