Game-Labs Forum

A three specific suggestions

akkarfjes

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but :

1. When starting a campaign, the setup and initial fleet autodesign should start immediately. This would shorten the wait for the campaign to start, especially if it could work in the background as i design my own initial fleet. Maybe spawning campaign setup as a separate thread.
  2. Create some kind of incentive to keep your active gun sizes as few as possible. This to simulate the benefits of standardization and to reduce the amount of weird gun diameters that appear in campaign. Especially with smaller guns. 
  3. Make gun stats linear from the base model towards the gun they are scaling towards of the same mark. eg 4.1" MK1 has the stats (4" mk1 + 10% of delta Stats 4"mk1/Stats 5" mk1). This to avoid any weirdness.

18 hours ago, akkarfjes said:

Not sure if this has been suggested before, but :

1. When starting a campaign, the setup and initial fleet autodesign should start immediately. This would shorten the wait for the campaign to start, especially if it could work in the background as i design my own initial fleet. Maybe spawning campaign setup as a separate thread.
  2. Create some kind of incentive to keep your active gun sizes as few as possible. This to simulate the benefits of standardization and to reduce the amount of weird gun diameters that appear in campaign. Especially with smaller guns. 
  3. Make gun stats linear from the base model towards the gun they are scaling towards of the same mark. eg 4.1" MK1 has the stats (4" mk1 + 10% of delta Stats 4"mk1/Stats 5" mk1). This to avoid any weirdness.

1. i don't think this would work until the code is re-written to optimise computer resource usage, ie using more than one core.

2. I think there is already. "Own Guns Splashes" although it seems quite low (<5%).

3. I would have thought it would have been a reasonably straightforward formula involving gun caliber, barrel length, propellant and some sort of Q factor incorporating tech and other factors, but apparently its just a lookup table!

interesting, the crappy German BB I threw together to test 2. above , horribly unbalanced, little armor, slow, and with as many different caliber guns as I could fit, both mains and secondaries, won!

Edit: second battle, this time with a AI designed ship, up to about 40% "own guns splashes"

Edited by kjg000
new info.

Thanks for the reply. You are probably correct, but point 2 was intended to reduce the number of active calibers across the fleet. USS New Orleans (CL-22) had her armstrong guns replaced to ease logistics. In the current state you go up against AI ships from the same navy using 4.1", 4.2" and 4.4" guns . This is probably done to max out weight in the autodesigner, but would be a logistical nightmare irl and completely unrealistic.