Game-Labs Forum

Beta Testers

Darren Knorr

David,

I think you misdirected that, sir. I was saying about the approximately the same thing in response to an earlier post which alleged a semi-conspiratorial idea that the CW is presented as a Northern Righteous Crusade when in fact that wasn't the case (eureka!). Anyway, friendly-fire accepted.  :P

Crowgasm,

Well shoot me full of crossbow bolts and stuff me full of lutefisk!   That's what I get for responding to your post during a deadly boring meeting!  

I just re-read your post.  My apologies for the friendly fire.

It was interesting to check on what my kids are taught in school about the Civil War.  Very cursory.

Thanks for the good humored response!

Similar experiences here, I have 5 children going through schools in the southern US, although I'm from the UK originally (and Ireland) and my step sons grew up in Arizona and New Hampshire, among Yankees and Depraved Westerners. It was striking to hear the blanched/bleached version of history they get in classes here, on the CW. It doesn't fit the conspiratorial view at all (which was a concern, given the South is still The South) but it's a very limited and narrow presentation (but not dishonest or PC)  for an event that remains very significant to understanding modern domestic US culture. I had the opportunity to experience how the Holocaust is covered in German schools a few years ago and the difference is striking. Not a comparison of Holocaust to Civil War, but there are some cultural paralels.

Anyway, watch your bolts and fisk.

Well papa troll. Thanks for the kind words! I was going to "give it up" till the game came out but you had to put your 2 cents in. The Beta is closed.....game over,  time to go home, move along now. Why even have a beta tester forum pinned if you are not going to use anyone? It's a cruel joke I say!

Methinks if you got in that early you must know someone. It must be grand to be playing the Beta for months while we get dick.

By the way in sword of the stars you have to play about 10 hours to get a decent ship. There were upgrades and patches weekly FOR A YEAR. Of course it sucked when a new patch made you go back to the beginning! As for helping here ,how? There has been little coming out other then 1 aar and some screen shots and a short movie. In every post I have offered to help but you say its all about me? Maybe it's because the posts were kind of like a resume. Maybe?

Well bye boys, I'll be back after the game comes out unless someone has something cute to say. Then I can offer my help and guidance to clean up any bugs!

There's nothing wrong with wanting to help, and nobody is trying to 'troll' you. I didn't wan't to convey hostility, and if I have, I apologise. 

All I'm saying is, that the thread (and game for that matter) was created a long time ago. Those whom posted first probably are into testing now, and maybe have been for some time. Now, however, I imagine they're getting close to Early Access and hence don't need any more testers right now. Remember you did only join at the start of February,.. which is fairly late in the scheme of things. They would already have a lot of testers. I'm also pretty sure that the team behind SotS was quite big in comparison to UG's, so you can't really compare the two. 

Ultimately it's up to the team to work how they want, to develop their game, and we're just hitching a ride. It's hardly fair to expect access so late, and when they're already quite advanced. :)

There's nothing wrong with wanting to help, and nobody is trying to 'troll' you. I didn't wan't to convey hostility, and if I have, I apologise. 

All I'm saying is, that the thread (and game for that matter) was created a long time ago. Those whom posted first probably are into testing now, and maybe have been for some time. Now, however, I imagine they're getting close to Early Access and hence don't need any more testers right now. Remember you did only join at the start of February,.. which is fairly late in the scheme of things. They would already have a lot of testers. I'm also pretty sure that the team behind SotS was quite big in comparison to UG's, so you can't really compare the two. 

Ultimately it's up to the team to work how they want, to develop their game, and we're just hitching a ride. It's hardly fair to expect access so late, and when they're already quite advanced. :)

Someone just got nominated for a Pulitzer.

Hiya, five you say, sounds about right to me.

As far as i am concerned if you make it passed the captain, you can have your tasty strategic game of the year for all i care, since you would not be funking with him now. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3zHiWdtcnE&list=HL1396694269

Come on in :unsure: if you are sure.

As a huge strategy fan, I would like to add my name to the list of interested beta testers. I have a lot of free time on my hands and would be happy to help make this a great game (absolutely loved the 22min video posted on RPS).

Congrats on getting greenlit on Steam.

Wondering. 

I am an ardent lover of RTS games, i've been trying to find an rts that actually has the guts to try something different yet familiar. UGG has exactly that. 

It has the flavor of Sid Meier's Gettysburg, yet it has its own identity which shows the experience Darth got from modding on the Total War franchise. 

That's why im very excited and wondering if there will be another round of Beta testing, i am very interested in participating. 

Knowledge and Experience

I am a history teacher, I love 19th century history. The Victorian era, Civil War and the Franco Prussian Wars, among others.And id love to contribute in any way, either by researching or helping with historical accounts. 

I also have a certification in game developement and currently studying Computer Science with the goal of becoming a game developer myself. I have developed a keen eye for bugs and ai missbehaving through my own experiences in game developing with the unity engine. 

I am a casual gamer, when i have the time i do my long sessions, but i understand why the game is heading to tablets as well, its a big market and it would be unwise to miss the chance. 

I believe this game is a great idea and has great potential of aquiring a big fanbase. 

So keep it up guys! 

If possible, i would like to apply as well.

I already played several civil war strategy games (e.g. Scourge of War: Gettysburg, Sid Meyer's Gettysburg) and other strategy games (e.g. complete Total War Series). I have been beta tester for several games in the past and have an extensive IT background (my job for 25+ years).

• 3 weeks later...

Very well Interested.

Have been looking at this in Steam Greenlight lately and caught my attention. (History + Rts, like Total War!)

Waiting for the early access though.. 

But,

All I've got isn't a High-End PC or such, only a 2011-era laptop running World of Tanks on Medium Settings..  ;)

[been having SuperRomanConquest and Godus quite sometime now] Good stuff!

I would like to toss my hat into the ring for beta testing, I have considerable experience with pre-alpha/alpha/beta testing.

I have a considerable setup for PC stats and I also have another lower end PC for testing low-end specs as well, plus a midrange laptop

I would love to beta test this game! I have been following the devolpment quietly and would love the opportunity to check this game out! I grew up playing games like Sid Meirer's Gettysburg and Antietam. I have beta tested numerous games ranging from random greenlight games to alpha and technical alpha testing for blizzard entertainment games as well as other companies. I have not been as excited for a game in a very long time, and feel I can provide the feedback and criticism nessecary to make sure this game reaches the potential it has. I have multiple machines with very different specs to assist me in the testing as well.

Thank you

Been gaming along time as well, beta tested World of tanks, War in the pacific, War thunder, and other titles that go back 25 years

Waiting along time for a good civil war game since civil war generals 2 and am excited about this game.

I've been SO looking forward to this game since I saw in development since the summer! I'm a massive Civil War buff and haven't played a good Civil War game since American Conquest Divided Nations (which no longer operates on my computer) so I am very excited for Ultimate General to come out. If you are still looking for beta testers, I would be love to help out and do what ever I can to make the game better. Looking forward for Early Release, I have my $10 ready!

Just read the news and am excited about this game. Would love to help with the testing of this game and will definitely do it when it goes to early access for the cost. This looks to be an awesome game much along the lines of Sid Meier's Gettysburg.

Excellent news about the latest progress!  I would like to volunteer to be one of the 30-50 testing the limited version.  I have been playing war-games for the past 20 years - the more realistic the better.  I have a high end machine & also lots of time on my hands due a broken leg getting me off work.  I can spot bugs and make hopefully sound suggestions to improve realism & playability.