Game-Labs Forum

Is there a manual in the ipad version

proflui

I read above in this thread that game user “proflui” asked “Where is the iPad Manual” on Feb 23, but as of today (3 days later) there has been no response from a Game Labs representative.   Given the quick responsiveness of the staff to other questions in this forum, I would think this important question also deserves prompt attention.  Perhaps Nick Thomadis can address this question…

On the other hand, REB Blunt has responded  and directed attention to his wonderful “strategy guide” (also known as a “tutorial”).  I have read that guide and find it extremely informative, and expect to refer back to it several times to absorb all the hints he offers to good gameplay.  [i will also be reading the extensive forum discussion “sticky” about Artillery!]  Unfortunately, REB Blunt’s document was written last November, three months ago, and well before the issuance of the new iPad version of UG Gettysburg.  [big shout out to REB Blunt for his detailed guide.]

Even better, I have learned from reading this forum  that an extensive game user Manual exists for UGG, but it is based specifically on the PC computer version of UGG.   I have read that version several times…BUT why doesn’t Game Labs incorporate that guide or one similar DIRECTLY into the game itself…instead of depending on customers to accidentally find it while perusing thru this forum (or did I find it via Google search for “UGG Manual?”)  It appears to be an integral part of the PC version, per the page 3 Menu graphic listing of “Guide and Tutorials,” and page 5 listing of “Online Guide.”

UG Gettysburg is obviously of extremely high quality in graphics, game design, superb collection of game features:   Hey, I read all of the publicity about UGG features at this site and that’s why I bought this state-of-the art produce one day ago.  The iPad version obviously has benefitted greatly from its PC predecessor, and based on the extensive beta tester input and already published revision to version 1.0 (after only a week of existence), this game will apparently be continue to be modified and improved in the future.  The fact that this game system has been so well supported was a big reason why I bought!

HOWEVER, the fact that the PC version has a 25 page Manual (“FM 01-01”) makes it obvious to me that the iPad version should have its own Manual, and accessible from directly within the game software.  I have already read the PC Manual several times (including before I bought this iPad game), but there are many features enumerated there that I am uncertain if they exist in the iPad version, as well as wonder what else might exist in the iPad that are not in the PC:  such as “Battle Preview…Battle Outcome” (pages 11-12 of the PC Manual), as well as the “Decision Room”).  Perhaps I will actually encounter these features during or after I complete the 4 game full campaign, but regardless, if such a Manual already existed within the game, I would enjoy reading about them as I perform my introductory playing.  I apologize in advance if these do actually appear, but I have no way of knowing at this point (only thru intro scenario 2).  Yes, I do appreciate the incremental process of learning UGG through the specific scenarios…and the very useful depictions of play in the video tutorials.   But again, why is there no built in iPad Manual?

I can only hope that Game Labs rushed the game into publication so that we could all get started as quickly as possible…BUT long term, it has to serve its customers properly, and incorporate the equivalent full game Manual directly into the iPad software.  Please respond to this lengthy inquiry and assure us that a soon-to-be-issued software update will incorporate the Manual!

Based on just one day of UGG ownership, I truly hope to find many new battles produced by Game Labs in the near future.  Of course, I also expect to read and correspond much more here, as I try and ferret out the best tips for good gameplay.

Hi -

I just bought the iPad version too and I would like to re-enforce the desire for an iPad specific manual. I have done the tutorial and I don't believe it is an adequate substitute for a manual.

Mauibob's post (above) is very clearly written and to the point; I support everything he said.  I believe that your reply to his post with "Users gave answers on questions about user manual" and a vague promise to consider doing a special manual for iPad is an inadequate response to Mauibob.  I don't have the PC version of the game, and even if I did how would I know what aspects of the iPad version are the same as the PC version?  I suggest you make an iPad version of the manual that covers the iPad game and make it accessible from withing the game.

Thank you.  It looks like a great game.

Robert

• Like 1

...and my sincere thanks to wevodaur for REINFORCING my comments (and to proflui for initiating this thread) about the need for an iPad manual. After I read sterner's initial perfunctory comment, which severely ignored most of my plea, I was upset and inclined to drop this entire effort on behalf of a manual.

Now, however, I would like to urge everyone who reads this thread to ADD your support below, and help persuade Game Labs that a built-in manual to the game software is extremely desirable ASAP (and not just something "to be considered in the future"). Thanks again to all concerned.

Special Recommendation to Game Labs: Build in a manual to all of your future games...and earn the thanks of all those future customers!

Thank you for re-enforcing. We will make manual describing main aspects of the game.

Sterner: Be sure to make the UGG manual JUST AS COMPLETE as the PC version (and not just "the main aspects")...and include the same type of screen displays and menus. Hey, I'm making these comments both for us players, as well as to help promote your future sales.

Game Labs:  How difficult can this possibly be?   Take the 25 (!!!) page PC version of the UG Gettysburg manual, delete the inappropriate PC parts, add in the assumed few new iPad specifics...and the software update with the built-in Manual should be good to go.  Duh!

You have already created useful video tutorials (although I am only through scenario 2 so far).  You could make the manual even better than the PC version, by incorporating some of the extremely helpful tips offered in "Blunt's Tutorial" offered here in this forum.  I have occasionally seen play tips in some other computer wargames.

How about going one step further:  Send drafts of the proposed iPad version for review and comment by the three persons who have specifically asked for the Manual (so far), in this thread?  Also consider incorporating some of the most basic concepts about Artillery as well, drawn from this forum Sticky?  Perhaps also offer the draft to R.E.B Blunt as well.  Just think of us as Beta Manual testers, trying to make it easier for newbies to learn.