Game-Labs Forum

UAD Rebalancing Mod for 1.1.4 (V0.7)

Link and Installation:

Link will now be provided by one-drive, as I cannot continue to share the file with dropbox above a certain bandwidth. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhR3YVzwEWaUg6EbZI_A2ykaiEQpJg?e=puvNBQ

To install - Copy resources.assets into
SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data
folder It will override the games version. 

To uninstall – Replace the above resources.assets You can keep a fresh copy of the vanilla resources.assets somewhere if you want an easy uninstall, or simply re-install the game.

Overview

The general purpose of this mod is to tune some of the features of the research, campaign and ship builder to give an experience that tries to balance historical realism with reasonable trade-offs. It will also attempt, where/when possible, to implement adjustments to the modules which are clearly unintentional on the part of the developers (e.g. lighter guns having heavier weights). 

With this mod it should be possible to start a campaign in 1890 and reach roughly the same level of tech in 1920 as if you started in that year [or possibly more], and the AI should have an easier time keeping up with you technologically as well. Every gun type should have strengths and weaknesses, and newer weapons should generally be superior to older ones. Campaign mechanics will be tuned to try to account for the behavior of the AI and the limitations of features.

I have been testing these changes over the course of 1.10 beta, I have had enough time to make my  the changes to the non-beta  version and confirm that the game should not crash and can launch a campaign. I cannot guaranty  the mod will work perfectly during all campaign eras or that it won't break saves, although my changes thus far should not break saves. Install at your own risk. 

It is difficult to keep current with a daily update schedule, being quick about this limits my ability to guaranty that campaigns and battles are not broken. I very quickly checked my own campaign and custom battles to make sure they could launch properly, but that is no guaranty. Please be kind to me if something breaks, just revert to vanilla and inform me about it.

V0.7 changes (for 1.1.4)

• Updated files to allow for compatibility with latest hotfix (1.1.4). Some small differences from v0.6 in terms of the what is changed from vanilla. If not mentioned assume it’s the same as before:
    • Params
      • Damage and penetration use the standard rebalance logic, campaign parameters shift ever closer to vanilla values. (except for government mod which is unchanged/handled elsewhere) I am of the opinion that the AI campaign is mostly better at avoiding collapse except
      • War naval budget changed to 1.5 (Vanilla = 2, v0.6 = 1.25)
      • War inflation and province loss collapse defers fully to Vanilla values
      • Tech budget boost changed (v0.7 = 75, vanilla = 110, v0.6 =50)
      • Changed some parameters to try and encourage the AI to be a bit more aggressive (attempting to reduce the incidence of “ghost battles”) Please provide feedback on whether you notice any impact, positive or negative.
        • General retreat threshold
        • Division retreat threshold
      • Loading message now includes a quick note so players now that the mod has been installed correctly. 
    • Technologies Please provide feedback on whether you notice any impact, positive or negative.
      • ‘Compressed’ the magnitude of the reload reduction on passive techs and modules
      • Lowered the default malus associated with twin, triple, and quad turret reloads
      • Increased the time it theoretically takes to unlock the first tier of dreadnought hulls
      • Made secondary guns on light cruisers available by default (this change was present in v0.6 but not mentioned) (This is partly for considerations of realism as far as 1890 protected cruisers go, also for quality of life reasons, and also for features that I am testing but not distributing for fear of breaking people’s campaigns. If you didn’t play an 1890 campaign you wouldn’t notice, carry on.)
      • I have not changed the research years on the technology associated with gun shell types. I do not think it is desperately necessary in terms of balance. In terms of realism, I don’t know enough about the history of the introduction of the shell types to verify whether they are accurate and haven’t had much time since releasing the mod to do more research. Feel free to contribute.
        • Light shells                                              1890
        • Standard shells                                         1890
        • Heavy shells                                             1890
        • Super heavy shells                                    1920
        • Aerodynamic shell shape                           1907
        • Improved ballistic tip                                 1927
        • Thin-walled shell cases                              1907
        • Advanced shell fuse                                  1919
        • Improved thin-walled shell                         1925
        • HEI - High Explosive Incendiary Shell        1920
        • HCHE - High Capacity Shell                      1915
        • CNF - Nose Fuze Shell                              1891
        • CP - Base Fuze Shell                                 1890
        • CPC - Common Pointed Capped                 1893
        • CPBC - Common Pointed Ballistic Capped  1903
        • SAP - Semi Armor Piercing Shell               1895
        • SAPBC -                                                   1905
        • AP - Armor Piercing Shell                         1890
        • APC - Armor Piercing Capped Shell           1898
        • APBC                                                       1905
        • Improved APBC                                        1915
        • Advanced naval shells                                1930
    • CrewTrainingLevels
      • I forgot to include this edit to v0.6, veterancy bonuses to accuracy and ROF have been scaled back.

