Game-Labs Forum

Poll of Current Suggestions!

571 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Whaling added to the game?

• Active feature that you can partake in?
    • Passive resource used in the economy
    • Not at all. Greenpeace has spoken.
  2. 2. Would you like to see drunk crews if you don't manage your crew properly?

3. 3. Would you like to see the feature - assist a sinking ship, implemented?

4. 4. Would you like to reduce the rate at which you can repair your ship at present?

5. 5. Would you like to see increased dispersion from long range broadsides to encourage closer fights?

6. 6. Would you like to see a preview of unlocked/locked ships in the main menu

7. 7. Would you like to see a Lookout feature implemented?

• A written warning on my screen that a sail has been sighted.
    • A call-out from one of my crew that a sail has been sighted
    • A written AND vocal warning
    • No, I like surprises.
  8. 8. Would you like a journal feature implemented?

9. 9. Would you to run aground every so often?

Credits to:

Whaling - ?

Lookout - Zakota

Assisting a ship - Similon

Drunk crews - Bajadian

reduce current repairs - Crankey

Increased dispersion at long range.

Preview of ships - Joao18

Journal - Me.

Running aground - Me

The idea with the journals is that the game could automatically put in your log you had sighted a strange sail or engaged an enemy, or run aground which you then read out / give to your superior on heading home

The running aground is pretty obvious, if you don't know your waters, you could get caught up in some shallow reef and lose your ship.

Edited by Richard Bolitho
  • Like 4

Thanks Richard.

For assisting a sinking ship I would rather see a striking feature and have its own crew save her while she drifted out of the combat zone. Assisting the ship after the battle I think would be a nice feature in the open world map.

(This would cost less players their ship sunk, but would still effectively remove them from continuing the current combat.)

o7  Salute

• Like 1

Would you like to see Whaling added to the game?

Sure, it is a trade as much as Ivory trade. And same greenpeace issues, so no problem there. It is a game.

Would you like to see drunk crews if you don't manage your crew properly?

No. Mutiny on the other hand, yes.

Would you like to see the feature - assist a sinking ship, implemented?

Yes. Same as hauling a prize ship back to port.

Would you like to reduce the rate at which you can repair your ship at present?

No. My suggestion regarding this has been posted in the Repairs thread.

Would you like to see increased dispersion from long range broadsides to encourage closer fights?

No. The question is not formulated correctly. I want to see proper distances in game and shot calculations being proper. If it promotes different tactics is yet to be seen.

Would you like to see a preview of unlocked/locked ships in the main menu

Sea Trials deals with unlocks, so we are not dealing with a game but with a testing phase. We have no idea how it will be in the future. I would like a game ships library with preview and historical information.

Would you like to see a Lookout feature implemented?

Communications are okay as long as they have a delay to mimic the real issues of life at large without any contact. Lookout communication range must be limited. Sighting can be relayed by frigate couriers if they are in a proximity area,

Would you like a journal feature implemented?

Not for nor against. If the Devs have time for a Captain's Log, sure. I would like more national Newspapers and location periodic.

Would you to run aground every so often?

I do not understand the question.

Not a fan of the "Lookout warning".  I assume this is a que to you as the Captain that there has been a ship sighted in Open World.  Why not have the computer sail your ship too?

Pretty much removes any requirement for situational awareness.  You get the information and can immediately adjust.  Just my 2 cents.

---

The ship assist poll is missing an item that adds context:  "assist while in battle" was one option, the other was "implement assist functionality, but only after the battle is over".

I dunno, this seems all over the place. Things like previewing ships and repairs will almost certainly change at some point. Damage model 4 and open world will change many things as well. I'd focus this more on things you want to see in the finished game, like whaling, rather than improving the test bed that we currently have.

i only would like a Sailor shouting out, SAILS, ship ahead...

or some other words.

but no words poping up in the screen blink like Disco in red like  *ALERT* SAILS *ALERT* WEST *ALERT* ENEMY* anything like that,...

if you dont hear the sailor, you missed that, but you can turn your camera and look around, what you will do quietly often if your ship is filled with cargo and gold up to the crowsnest,...

also there are even in the shortest trailer of OW :

its pretty good to spot, you get a menu poping to hail or attack.

• Like 1

If a poll is going to insist that every question is answered then it shouldn't have Yes / No options without a Don't know choice as well.

I don't have an opinion on all of the questions leaving me to decide not to answer any of them or to answer randomly.

