Game-Labs Forum

>>>v1.1+ Feedback<<<(Latest Update: v1.2.9R)

Nick Thomadis

I don't know what you did but the battles are better. The ai formations are great. I ran into a organized battle line. Split it up and killed it piecemeal. I only lost a DD but the battle was so much better. I also pasuse to pass orders. I formed two lines and had DDs wreck havoc on line. First time had a great battle. Playing Germans 1900, fighting French, go figure! For once the ai is using subs against me. Actually trying to disrupt invasion. I sunk 2 with loss of CL and DD. First time I saw a sub sink. Thanks Nick great game. Only have trouble mounting small guns when it seems they should as per their real counterparts. But I read this will be fixed. Also can you consider a dlc to go to war with minors, or even play them. Just a thought.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 2:37 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

The Logistics tooltip on the Politics is something very minor and will be fixed in the next update (Help section is already including the necessary information). If you find something else similar found, please show us to fix or else please do not generalize.

As for all the rest... we already offer the ability to design so many different hulls that can replicate +/- most if not all your recommendation of hulls. Should we continue to add models more than any other naval game combined in the universe, to have a game fully released, already offering much more content than most naval games?

There are naval games which charge more than $40 for a reskinned 3D model ship with different stats, not a full game with so many unique aspects. I am sorry, I am personally sorry for all these I read.

You, the gamers will define what you will get from this game in the future. We already plan to make more, including graphics, UI, weathers, new ship models. Good and rational feedback helps everyone to improve the game you all currently own. Negativity and sometimes evil manners, do the exact opposite. 

I appreciate the fixes, but claiming the game is almost ready for release continues to be concerning. It isn't the lack of hulls that is the major issue (although more are always appreciated), but the bugs, broken mechanics, and poor campaign UI. Even if you said "no more hulls without buying a $40 DLC", that would be okay if the existing game content is properly polished and the major bugs are fixed before release. The response you are seeing from certain players is a result of way you are communicating (or failing to communicate) what to expect from the final stretch of the development process.

Some major bugs or serious problems that remain: (In very rough order of priority)
1. Penetration is better, but still seriously broken/buggy.  e.g. Ships will block 12" guns while 5" penetrates. Probably related, but the penetration estimator is absolutely useless because it has minimal bearing on the actual chance of a successful penetration.

2. The player lacks good feedback from the UI on how to utilize the campaign mechanics. Feedback should include exact numbers, or at least a general indication of magnitude. I am only able to find some of this info by reading the game files. These systems may be intuitive and obvious to you, their creator, but they are opaque and confusing to us. A good UI is essential to making the game feel like a finished product.
2a. How do logistics and army size affect naval invasion? How does the number of ships affect naval invasions? Does the bombardment capacity affect naval invasions?

2b. How do transports affect GDP growth?

2c. How do blockades and sunk transports affect the enemies performance in land battles? Do nearby navies affect land battles?

2d. How willing is the AI to accept a peace deal? What would make them more willing?

2e. How is the player's tech budget multiplying their research progress? How is the "early/late" modifier affecting research progress?

2f. How do the player's actions affect their relation with minors?

2e. What are the prerequisites for getting a mission to invade a minor?

2f. How many ships can be in a zone without imposing a relation penalty?

2g. What proportion of shipbuilding capacity comes from GDP vs. shipyard size?
2h. How does one trigger a port bombardment? (I haven't managed to do this since the global map.)
3. The player's ability to guide the progress of their campaign is too limited. The last major update made a huge improvement, but there are still some problems. The player doesn't 100%, or even 50%, control. However, we should be able to influence the situation somewhat.
3a. No way for the player to encourage a naval invasion of a minor.

3b. No way to influence politics and avoid crippling GDP penalties.

3c. No way to request the land army to prioritize a certain region. 

4. Certain nations have very limited selections of hulls at certain points in the game. e.g. The US with early dreadnoughts or modern light cruisers. I am not asking for more unique hulls, just that nations be given broader access to generic hulls to fill these gaps. e.g. The US could have access to the generic dreadnought, small dreadnought, or semi-dreadnought hulls.

5. The map needs to be made wrap-around. This is a smaller issue than the preceding ones, but hopefully not too hard to fix.

Edit: It truly disappoints me that this game was declared fully released without even giving a full day for players to test 1.1.2. It pains me to do so, but I judge fully released games by the standard of other fully released games. I have left a negative review on steam and will likely move on to other games rather than continue to waste my time.