V0.6 changes (for 1.1.3)

• Updated files to allow for compatibility with latest hotfix (1.1.3). Some small differences from v0.3 in terms of the what is changed from vanilla. If not mentioned assume it’s the same as before:
    • Accuracies
      • Detection range modifiers for weather have been “on-leveled” so that the relative differences between them are preserved, but the new “base detection” is 1.5x what the base detection is.
      •  Anecdotally looks like it’s working but it’s the sort of thing that is insanely hard to test. Feedback on this ‘change’ is very strongly requested.
      • Will adjust based on feedback and also possible future changes as needed.
    • Params
      • Anything I noticed that was altered between 1.1.3 and 1.1.2 I have deferred to. I’ve squeezed some of the gdp modifiers to be closer to vanilla again. If national economy collapses stop happening I may remove them completely for the next version.
      • Chance of peace/war after you make your choice is still 90%

V0.5 changes (for 1.1.2)

• Updated files to allow for compatibility with latest hotfix (1.1.2) . Some small differences from v0.3 in terms of the what is changed from vanilla. If not mentioned assume it’s the same as before.
  • Accuracies
    • Maluses to weather have been reduced in magnitude slightly
      • (This is the sort of thing where it’s impossible to know what’s realistic, I think the maluses make sense given the difficulty of shooting accurately in bad weather, but I am doing this to compensate for the reduction in accuracy bonuses from veterancy and also because as the player you aren’t informed about the weather until you accept battle)  
  • Params (everything below is subject to alteration based on feedback and I can dampen the changes or restore them to vanilla completely)
    • Max accuracy malus from shooting at a fast target reduced from -.93 to -.7
    • The accuracy malus from shooting a turning target and from turning oneself are now both -.8 [previously -.93 for targets)
    • Smoke accuracy incoming and outgoing are now both -.25
    • Peace event cooldown back to vanilla 5 turns
    • Research priority penalty changed from 2 to 3 [it’s like 14 or something in vanilla btw] – It’s not clear at what value the penalty is greater than the tech priority bonus.
    • Tech research base lowered from 3.2 to 3.1
    • Lose provinces threshold changed from [.3 is vanilla] .1 to .2
    • War wealth inflation add is now -.0025 [not as severe as vanilla but not as generous as -.0015 before, this change from vanilla may be unnecessary now]
    • Shipyard_start value changed from 20000 to 15000 [12500 is vanilla]

V0.4 Changes (1.10.1)

• Updated files to allow for compatibility with latest hotfix [1.10.1]. Should include changes to:
    • governmentmod
    • crewtraininglevels
    • guns
    • technology

• Changes to Params (relative both to v0.3 and current vanilla settings, assume latest vanilla settings if not changed)
    • Adjusted starting shipbuilding capacity to 20Kt(vanilla = 12.5Kt, v0.3 = 25Kt) provide feedback on whether you think the value is too small or too large. Starting max shipyard size should not be  affected
    • Peace event cooldown changed to 3 turns (vanilla = 5, v0.3 = 2)
    • Min war duration set to 5 (current vanilla value)
    • Penetration_randomness reset to vanilla value to test game penetration changes
    • Destroyed section damage penalty changed to .2 (vanilla =.25 v0.3 = .1)
    • Damage section spread mod set back to .975 (may adjust later)
    • instability_damage_ratio set to .0325 (vanilla .065 v0.3 = .025)

V0.3 Changes

• Lowered damage instability malus from generic damage suffered and boosted rate of recovery. (Permanent damage and flooding damage should be unchanged)
  • Lowered the magnitude of the aiming and accuracy bonus to trained/veteran crew
  • Minimum war duration lowered from 5 to 4 months
  • Base peace probability changed to .5
  • Change in likelihood of peace if you tell your government to sue for peace or continue the war is +/-.4 respectively, so if you tell your government to make peace it happens 90% of the time, if you tell your government to continue the war it happens 90% of the time.
  • Lowered VP thresholds for triggering peace chance [15000-> 8500] raised the threshold of relative difference. 
  • Peace request events can trigger every 2 months [previously 4] 
  • Damage to already destroyed components reduced to .1 from .25
  • Damage spread to other sections changed from .975 to .9 (effect unknown will require testing and feedback)
  • Changed the War naval budget multiplier to 1.25 [from 2] I was finding against legendary enemies with perpetual states of war that I was amassing a huge amount of money, as China. I honestly couldn't build a fleet large enough to bankrupt myself  because my shipyards were always at full capacity. 

V0.2 Changes

• Reload rates and shell weights should be working as intended now.

