Game-Labs Forum

Holland Trade Ship 'Heemskerck' (With plans)

Ned Loe

Note that the "waterline" of that set of plans is actually all wrong.

Most ships have a slight angle to their keel.  They sit deeper at the back by the rudder.  The artist who drew this vessel has it sitting on the keel, level, and then drew in the waterline parallel with that, which is wrong.

You can see in the internal cross section that the deck seems all wrong, but if you were to tilt it properly by about 2 degrees or so, then it works.

heksmerk_3.jpg

Edited by weirdguy
  • Like 1

This is an early 17th century design, so unfortunately prior to the time period set for NA.  Two major clues in the plans besides the hull design: she has a whipstaff for steering and has square headsails (sprit tops'l) with no jibs.

The time period for NA starts as early as 1610 if I can recall.

We definitely stop at 1820 mark yes. +-5 years.

Initial model line up range from 1680 till 1820.

Going earlier than that might make line battles look strange (with old galleons alongside modern 2nd rates)

In the Player selected ship 2015 - Suggestions-thread, @admin mentioned:

1600-1830 hard limit

1690-1790 preferred

But as of now, the earlies vessel in the list is the Ingermanland (1715).

~Brigand

Looks like the beginning time period is a moving target, but judging by the forum discussions it is trending toward 1700+

Don't get me wrong I like 17th century ships and have sailed on a replica of a Dutch ship from 1625 (and visited Bataviawerf). Just really a separate period in ship design, naval tactics, etc from what we are seeing in NA.

Are you sure about that name? I would hazard a guess that it should be "Heemskerk"?

~Brigand

The extra 'c' at a 'k' is 17th century Dutch. Just like 'ae' for 'aa' and 'uy' or 'uij' for 'ui'. Just like the ſ what's called the 'long' or 'descending' s, it looks like an f but is an s.

Long-s-US-Bill-of-Rights.jpg

A lot of that Dutch has been "streamlined" now and new rules have been made to make it more "slik", both in syntax as spelling. "Heemskerk" is the modern version of the name of the town this ship is named after. Probably Heemskerck was first Heemſkerck too.

geographical names:

Haerlem -> Haarlem

Heemskerck -> Heemskerk

Heemſtee -> Heemstede

Sneeck -> Sneek

Muijden -> Muiden

Ilſt -> IJlst

Pieterſbierum -> Pietersbierum

Schiermonnickooch -> Schiermonnikoog

Alckmaer -> Alkmaar

Enchuiſen -> Enkhuizen

language spelling:

ghedaen doer -> gedaan door (done by)

ooſt zuijdt ooſt -> oost zuid oost (east south east)

Edited by Wicked Mouse

The extra 'c' at a 'k' is 17th century Dutch. Just like 'ae' for 'aa' and 'uy' or 'uij' for 'ui'. Just like the ſ what's called the 'long' or 'descending' s, it looks like an f but is an s.

(...)

Originally, the name was a translated back from some Russian model kit, so my comment was not about Heemskerck with a c, but some completely mangled form of it, which I thought made most sense to mean Heemskerk, a guess which turned out to be correct.

The topic title has been updated since.

~Brigand