Edited by anonusername
  • Like 14

8 hours ago, anonusername said:

I appreciate the fixes, but claiming the game is almost ready for release continues to be concerning. It isn't the lack of hulls that is the major issue (although more are always appreciated), but the bugs, broken mechanics, and poor campaign UI. Even if you said "no more hulls without buying a $40 DLC", that would be okay if the existing game content is properly polished and the major bugs are fixed before release. The response you are seeing from certain players is a result of way you are communicating (or failing to communicate) what to expect from the final stretch of the development process.

Indeed, the game is getting wrecked in steam reviews. It's quite sad but deserved.
I guess that the management was so used to the game not even being playable that, from the moment it is (even when riddled by serious bugs), they release.

I guess they're releasing to increase income in the short-term. Won't even work with the steam reviews disaster, and that will have an impact in the long term...

At least give us some amount of mod support. We'll try to fix your game by ourselves, you'll increase your sales, win-win situation. I have absolutely no hope the management will be smart enough to realize this, but we still have to try to salvage things here.

• Like 9

My feedback after a 5 h session yesterday:

1-Bug  with  ship being hit in the rudder in the midst of a turn. the ship freeze in place... goes to 0 knots immediately . need to turn on and off the avoid collision  a few times before it starts to move. Happened 2 times

2- Performance is better, but the weapon display window is still the most cpu intensive part of the game. It becomes dumb to keep it open, even so it improved truly.

3- Penetration, true penetrations seems fixed but overpen and partial pen  still by the hits report are  weird. I get average thickness on overpen HIGHER than on partial pens, way higher. Unless what you report on that  is not  the thickness of the armor, this seems a bit fishy. If it is the distance traveled by the projectile then ok, but a change in wording can help  then.

4- There is a memory leak. The game gets slower and slower everytime you move into and out of the world map  and using some extra 30 MB of memory on the process, until it crashes. Does not stop people from testing, but if you want to release the game  it cannot have such obvious memory leaks.

5- The income bonus during war must go away, really. It makes the economic side of the game moot. It is simply impossible to spend even less of what you get moneywise. My docks can never consume more than 1/5th of what the taxpayers give me. 

6- What in heck is with Austro HUngary empire designs?  Do the game have personalities for each country design? Because AH always produces  more BB than all other nations combined, but always incredibly crapy ones. YEsterday  in 1908 they have 31 BB... each one armed with ONE 9 inch gun and nothing else.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Alexander said:

Aaaand there we go.

5th campaign I quit in about 2 days, and I don't think I'm going to touch this game in the foreseeable future.

Bug after bug after bug. Is this full release worthy in your mind?

Latest ragequit: my 20k ton dreadnought with 11 inch guns and 12 inch belt gets massacred without a chance by an enemy heavy cruiser half its size, armed with 8 inch guns.

My 11 inch guns maaaaybe are lucky enough to hit a partial pen, but mostly bounces.

His 8 inch guns overpen my belt. My main belt of 12 inches.

Most of my hits, even at 1,5 kms, are on the enemy deck. How? I don't know. Had one lucky penetration, everything else was bounces. 

For the love of god fix whatever penetration calculation you managed to break in the last updates. That might make the game playable. As it stands, it's a mess and battles aren't worth fighting.

You describe basically the situation of the patch before tuesday's..  are you sure your steam updated it? Here normal penetrations are working, very few bounces, although overpens seems iffy as they happen in the weirdest places.

On the other side... at 1.5 km as you report, a 8 inch gun can easily cut trough 12 inch if with proper shells. At point blank range cruisers are superior because they have higher rate of fire . In my  campaign yesterday I had a single  1906 Italian  dreadnought  defeat 11 armored cruisers and a lot of smaller ships without  receiving a single penetration.

Now  One thing I noticed is that at point blank range  I miss MUCH MUCH more than at 3-4 km.  Why? I have no idea really.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TiagoStein said:

5- The income bonus during war must go away, really. It makes the economic side of the game moot. It is simply impossible to spend even less of what you get moneywise. My docks can never consume more than 1/5th of what the taxpayers give me. 

6- What in heck is with Austro HUngary empire designs?  Do the game have personalities for each country design? Because AH always produces  more BB than all other nations combined, but always incredibly crapy ones. YEsterday  in 1908 they have 31 BB... each one armed with ONE 9 inch gun and nothing else.