V0.1 Changes

• Research dates for guns are changed to allow for access to those naval guns at historically accurate times, (where the introduction of the weapon and not the launching of the associated ship is used as the date in question)

https://imgur.com/fam11qJ

•   The weapons stats (hit rates and ROF) for factors in both the weapon tier and the date at which the weapon is introduced. This means that a MK I weapon may be better than a MK II or even III weapon.
    •   The first generation of ‘Super Heavy guns’ [17+ inches] introduced around 1917 may be slightly less accurate and a fair bit slower firing than the 15-16 inch weapons but nowhere near as bad relatively speaking as the gap that previously existed.
    •   https://imgur.com/WjM1io8
    • https://imgur.com/4wKFRhC
  • The rates of fire are designed to roughly match those achieved by similar weapon systems.
    • WARNING: ROF for 1-2 inch guns gets very high and may prevent other guns from firing
  • ·Gun accuracy has been altered [With the miracle of spreadsheet software] to smooth out the differences in hit rate performance across the range of guns. Larger guns will still be more accurate at longer ranges.
    • 2.9 and 12.9 inch weapons should no longer be vastly superior to all other light/heavy guns
    • WARNING Hit rate at very high-tech levels [1920+] may be unrealistically high, but this is to a large extent a function of the ‘Range found’ modifier, which varies from +300%-+1500% hit chance, and I am currently unable to find any information on how to balance it.
    •  Factors selected are not designed to necessarily achieve realistic hit rates. However the values that I selected generate what I think are plausible hit rates provided that the sum of the multipliers to said hit rates is between 3-5x for low tech values and 8-10x for high tech levels. I do not want to nerf base hit rates so hard in order to accommodate the fact that it’s possible to increase your hit chance by 15 fold.
  • Government modifiers (effects to GDP, unrest, etc.  from having a particular gvt type) have been toned down in terms of their differences between each other by about 80% (So values range from .8 to 1.2 rather than .2 to 2). This is to retain the flavor without drastically altering gameplay experience or screwing the AI over.
    • GDP Maluses to being at war have been significantly reduced, but not removed entirely.
    • Currently the Campaign keeps most countries in an almost perpetual state of war. Without a war exhaustion system, the AI struggles to avoid economic collapse. This will be revisited when prolonged periods of peace are viable.
    • Threshold for economic collapse changed from .3 to .1 province wealth.
    • Will defer to vanilla values more as I feel confident that the AI nations have proper guard rails.
  • Research Rates in parameters adjusted with the intent of making it easier for countries to keep current but harder to get ahead [relatively speaking]
    •  Research progress should be visible above 1% progress [previously 66%]. Useful for the player but also good for gauging whether research rates are too fast or slow.
    •   Increased base progress rate to 3.2 [previously 1.5]
    •   Double research if research is late by 6 years [previously 25]
    •   Halved research rate if tech is early by 6 years [previously 10]
    •   Reduced the bonus from max research investment to 50% [previously 110%]
  • · Shell types rebalanced around the following assumptions:
    • Base Shell Damage re-scaled to be proportional to shell mass (approximately the cube of the diameter). 16 inch shells are used as the anchor point, so 16 inch shells should have the same damage as vanilla.
    •   Damage impact varies going from 1-21 inch shell size and works as follows
    •   1-3 inch shells significantly weaker [4%-60% of vanilla value]
    •   4-6 inch shells pretty close to the same [60-125% of vanilla]
    •   7-15 inch shells much stronger [125—200% [11 inch guns benefit the most] of vanilla]
    •   17+ are weaker than before [but stronger than 16 inch shells still, just not by as much
    •   Warning: This may cause balance issues in the late game against super battleships due to overly high resistance of the hulls
  • ·Modified the damage and penetration values of shell types based on the following assumptions:
    • The following assumptions are made about the bursting charge of the various shell types as a percent of the shell weight (Base roughly on info from navalweaps.com but with some adjustments for balance sake):
      • §  AP 2.5% APC ~2.4% APBC ~2.3% SAP 4% SAPBC 3.25%
      • §  Common Base 5% CPC 4.25% CPCBC 3.5% HCHE 12% HEI 11%
    •    Penetration damage is assumed to be proportional to bursting charge weight [values used above], and no distinction is made between HE/AP damage independent of this.
    •    SAP has 66% the penetration of a standard AP shell, SAPBC has 82% CPC has 60% and CPBC has 75%
    •    Base fuse HE has 30% the penetration of a standard AP shell, Nose fuse has 15% and HCHE/HEI have 5%
    •    Overpenetration occurs when the penetration value is 3.25x the value of the armor penetrated, [previously 2x] I don’t even want to fathom the difficulty in trying to code fuse timers, entry and exit into a ship, etc. to try and calculate overpenetration. However a value of 2 is too severe since it seems to assume that the shell retains all of its penetrative abilities. The game does not make this assumption with citadel armor [penetration factors are reduced for successive inner belts/decks] So I feel justified in a value something greater than 2 but less than, 3-4.
    •    Overpenetration does 2% of base shell damage, previously 8.25%.
    •    Light shell selection affects all shells, heavy and super-heavy shells should only affect AP
    •   Bursting charge modules no longer affect HE/AP damage separately, so the shell damage modifiers for all bursting charges are proportionately larger.
    •    Rescaled damage of bursting charge modules, this will partly compensate for the fact that large late game shells do less damage

