Game-Labs Forum

Question about Research and Refits

Suribachi

Obviously, some tech cannot be magically added into a ship without a refit.  For example, voice tubes with whistles as that would require engineering that likely isn't already there on existing hulls.

But some tech isn't like that and should be applied instantly.  For example, flag communication or tactics like braketing salvos or naval bombardment.

Maybe a dumb question, but is this how the research and refit system in the campaign actually works or is refit always needed to get all the research goodies?

15 hours ago, Suribachi said:

Obviously, some tech cannot be magically added into a ship without a refit.  For example, voice tubes with whistles as that would require engineering that likely isn't already there on existing hulls.

But some tech isn't like that and should be applied instantly.  For example, flag communication or tactics like braketing salvos or naval bombardment.

Maybe a dumb question, but is this how the research and refit system in the campaign actually works or is refit always needed to get all the research goodies?

I've never been absolutely sure about this.

If you research a lighter armor weight, then later refit the ship you will notice that, while in view mode, the ship still has the old weight assigned to it. Then when you click the refit wrench, it's now a smaller weight. So that needs an actual refit to apply. Ships parts of course need a refit. You would THINK the Vickers Range Clock wouldn't. But I've never been sure whether those advances in Control Stations actually take without a refit.

It would certainly be useful if there were a 'requires refit' notice as you gain the technology. Let's keep it simple stupid.

What I'd also like to see, unrelated to this, is the year a technology should have been discovered - as the popup with the technological discovery is made, and also in the prior list of advances, as well as those advances listed in order they were achieved.

• Like 1

personally it is kinda annoying that you need to refit to get the better torpedo range (and accurency, less dud chance) when you research them.

Maybe i am wrong but wouldn't they just load the new torpedos (and from a game perspective rather instantly) ?

17 hours ago, Cryadis said:

personally it is kinda annoying that you need to refit to get the better torpedo range (and accurency, less dud chance) when you research them.

Maybe i am wrong but wouldn't they just load the new torpedos (and from a game perspective rather instantly) ?

This is why I think the production of cannons, ammunition, and torpedoes should be an entirely separate facet from just the design portion of the game. Part of the design consideration for your ships should be the industrial capacity of the nation and the streamlining of production lines. Having 15 different caliber cannons across your fleet would a nightmare for production and logistics.