5 - try the USSR. They never have money and the economy is not growing. I call it unplayable government, but for hardcore it will go.

6 -that's right, every country has design preferences. You can enable random behavior and use shared designs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TiagoStein said:

You describe basically the situation of the patch before tuesday's..  are you sure your steam updated it? Here normal penetrations are working, very few bounces, although overpens seems iffy as they happen in the weirdest places.

On the other side... at 1.5 km as you report, a 8 inch gun can easily cut trough 12 inch if with proper shells. At point blank range cruisers are superior because they have higher rate of fire . In my  campaign yesterday I had a single  1906 Italian  dreadnought  defeat 11 armored cruisers and a lot of smaller ships without  receiving a single penetration.

Now  One thing I noticed is that at point blank range  I miss MUCH MUCH more than at 3-4 km.  Why? I have no idea really.

Updated to the latest version and this is my experience so far.

Going to try to maybe uninstall the game and reinstall, idk.

Yeah, at 1,5 kms it's okay for a CA to pen my belt, sure. It's not okay for my BB to bounce on the CA 6 inch belt and mostly hit the deck. That's not normal, balistics are way off.

1 hour ago, TiagoStein said:

Clearly you haven't played Spain then. Certain governments never grow moenywise, no matter how much you conquer. I abandoned my campaign because I was struggling to keep a 50 ship fleet (one third of them destroyers) even on wartime income. And that despite having conquered northern and south france, southern italy, southern russia, ukraine and crimea, among other good provinces. You should think I should have a good GDP, right? Nope, barely 11B in 1924 from the 6.5 billion in 1890. Meanwhile AH was sitting at 35 billion without doing anything, and having the strongest fleet in the world in terms of tonnage.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The PC Collector said:

Clearly you haven't played Spain then. Certain governments never grow moenywise, no matter how much you conquer. I abandoned my campaign because I was struggling to keep a 50 ship fleet (one third of them destroyers) even on wartime income. And that despite having conquered northern and south france, southern italy, southern russia, ukraine and crimea, among other good provinces. You should think I should have a good GDP, right? Nope, barely 11B in 1924 from the 6.5 billion in 1890. Meanwhile AH was sitting at 35 billion without doing anything, and having the strongest fleet in the world in terms of tonnage.

I did not play spain true, but I play italy a lot and they start with very close GDP. After 2 years  I have so much money that  I might start a Warhammer 40 k collection to spend it all. Eight years into a 1900 campaign yesterday and I was with a 55K tons shipyard full maxed bars in  finances  a fleet stronger than  any other country and I still had 230 Million surplus per month.

44 minutes ago, Kevin Alexander said:

Updated to the latest version and this is my experience so far.

Going to try to maybe uninstall the game and reinstall, idk.

Yeah, at 1,5 kms it's okay for a CA to pen my belt, sure. It's not okay for my BB to bounce on the CA 6 inch belt and mostly hit the deck. That's not normal, balistics are way off.

I think the hit the deck  is indeed a separate bug. I have also seen it happen but conditiosn to happen are not so reliable as it seems the weather influences a lot.

Extending my condolences to the devs for having to push this out the door so soon. Hope you have the freedom to keep working on it as much & as long as you want. Sorry about the abuse you'll get from the players. Seems very rushed, and that sucks.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Looks like a big improvement so far.

1 hour ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Greetings all,

Here is another set of fixes and improvements.
Hotfix Update v1.1.3 26/1/2023
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1069660/view/3653017023923446522 

These improvements look great, but I am wondering when the remaining problems with penetration will be fixed? I am having issues with specific BB vs. CA matchups in the campaign, and the issue is easily replicated in custom battles by pairing an ultra-high-pen BB vs. a low-armor BB.

Also, I still find it disappointing that you didn't wait even 1 week for these remaining essential bug fixes to be finished prior to release. The poor release reviews alone will substantially impact the potential buyer's impression of your game. Personally, I will go back and update my review to positive if the remaining serious bugs and UI problems are fixed, but statistically most people will never update their reviews. Moreover, it wastes the PR opportunity for additional sales after exiting EA. Who knows how many people may have had the game on their wishlist waiting to see if it exited EA, but then chosen not to buy because of poor release reviews?