Giving Feedback

1.       I will not add anything in the game that is, or borders on, science fiction (fully automatic 18 inch guns, nuke shells, 1000kt displacement warships, 100 knot ships, etc.). I cannot change anything that requires changes to the games code.

2.       When commenting on balance specify what nation/campaign you played. Your complaints may be period specific.

3.       I’ll consider incorporating suggestions if at least 2 other people agree with the feedback (or more, depending on just how many people also disagree)

Possible Future Plans

1.       Allowing 5-6 inch casemate guns on protected cruisers and up to 9 inch main guns, restrict secondaries on protected cruisers to shielded guns only

2.       Try to normalize the default lengths of guns at the same tier between nations [may not be possible]

3.       Possible restrictions to armor selection of destroyers and protected cruisers

4.       Rebalance damage values of torpedoes

5.       Rebalance armor strength values

6.       Give USA access to more dreadnought hulls

Limitations/Outstanding issues:

Here’s a list of issues and limitations and what impact it might have on the mod.

•  I do not understand what factors affect the magnitude of the ‘range found’ modifier on hit chance, which is by far the most significant contributor to accurate gunfire. I see values that range from 400-1500% but I don’t know what causes the variation. Ditto above for ‘Own maneuver’ which can go up to -100% in both cases I may have to try learning the C# game code.
  • Until those changes, it will be difficult to make guns that aren’t either too inaccurate or too accurate [or both]
  • Secondaries that fire too quickly (3 second reload or less) may cause main battery guns to stop firing, this is an issue in vanilla but may become more of an issue since reload rates for 1-2 inch guns have been changed to ‘autocannon’ levels
  • I have not adjusted the base penetration tables.
  • I cannot do anything about the fact that increasing penetration damage from bursting charges will also increase overpenetration damage. I also cannot do anything about the fact that the damage ratios of shell types are skewed by the choice of bursting charge since they are additive and not multiplicative.
  • I know that some of the last 3 armor techs plus citadel tech bonuses give very high armor strength values and low weights, I have not researched how realistic these values are. (Or whether it even makes sense to have a citadel type increase the strength of a given thickness of armor)
  • Fundamental changes to the damage or aiming system of the game by the developers will render this mod obsolete/broken
  • I have not Altered the relationship between gun length and gun performance characteristics.
  • I have not altered the relationship between gun barrel size modifications and performance characteristics.
  • However, the effect of doing that to your guns should be smoother and more intuitive in my mod.
  •  I have not changed the research dates associated with anything other than guns
  • I have not changed the weight of anything other than shells
  • Shell weights and velocities vary by gun mark tech level, it isn’t clear if these values account for the modules and gun barrels.
    • In other words, the game might be double or triple counting the impact of powder selection, barrel length, shell size, etc.)

Edited by admiralsnackbar
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I had a couple of fights, first impressions. BB and BC have become more vulnerable. To sink them, 20-30 hits of a large caliber are enough, and not a hundred, as in vanilla. It pleases. I haven't collected the necessary statistics yet, but nevertheless I watched how the hit of one projectile causes flooding of 4 compartments out of 10 on the most pumped battleship. Too cool, I hope it's a random factor. CA sink much worse than battleships. Of the oddities - some guns, it seems 152 mm, I observed an unnecessarily ballistic trajectory of 5-6 km.
In general, the mod is interesting, it is necessary to test and collect statistics.

• Like 2

• admiralsnackbar changed the title to UAD Rebalancing Mod for 1.10 (V0.2)
11 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

There was an issue with shell weights/reload rates that should be fixed in the file linked above. 

Thank you for all the work. I will be using your mod for the next weeks and will report any issue I can find. Thanks.

• Like 1

Would you mine sharing which variables you had to modify to fix the issues with the AI being constantly at war / going bankrupt? I have a similar set of changes that I apply via script (to avoid needing to redo the changes after each patch.), but I haven't managed to fix the AI warmongering and failed economies.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, anonusername said:

Would you mine sharing which variables you had to modify to fix the issues with the AI being constantly at war / going bankrupt? I have a similar set of changes that I apply via script (to avoid needing to redo the changes after each patch.), but I haven't managed to fix the AI warmongering and failed economies.

interesting that you use a script, that would definitely be helpful for someone like me. I basically got very good at altering the values with excel/csv after each patch. 

in params, changed values in bold. 

