Game-Labs Forum

iPad -- save game

dstone

Seriously PLEASE add a physical save option. I was in the middle of a battle and had to just pop out of the app (I left it running in memory in the background) but when I went back to the game it restarted the battle. This is NOT acceptable in an otherwise stellar game.

Thanks,

Kevin

• Like 1

It should be worth noting that a number people on Boardgamegeek are also complaining about the lack of a in-game save. Loosing your game when you have to pause it gets old quickly and this type of negative publicity cannot but hurt sales.

• Like 1

Agreed... as noted, the lack of save game on a mobile platform is a definite flaw in Ultimate General.

MOBILE play is different from PC play where the user is stationary, the machine does not automatically kill processes, etc.  Also mobile users expect to play games in small periods of time filling the time while doing other things.  Forcing the user to commit to a 30+ minute play window is not practical and should not be done for mobile platforms.

Yes, you might get lucky and have the system keep the game in process while you switch to email or other app as is the norm for mobile users.  However, one of the rules of app development is that the Mobile OS is allowed to kill your process when it needs to and it's up to the app to persist state so it can recover when relaunched.  The user has no control of this either except to leave the app open and paused and hope that even with the screen off, the OS doesn't kill it as needed.

This is a 5 star game marred by a lack of standard mobile app performance.  Please fix this as soon as possible.

Interesting Note;  You own forum has continuously autosaved this post as I was writing it. It seems something far superior than a web forum should do the same.

• 5 weeks later...