EDIT: Since the other announcement thread is locked, posting this here. I feel the developers have a warped perspective on the magnitude of the bugs that are present or were present in 1.1.2. I appreciate the work involved in making a game which rarely crashes, but major gameplay bugs are absolutely a major problem which should block release. Even major AAA developers like CD Projekt Red are (rightly) criticized for releasing broken/buggy games like Cyberpunk 2077. The fact they mostly fixed it after the fact does not justify a broken release. These gameplay bugs have real impact. e.g. I have put my current campaign on hold until the pen bugs are fixed because battles are, essentially at random, drawn out and boring. Watching my battleships fight the enemy BBs for 5 minutes, then spend half an hour pounding on CAs with inexplicably invincible main belts, is not fun. There is no challenge; the CAs couldn't seriously damage my battle line. It was just boring.

Edited by anonusername
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, neph said:

Extending my condolences to the devs for having to push this out the door so soon. Hope you have the freedom to keep working on it as much & as long as you want. Sorry about the abuse you'll get from the players. Seems very rushed, and that sucks.

I wish the devs would just explain why they felt the need to do so, and why they feel the current problems are not significant. Communication is key. If they explained that they must release now, acknowledged the serious problems, and gave even a basic timetable for fixing them, that would be enough. Instead, they downplay the problems in a way that creates uncertainty as to whether they take them seriously at all.

12 hours ago, Lima said:

5 - try the USSR. They never have money and the economy is not growing. I call it unplayable government, but for hardcore it will go.

6 -that's right, every country has design preferences. You can enable random behavior and use shared designs.

5 - This is a result of the government based GDP penalties. Communism has a massive penalty. If you can somehow manage to make the USSR a right wing democracy, GDP will soar. (GDP growth increases as you move right, until you hit nationalist and it tanks.) This is another instance where the poor UI creates confusion unless you read the game files.

Edited by anonusername

@Nick Thomadis Oil ressources are stil not properly accounted for.

As Italy I had no province with oil production, which was correctly shown in the Politics tab. After a war with Russia I took Turkmenistan from them with an Oil production of 52,804 barrels per capita. Yet the Politics screen now only shows 5,808 barrels per capita. 

oQnRdkk.jpg

jk9M7JY.jpg

Edited by ZorinW

9 minutes ago, ZorinW said:

As Italy I had no province with oil production, which was correctly shown in the Politics tab. After a war with Russia I took Turkmenistan from them with an Oil production of 52,804 barrels per capita. Yet the Politics screen now only shows 5,808 barrels per capita. 

oQnRdkk.jpg

jk9M7JY.jpg

The statistic in province shows the Oil production per Capita for the province and its population. 

The statistic for the whole population of the nation is shown in the Politics and takes into consideration the whole population.

10 minutes ago, ZorinW said:

oQnRdkk.jpg

jk9M7JY.jpg

Turkmenistan has 53k per capita, but your other provinces have 0k per capita. The 6k per capita overall is probably an average amount all your provinces. 

8 minutes ago, ZorinW said:

oQnRdkk.jpg

jk9M7JY.jpg

And what is the population of Italy? I guess if population of Turkmenistan is 7mil with oil production per capita at 53k, when you add italian population which share this resource the oil production per capita will drop significantly since oroduction is the same but population increased drastically.

4 minutes ago, madham82 said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to make it a raw production number instead of per capita? Is there some "availability" metric that translate to whether you have enough supply to support your fleets that would be more useful to the player to display?  

Agreed. The way it is handled right now is VERY confusing. Why force the player to make a number of calculations instead of providing a proper number that would also make way more sense in the context of supply needs for your fleet, which certainly would not be show per capita. 

Give us a total production and a total required amount by our fleet. That would be VERY straightforward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anonusername said:

5 - This is a result of the government based GDP penalties. Communism has a massive penalty. If you can somehow manage to make the USSR a right wing democracy, GDP will soar. (GDP growth increases as you move right, until you hit nationalist and it tanks.) This is another instance where the poor UI creates confusion unless you read the game files.

I know. This is shown in the interface. Far-right/left, absolute monarchy have monstrous debuffs to GDP growth. Previously, a difference of 10% GDP growth was enough to lead the world at a long distance. Now one country can have +30%, and the other -35% (-45% communism lol). It's completely out of balance.

All your naval victories mean nothing. Your country will be in ruins simply because you have such a government. You could take over Iraq/Venezuela, so that oil somehow corrects the situation, but this is the will of RNG. The only option when playing for these countries is extensive expansion.

And as always, this is a problem not so much for the player as for the AI. As soon as the enemy country gets one of these governments, it is doomed.

• Like 1