#,,Economy,average cost of ship,ship_average_cost,"1,000,000",,,,
revol_wealth_growth_add,-0.001,,,,,,,,
revol_gdp_multiplier,-0.007,,,,,,,,
wealth_growth,0.007,"growth of state's wealth, ratio, monthly, 0.007",average building time,building_average_time,20,,,,
war_wealth_growth_add,-0.0015,"addition to wealth growth, if we are at war",peace month inflation,peace_inflation,0.055%,,,,
inflation,0.00055,inflation monthly,war month inflation,war_inflation,1.255%,,,,
war_inflation_add,0.006,"addition to inflation, if we are at war",peace one year inflation,peace_year_inflation,0.662%,,,,
threshold_deflation,-0.01171,"minimum level of actual wealth growth, after which decrease of inflation will apply",war one year inflation,war_year_inflation,16.1443%,,,,
cycle_wealth_amplitude,0.001,economic cycle wealth ampitude (1+[-a/+a]) (applied to actual wealth growth),current month inflation,inflation,0.055%,,,,
cycle_wealth_period,60,"economic cycle period, in months",wealth growth monthly,wealth_growth,+0.645%,,,,
change_limit_wealth_growth,1,limit for monthly change of wealth growth,10 year growth of wealth,wealth_growth_10y,+116.304%,,,,
change_limit_inflation,1,limit for monthly change of inflation,,,,,,,
province_income_max_modifier,6,Income max. scale according to campaign initial year (1890-1940),,,,,,,
port_capacity_max_modifier,5.5,Port max. scale according to campaign initial year (1890-1940) ,,,,,,,
initial_player_cash_multiplier,4,Funds max. scale for own fleet (1890-1940) ,,,,,,,
initial_cash_without_fleet_multiplier,0.24,Additional funds multiplier for own fleet,,,,,,,
port_capacity_growth_modifier,1,Affects growth of port capacity,,,,,,,
population_growth_modifier,0.25,Affects growth of  population,,,,,,,
lose_provinces_threshold,0.1,threshold of province income to dissolve a nation,,,,,,,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

interesting that you use a script, that would definitely be helpful for someone like me. I basically got very good at altering the values with excel/csv after each patch. 

in params, changed values in bold. 

#,,Economy,average cost of ship,ship_average_cost,"1,000,000",,,,
revol_wealth_growth_add,-0.001,,,,,,,,
revol_gdp_multiplier,-0.007,,,,,,,,
wealth_growth,0.007,"growth of state's wealth, ratio, monthly, 0.007",average building time,building_average_time,20,,,,
war_wealth_growth_add,-0.0015,"addition to wealth growth, if we are at war",peace month inflation,peace_inflation,0.055%,,,,
inflation,0.00055,inflation monthly,war month inflation,war_inflation,1.255%,,,,
war_inflation_add,0.006,"addition to inflation, if we are at war",peace one year inflation,peace_year_inflation,0.662%,,,,
threshold_deflation,-0.01171,"minimum level of actual wealth growth, after which decrease of inflation will apply",war one year inflation,war_year_inflation,16.1443%,,,,
cycle_wealth_amplitude,0.001,economic cycle wealth ampitude (1+[-a/+a]) (applied to actual wealth growth),current month inflation,inflation,0.055%,,,,
cycle_wealth_period,60,"economic cycle period, in months",wealth growth monthly,wealth_growth,+0.645%,,,,
change_limit_wealth_growth,1,limit for monthly change of wealth growth,10 year growth of wealth,wealth_growth_10y,+116.304%,,,,
change_limit_inflation,1,limit for monthly change of inflation,,,,,,,
province_income_max_modifier,6,Income max. scale according to campaign initial year (1890-1940),,,,,,,
port_capacity_max_modifier,5.5,Port max. scale according to campaign initial year (1890-1940) ,,,,,,,
initial_player_cash_multiplier,4,Funds max. scale for own fleet (1890-1940) ,,,,,,,
initial_cash_without_fleet_multiplier,0.24,Additional funds multiplier for own fleet,,,,,,,
port_capacity_growth_modifier,1,Affects growth of port capacity,,,,,,,
population_growth_modifier,0.25,Affects growth of  population,,,,,,,
lose_provinces_threshold,0.1,threshold of province income to dissolve a nation,,,,,,,

Thanks. I can post my script here if it is helpful (still WIP). It basically has two sections. a "dumb replacement" mode that just execute find replaces on the assets file using regex, and another mode that automatically rebalances the years for gun caliber enhancements. (I decided it was easier to do this way than by fixing the marks to fit their original year like you did. I also chose to boost fire rates by improving the autoloader tech instead of doing it the hard way by editing all the individual guns. )