Would you like to see Whaling added to the game?
  1.  Not at all. This isn't Assassins Creed and we control our ships directly so it wouldn't make sense to switch for one activity. Whale carcasses weren't carted around in trade ships often either

Would you like to see drunk crews if you don't manage your crew properly?
  1.  I want to be able to make my crew drunk if they're getting unsettled about my leadership.

Would you like to see the feature - assist a sinking ship, implemented?
  1.  yes

Would you like to reduce the rate at which you can repair your ship at present?
  1.  Yes. Changes depending on how good your crew are as well.

Would you like to see increased dispersion from long range broadsides to encourage closer fights?
  1.  Yes

Would you like to see a preview of unlocked/locked ships in the main menu
  1.  Just unlocked ships. Doesn't sound like it'd make sense outside of sea trials and in the open world but if it has to feature then it should do so like this.

Would you like to see a Lookout feature implemented?
  1.  A written AND vocal warning

Would you like a journal feature implemented?
  1.  Yes

Would you to run aground every so often?
  1.  No, of course not. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be possible to run yourself aground though. 
Edited by Tettric

I enjoyed this poll. Does kind of sum up a lot of the debates. It probably could have been expanded even.

I don't know if you should take credit for the running aground idea Richard. It was suggested over a year ago at least and is a feature that has been begged for non stop ever since. :)

I can't really vote because I think some of these ideas are a bit too far down the line to be thought about this early. There are so many core mechanics that need to be finished first before stuff like whaling and drunk crews.

Just my opinion.

It's already been explained that stuff like whaling has been given thought but will not be implemented or thought about until much later in the game development - I knew this at the time of making this poll, but it's still good to get a yes/no off players so the devs have an idea for the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a fan of the "Lookout warning".  I assume this is a que to you as the Captain that there has been a ship sighted in Open World.  Why not have the computer sail your ship too?

Pretty much removes any requirement for situational awareness.  You get the information and can immediately adjust.  Just my 2 cents.

---

The ship assist poll is missing an item that adds context:  "assist while in battle" was one option, the other was "implement assist functionality, but only after the battle is over".

I think maybe if you assign a crew member to the crows nest ( if equipped) he could report a sail in the distance. No captain sat around looking through the spy glass all the time when he had crew members to do it. As far as situational awareness again you would use your crew as much as possible as well as yourself. I wouldn't want it to be like a auto target system or anything to make it seem unreal or have the computer sail for you. A captain didn't sit and push the WASD keys either they gave commands and the crew responded. Maybe we should have keys assigned to commands and not move the ship with any keys at all. Or even go to all voice commands.

Again I have not had the chance to actually play yet so my comments are based on YouTube videos of the combat gameplay.

I agree with your assist only after battle is over or maybe once enemies are a certain distance since in a open world it won't be a team death match experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Not just whaling; why not all fishing in general? Sure it's not all that exiting (although hunting a whale might be) but it would be a way to generate saleable resources, much like mining is in many space MMOs. And I see no issue in whaling in the game - it's a game, and it's portraying an historical activity. There's no outcry against all the humans being killed with splinters through their skulls, being crushed by falling masts and drowning.

However, many people will see an issue in this feature, and I wouldn't put it past the likes of Greenpeace to call for a boycott of this game for "supporting the cruel and brutal murder of these beautiful and innocent and majestic and wonderful creatures blub-blub-blub" (I am of course against whaling in real life - it is completely unnecessary and unavoidably traumatic. But I'm not much of a fan of Greenpeace who are often overzealous, sometimes forgetting that solving the world's problems is not that simple).

So perhaps whaling would be too "controversial". Let's not forget: many organisations love to jump on to any excuse to blow something they interpret as an issue waaay out of proportion. Such as the spearing of digital whales on a screen with digital spears, which is clearly a way for multinational supercorporations to indoctrinate people to support cruelty to animals. Funny how they're fine with the suffocation of hundreds of fish in a net.

My mother's family (Osborn) was involved in the whaling industry in Edgartown, MA. The following is an excerp taken from the Martha's Vineyard Museum.

Samuel Osborn, Jr.  - 

"By 1870 his interest had turned to the family tradition of managing the whaling fleet from Edgartown harbor. His holdings increased and by 1880 he was known as the largest individual owner of whaling vessels and property in the United States.

With such a large fleet of vessels, he naturally was involved in some remarkable maritime disasters and law suits."

All I'm saying here is that if whaling became part of this game, most likely I would participate in that aspect..

I think i would like to preview ships before i unlock them if there will be morecthan one ship tree to go.

It would help you decide which way to go. In past days you looked through ship plans before it was decided to build or not.