#!/bin/zsh

UAD_DIR='/home/REDACTED/Documents/games/steam/steamapps/common/Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts/Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data'
UAD_ASSETS="$UAD_DIR/resources.assets"
UAD_BACKUP="${UAD_ASSETS}.bak"

declare -a GUN_MARKS GUN_CALIBERS
declare -ia MARK_STARTS MARK_ENDS CALIBER_OFFSETS
GUN_MARKS=(
	"Mk-I"
	"Mk-II"
	"Mk-III"
	"Mk-IV"
	"Mk-V"
)
GUN_CALIBERS=(
	"9-inch"
	"10-inch"
	"11-inch"
	"12-inch"
	"13-inch"
	"14-inch"
	"15-inch"
	"16-inch"
	"17-inch"
	"18-inch"
	"19-inch"
	"20-inch"
)
# Taken from secondary gun techs.
MARK_STARTS=(
	"1890"
	"1893"
	"1910"
	"1919"
	"1930"
)
MARK_ENDS=(
	"1890"
	"1902"
	"1919"
	"1929"
	"1940"
)
# Taken form main gun techs.
CALIBER_OFFSETS=(
	 0 #  9in
	 0 # 10in
	 0 # 11in
	 0 # 12in
	 5 # 13in - 1895
	21 # 14in - 1911
	27 # 15in - 1917
	29 # 16in - 1919
	34 # 17in - 1924
	37 # 18in - 1927
	39 # 19in - 1929
	41 # 20in - 1931
)

generate_gun_years()
{
	local -i ncals=${#GUN_CALIBERS[@]}
	for ((i = 1; i <= ${#GUN_MARKS[@]}; ++i)); do
		for ((j = 1; j <= $ncals; ++j)); do
			local -i coff=${CALIBER_OFFSETS[$j]}
			local -i syear=${MARK_STARTS[$i]}
			local -i eyear=${MARK_ENDS[$i]}
			local -i year=$(( $syear + ($eyear - $syear) * $j / $ncals ))
			# "Minimum Year" for calibers which are not invented at game start.
			local -i myear=$((1890 + $coff + 2 * $i - 1))
			# Don't allow bigger guns to hit high marks too fast
			[[ $year -lt $myear ]] && year=$myear

echo ${GUN_MARKS[${i}]} ${GUN_CALIBERS[${j}]} guns $year  
		done
	done
}

apply_changes()
{
	local line;
	while read -r line; do
		echo sed -re "$line" -i "$UAD_ASSETS"
	done
}

# Applies changes in a single sed call.
apply_changes_opt()
{
	local line

while read -r line; do
		echo -e '\055e' "'$line'"
	done | xargs sed -r -i "$UAD_ASSETS"
}

#cp "$UAD_BACKUP" "$UAD_ASSETS"

apply_changes << 'EOF'
s/,south_carolina_hull_a,/,dreadnought_hull_c,000/
s/(tech_budget_boost),110/\1,120/
s/(tech_budget_max),35/\1,50/
s/(hide_research_below),66/\1,20/
s/(fuel_cost_mod),0.05/\1,0.03/
s/(fuel_battle_max_throttle_mod),1.05/\1,0.50/
s/flaws\(3.5\)/flaws(5.0)/
s/reload\(27.5\)/reload(50.0)/
s/reload\(20\)/reload(40)/
s/reload\(15\)/reload(30)/
s/reload\(10\)/reload(20)/
s/gun_damage\(+17.5;-15\)/gun_damage(+5.0;-5.0)/
s/torpedo_damage\(+20;-20\)/torpedo_damage(+5;-5.0)/
s/gun_damage\(+20;-20\)/gun_damage(+5;-5.0)/
s/ap_ricochet_chance(7.5)/ap_ricochet_chance(-10)/
s/ap_ricochet_chance(10), /ap_ricochet_chance(-15),/
s/ap_ricochet_chance(15), /ap_ricochet_chance(-20),/
s/ap_ricochet_chance(20), /ap_ricochet_chance(-40),/
s/(^gun_length_firerate_min,0.)275/\1100/
s/(^gun_length_firerate_max,-0.)15/\110/
s/(^over_penetration_threshold,)2/\13/
s/(^over_penetration,0.0)85/\135/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-2\)/\1-1)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-3.5\)/\1-2.0)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-5\)/\1-3)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-6.5\)/\1-4.0)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-8\)/\1-5)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-4\)/\1-2)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-7\)/\1-4)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-9\)/\1-5)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-11\)/\1-06)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-13\)/\1-07)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-15\)/\1-10)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-20\)/\1-12)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-25\)/\1-15)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-7.5\)/\1-5.0)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-10\)/\1-06)/
s/(weight\(tower_(main|sec);)-12\)/\1-08)/
EOF

generate_gun_years | \
# This works because the first capture group is greedy and catches up to the last space.
sed -re 's/(.*) (.*)/s\/(\1),1...\/\\1,\2\//' | apply_changes_opt

Also, I noticed the game says "During peacetime, special events can trigger missions against other smaller nations where your land armies attack automatically or you have to send a fleet to begin a naval invasion.", but I have never seen any such event. Would you happen to know where the probability of these events is controlled?

3 minutes ago, anonusername said:

Also, I noticed the game says "During peacetime, special events can trigger missions against other smaller nations where your land armies attack automatically or you have to send a fleet to begin a naval invasion.", but I have never seen any such event. Would you happen to know where the probability of these events is controlled?

I do not know where they are controlled, but 2 such events popped up in my campaign playing as the US.  My government wanted to "prep for conquest" by invading some points in the Caribbean.  So at least I know they do work :) 

2 minutes ago, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

Was it this historical for HE shells to be this powerful against All or Nothing?

It makes sense for HE to do a lot of damage to non-essential sections of an All or Nothing ship. The issues are
1. Damage to the non-essential portions of the ship cause a massive "damage instability" accuracy penalty.

2. There is no counterflooding to avoid listing when the prow or stern flood.

3. If additional damage is dealt to a destroyed section, it will "flow" to adjacent sections. This was introduced because of player feedback, but went too far in the other direction IMO.

3 minutes ago, Suribachi said:

I do not know where they are controlled, but 2 such events popped up in my campaign playing as the US.  My government wanted to "prep for conquest" by invading some points in the Caribbean.  So at least I know they do work :) 

Would you happen to remember the exact text of the event so I can search for it?

On a different topic, I wonder if increasing the "peace_treaty_chance_per_month" (very misleadingly name, it is actually the chance for peace to happen *after* a treaty is proposed, which can only happen twice a year) would help the AI not fight endless wars. 

4 minutes ago, anonusername said:

It makes sense for HE to do a lot of damage to non-essential sections of an All or Nothing ship. The issues are
1. Damage to the non-essential portions of the ship cause a massive "damage instability" accuracy penalty.

2. There is no counterflooding to avoid listing when the prow or stern flood.

3. If additional damage is dealt to a destroyed section, it will "flow" to adjacent sections. This was introduced because of player feedback, but went too far in the other direction IMO.

Would you happen to remember the exact text of the event so I can search for it?

On a different topic, I wonder if increasing the "peace_treaty_chance_per_month" (very misleadingly name, it is actually the chance for peace to happen *after* a treaty is proposed, which can only happen twice a year) would help the AI not fight endless wars. 

If the flow of damage can be limited in the parameters I can try to tweak it down. I like the idea of being able to cripple a ship that uses all or nothing with HE or common shells but not necessarily sinking it outright. 

I can also look around to see if I can increase the likelihood of the AI accepting peace. 

9 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

If the flow of damage can be limited in the parameters I can try to tweak it down. I like the idea of being able to cripple a ship that uses all or nothing with HE or common shells but not necessarily sinking it outright. 

I can also look around to see if I can increase the likelihood of the AI accepting peace. 

The issue with damage instability is that it is ridiculously overtuned. Often it will be maxed out by just a couple of hits, even though those hits caused only minor damage.

13 minutes ago, ZorinW said:

@admiralsnackbar Great work!

I was wondering if you have checked the mechanics behind the auto-resolve as well? Cause right now, that function is best be avoided for its completely random nature.

I only know the parameters but not the function itself

power_estimation_cost_exp_ai,0.65,"...same, but used for ai during battle",0.4,,,,,,
power_estimation_cost_exp,0.5,power of exponent applied to cost to estimate generic power of ship,0.2,Autoresolve +10% cost (Should address a report of players),,,,,
power_armor_exp,0.75,autoresolve power factor for armor,0.45,,,,,,
power_speed_exp,0.35,autoresolve power factor for speed,0.6,,,,,,
power_firepower_exp,0.55,autoresolve power factor for firepower,0.68,,,,,,
power_ammo_exp,0.15,autoresolve power factor for ammo,0.1,,,,,,
power_crew_exp,0.15,autoresolve power factor for crew,0.1,,,,,,

If i got better at C# and unity programming I might be  able to look under the hood but I've opened the files in visualbasic and it's gibberish to me. 

12 minutes ago, anonusername said:

The issue with damage instability is that it is ridiculously overtuned. Often it will be maxed out by just a couple of hits, even though those hits caused only minor damage.

I think i saw the lines about damage instability, and I May be able to address it. 

Edited by admiralsnackbar

4 minutes ago, admiralsnackbar said:

power_estimation_cost_exp_ai,0.65,"...same, but used for ai during battle",0.4,,,,,,
power_estimation_cost_exp,0.5,power of exponent applied to cost to estimate generic power of ship,0.2,Autoresolve +10% cost (Should address a report of players),,,,,

If i got better at C# and unity programming I might be  able to look under the hood but I've opened the files in visualbasic and it's gibberish to me. 

Did you find a tool for reversing il2cpp assemblies back to c#?

3 hours ago, anonusername said:

This was introduced because of player feedback, but went too far in the other direction IMO.

It was introduced not because of player feedback on damage models but because AI ships kept running away and their sterns kept eating all the shots leading to near-invincible ships, and rather than do the difficult but necessary thing and fix the AI Game Labs added the damage overflow.

3 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

That sort of thing should be exceptionally difficult since AoN ships were explicitly designed to prevent that sort of thing by having everything outside the citadel be of little to no value.  Everything from ammo to fire control to primary damage control to even backup diesels were inside the citadel.  The only thing the towers were necessary for was providing central rangefinding as opposed to turrets handling that individually, which is what the bunny ears on the B and Y turrets were for.  I believe in an emergency one of those could even handle fire control for all three turrets thanks to how they were hooked into the fire control computer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anonusername said:

Did you find a tool for reversing il2cpp assemblies back to c#?

The issue with modding Il2ccp is the fact you can't just rebuild you'd need to use melon loader to create a C# mod for it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, admiralsnackbar said:

I think i saw the lines about damage instability, and I May be able to address it. 

Interesting, but as you say, without the function we don't really know what is happening.

10 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

It was introduced not because of player feedback on damage models but because AI ships kept running away and their sterns kept eating all the shots leading to near-invincible ships, and rather than do the difficult but necessary thing and fix the AI Game Labs added the damage overflow.

The correct answer here is to properly model the armored bulkhead at the rear of the citadel and allow sufficiently powerful shells to go through the destroyed stern and penetrate it from behind. Instead we get shells fired at broadsides magically doing a 90* turn into the citadel and ignoring the armor.

10 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

That sort of thing should be exceptionally difficult since AoN ships were explicitly designed to prevent that sort of thing by having everything outside the citadel be of little to no value.  Everything from ammo to fire control to primary damage control to even backup diesels were inside the citadel.  The only thing the towers were necessary for was providing central rangefinding as opposed to turrets handling that individually, which is what the bunny ears on the B and Y turrets were for.  I believe in an emergency one of those could even handle fire control for all three turrets thanks to how they were hooked into the fire control computer.

I wonder if it is possible to make AoN citadel reduce the penalties from stern/bow damage.

• admiralsnackbar changed the title to UAD Rebalancing Mod for 1.10 (V0.3)

New version/download link

I would like to look at funnels and turrets next, but that will take more time than it took to finish this. 

V0.3 Changes

• Lowered damage instability malus from generic damage suffered and boosted rate of recovery. (Permanent damage and flooding damage should be unchanged)
  • Lowered the magnitude of the aiming and accuracy bonus to trained/veteran crew
  • Minimum war duration lowered from 5 to 4 months
  • Base peace probability changed to .5
  • Change in likelihood of peace if you tell your government to sue for peace or continue the war is +/-.4 respectively, so if you tell your government to make peace it happens 90% of the time, if you tell your government to continue the war it happens 90% of the time.
  • Lowered VP thresholds for triggering peace chance [15000-> 8500] raised the threshold of relative difference. 
  • Peace request events can trigger every 2 months [previously 4] 
  • Damage to already destroyed components reduced to .1 from .25
  • Damage spread to other sections changed from .975 to .9 (effect unknown will require testing and feedback)
  • Changed the War naval budget multiplier to 1.25 [from 2] I was finding against legendary enemies with perpetual states of war that I was amassing a huge amount of money, as China. I honestly couldn't build a fleet large enough to bankrupt myself  because my shipyards were always at full capacity. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally got around to decompiling the code, and I found that the variable for controlling minor invasion frequency is "major_nation_threat_chance". You can increase it up to 1 to up the odds of a conquest. Note that there are other (less random) checks after this, and the invasion check only happens once per X turns.

14 minutes ago, anonusername said:

I finally got around to decompiling the code, and I found that the variable for controlling minor invasion frequency is "major_nation_threat_chance". You can increase it up to 1 to up the odds of a conquest. Note that there are other (less random) checks after this, and the invasion check only happens once per X turns.

Any idea which section is responsible for deciding what the largest casemates and guns can go on a particular class of warship?

• admiralsnackbar changed the title to UAD Rebalancing Mod for 1.1.4 (V0.7)